Guides for the Forum Read more... ×
Poradniki na Forum Read more... ×
krmkrx

Several problems with Heat Controller

Hello, I have a few problems with the Heat Controller and the Fibaro App. 

1. Some Heat Controllers frequently need to be calibrated again because the app shows a warning that the Thermostatic Head is not calibrated anymore.

2. All Heat Controllers have been updated to Firmware 1.1.0. However the app shows that an update is available for all Heat Controllers, the Firmware Version offered is the same. The update process can be started and shows as successful in the app, but the Firmware stays at 1.1.0. (The Version in Fibaro App says 1.1.0 in HomeKit App it says 1.1)

3. The app sometimes shows different error messages. I have attached them as screenshots. 

4. Some Heat Controllers randomly start opening the valve fully and closing it directly after. The LED indicator shortly blinks white before or while they do this. No user input or schedule change leads to this behaviour. This is disturbing especially at night.

5. The packaged Secure Codes which are stickied onto the back of the quick start guide are completely wrong. They do not match the engraved Secure Code on the device. It took me several hours to figure this out. This looks like a huge mistake during the production process and I doubt that I am the only one whose Heat Controllers got shipped with wrong HomeKit Codes. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Just now I got a new error message which I have never seen before. See attached. 

My Heat Controller also came with an incorrect Homekit code, I spend more than a hour on my knees in a dark corner where the thermostat is to figure out what was wrong. In total it took me more than 4 hours to get them working. I'm not pleased that this issue is not mentioned in any official documentation. I have also experienced most of the other issue's that krmkrx has.  

I hope that these issue's are fixed quickly and that i'm not forced to return the product to the retailer because I really like the separate temperature sensor. 

I've experienced all of the above plus the following:

1. The valve doesn't completely close the pipes. During calibration I can hear the valve close the pipe completely (water stops running) but at the end of the calibration flow the valve leaves the pipe open a little bit.

2. The external sensor sometimes reports the temperature of 0° which makes the valve turn on the heating, as per my automation scenario to turn on the heat if temperature drops below 15° the heat turns on.

Hi @krmkrx!

I've heard that support is already handling your case.

But just to clarify some issues:

On 10/15/2018 at 12:22 AM, krmkrx said:

1. Some Heat Controllers frequently need to be calibrated again because the app shows a warning that the Thermostatic Head is not calibrated anymore.

Not all valves are carefully finished and even though it may be a compatible type of the valve (e.g. Danfoss RTD-N) there still may be some misalignments which cause issues with the calibration.

In such cases, FIBARO Support can send a special adapter which may mitigate the issues.

2. All Heat Controllers have been updated to Firmware 1.1.0. However the app shows that an update is available for all Heat Controllers, the Firmware Version offered is the same. The update process can be started and shows as successful in the app, but the Firmware stays at 1.1.0. (The Version in Fibaro App says 1.1.0 in HomeKit App it says 1.1)

Yes, we know about this issue and we're working on a fix.

4. Some Heat Controllers randomly start opening the valve fully and closing it directly after. The LED indicator shortly blinks white before or while they do this. No user input or schedule change leads to this behaviour. This is disturbing especially at night.

Our Heat Controller does this to calibrate itself. It's unfortunate if happens and night, but the general problems with calibration may increase the frequency. Once the first issue is resolved it shouldn't be so noticeable.

5. The packaged Secure Codes which are stickied onto the back of the quick start guide are completely wrong. They do not match the engraved Secure Code on the device. It took me several hours to figure this out. This looks like a huge mistake during the production process and I doubt that I am the only one whose Heat Controllers got shipped with wrong HomeKit Codes. 

Just as you said, it wasn't a one-time mismatch, we have identified the batch and issued a press note:

Please login or register to see this link.

@Mikey M. ,

9 hours ago, Mikey M. said:

1. The valve doesn't completely close the pipes. During calibration I can hear the valve close the pipe completely (water stops running) but at the end of the calibration flow the valve leaves the pipe open a little bit.

