Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Scenes disappearing from Google Home

Ros

Question

Hi @A.Socha!

First of all, I'd like to let you know how much I appreciate the integration of Fibaro with GA Home Control! It is great that you guys have done this!

Question:

I had a number of block scenes synced with Google Home and it worked fine. 2 weeks ago all of them have disappeared from the Home Control and Routines and I am unable to sync them back (but newly created scenes sync just fine). Can Fibaro explain why/when something like this could happen? Are you guys updating the rules for which scenes can and cannot be synced and then running these updated rules on existing setups of users? Why would something like this happen?

I have created these scenes specifically or GH, synced then and never modified them afterwards.... These block scenes were turning on a switch and changing a global variable. These scenes seemed fine with the policy restrictions and synced  to the Google Assistant. Have you updated the policy so that block scenes that change global variables cannot be used in the Google Assistant anymore?

I think many of us would like to understand this for the future....

Ros

Edited by Ros

19 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • The way out is as follows: 

1 -  create a simple block scene that is triggered by some unused switch (I'm sure everyone has one), have this block scene change a global variable to a certain number. These types of scenes should be discovarable by Google Assistant.

2 - create a lua scene triggered by the same global variable. This scene should launch other lua scenes you need depending on a specific value of this global variable

This way you will get a multiple block scenes with each of these scenes launching a specific lua scene, doing what you want

This circumvents the stupid Fibaro restriction. 

Edited by Ros

Guest azevenhuizen

You can also do this by creating a fake Global Variable, so you do not need hardware.

btw, be aware that the scenes will only show up in Google Assistant and not in Google Home app.

You might need to say "Hey Google, update my devices" to rediscover the scenes

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_04/image.png.46fd00f8f0c3beecdd1aaa3249df8804.png" alt="image.png.46fd00f8f0c3beecdd1aaa3249df8804.png" />

I found below statement in the Fibaro FAQ. For me my roller schutters don’t have anything to do with Security but apperantly this is intentionally blocked? Did somebody already found a workaround?

Now with Google Home integration I’d like to expand my system to the complete house, but only is all devices are supported. 

If only Fibaro would provide this as a user choice instead of blocking it for everybody...

Please login or register to see this link.

For your safety, Google Home service does not allow to control devices connected with security. Devices of types listed below and scenes that control such devices will not be discovered:
    – Roller shutter controllers
    – Doorlocks (e.g. Kwikset, Shlage)
    – Intercoms (e.g. Mobotix, Helios)
    – Alarms (e.g. Satel, DSC)
    – Security sensors and barriers (e.g. motion sensors, door sensors)
    – Virtual Devices

LUA and Magic scenes are not available.

2 hours ago, SteveL said:

Same problem Here, only magic scenes appear

Does your Magic scene include one of the blocked devices?

• Inquirer
  • My scenes have none of the above (Just a switch and a global variable). They were discovered and worked for several months, then disappeared....

Report State API used to work, then stopped working...

In the long term people will stop using Fibaro app and will control their homes through Google Assistant/ Alexa.  Given the importance of this trend, I would put more priority to these type of developments in the overall roadmap for Fibaro.

On a different note:

Door locks (e.g. Yale) and alarm systems (e.g. DSC, ADT) are supported natively by Google Assistant.  Unclear why the same functionality is not available for Fibaro...

Edited by Ros

I don't think this is the problem. I have a two scenes, one is exact opposite of another but I can see only one. 

Guest cuprum

Yeah, same problem here - absolutely no scenes from F to Google.

About solutions i see

1. Use the Google's routines (Yes, checking the states etc... is real P.I.T.A., but at least some functionality it implements)

2. Use some custom "Google" system. Actually i'm using a google's

Please login or register to see this link.

(old cardbox) but this software/API is working on custom hardware to.

Actually the #2 seems me little bit better way to go (excl. the possibility to call native scenes) - because there is real Python available during the processing, and actually the Python code can process requests *before* they sent to assistant - so, also very basic voice commands are available. Hmm, and also other smart systems (Harmony, ...) or even smart home controllers :-[ can be controlled directly.

6 hours ago, Ros said:

The way out is as follows: 

1 -  create a simple block scene that is triggered by some unused switch (I'm sure everyone has one), have this block scene change a global variable to a certain number. These types of scenes should be discovarable by Google Assistant.

2 - create a lua scene triggered by the same global variable. This scene should launch other lua scenes you need depending on a specific value of this global variable

This way you will get a multiple block scenes with each of these scenes launching a specific lua scene, doing what you want

This circumvents the stupid Fibaro restriction. 

Will the block scene show in Google assistant or just the unused switch?

I do have the unused switch showing, but no scene (do you need to initiate a sync after creating the scene?)

When configuring Google Home the Scenes are recognized then they disappear from Google Home.  It doesn't matter if they are LUA, Block or Magic Scenes. It is irrelevant if you configure Google Home in English, Spanish (any version) or German. Fibaro Version 4.532

is there any update on when lua scenes will become available on google home.. all my scenes are lua based and would like to be able to select the ones that can be used in google home.

I found a workaround (around fibaro safety) so it seems to create scenes visible in Google Home which .e.g. press a button on a VD!!

1. Identify one switch which is marked as "other" or "light" in your system which you do not use (in this case "Dummy scene-switch")
    2. Create a block scene with a trigger from that switch when switch is on
    3. Then, this is important, as FIRST action set the same switch to off (I know, not neccesary for the real action but this is what Fibaro security check so it looks, not the second action... the first switch may not be a security device, virtual device, variabele or roller-shutter)
    4. Now choose AND and you can do whatever you want, for example press a buttion on a VD (see example)
    5. Now UNMARK the trigger from the switch in step 1 under "Triggering device" above the block scene to prevent actual triggering by the switch (so