We have identified this problem and it will be dealt with in the future firmware updates.

• Topic Author
  • 21 hours ago, Mikey M. said:

2. The external sensor sometimes reports the temperature of 0° which makes the valve turn on the heating, as per my automation scenario to turn on the heat if temperature drops below 15° the heat turns on.

@Mikey M. I can confirm that I am experiencing the exact same issues, too.

11 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

Hi @krmkrx!

I've heard that support is already handling your case.

Hi @I.Srodka!

Thank you for taking your time to answer. I really appreciate it. Yes, I am in close contact with the support and we are investigating together.

However, let me answer to your comments:

Not all valves are carefully finished and even though it may be a compatible type of the valve (e.g. Danfoss RTD-N) there still may be some misalignments which cause issues with the calibration.

In such cases, FIBARO Support can send a special adapter which may mitigate the issues.

Undoubtfully, this can be the case for some valves. However, the valves in my home are standard type valves (M30 x 1,5). Other smart thermostats like the Elgato Eve Thermo or the Tado Smart Thermostats don't have a problem with calibrating. I have used both competitor's products last year for more than 9 months without any problems. I have provided your support with measurements of my valves and even bought an extra measuring tool for it to provide you with the most exact data.

Our Heat Controller does this to calibrate itself. It's unfortunate if happens and night, but the general problems with calibration may increase the frequency. Once the first issue is resolved it shouldn't be so noticeable.

I understand that this happens, however after initial successful calibration I see no need for the Heat Controller to start calibrating over and over again. The app confirms that the calibration is successful, however just a few hours later, I can hear the Heat Controller going through the calibrating cycle again and again (every 10 minutes). I need to manually force calibration in order for this endless cycle to stop.  However it happens again after 3 - 5 hours.

Just as you said, it wasn't a one-time mismatch, we have identified the batch and issued a press note:

I understand that mistakes like this can happen. However the statement was issued kind of late and a lot of customers already had their products in their hands without knowing how to further proceed with the setup process. You cannot expect every user to be as tech-savvy as we are. Even your German distributor I have talked to was extremely disappointed by the lack of communication by Fibaro.

I am now in constant contact with your support for the past 3 weeks, however I don't see any real progress happening. I am very eager to help you guys out as much as I can because I truly believe in this and other products from Fibaro and I have a lot of them in my home. However I was never so disappointed by a product as with the Heat Controller. The unique benefit of the Heat Controller is the seperate temperature sensor which helps out a lot in having the best heating comfort, that's why I sold the competitor's products (Elgato, Tado) and bought Fibaro.

Your customers are trusting you with one of the most sensitive areas in their homes (Heating system) and the experience is nothing but disappointing.

It would help out a lot if you could provide a definite roadmap of the upcoming actions which you will do in order to solve all issues. This would help us decide wether to keep the devices and wait or to start a return process, which would be very unfortunate and - at least for me - the least favorable solution of all.

8 hours ago, krmkrx said:

I understand that this happens, however after initial successful calibration I see no need for the Heat Controller to start calibrating over and over again. The app confirms that the calibration is successful, however just a few hours later, I can hear the Heat Controller going through the calibrating cycle again and again (every 10 minutes). I need to manually force calibration in order for this endless cycle to stop.  However it happens again after 3 - 5 hours.

Even though the main calibration went successfully, the loose-fitting may take a toll in the later use (that is what we can observe here).

8 hours ago, krmkrx said:

I am now in constant contact with your support for the past 3 weeks, however I don't see any real progress happening. I am very eager to help you guys out as much as I can because I truly believe in this and other products from Fibaro and I have a lot of them in my home. However I was never so disappointed by a product as with the Heat Controller. The unique benefit of the Heat Controller is the seperate temperature sensor which helps out a lot in having the best heating comfort, that's why I sold the competitor's products (Elgato, Tado) and bought Fibaro.

We really do appreciate your support.

I can assure you that we are working on it and even though the actions are not yet visible, an update will arrive.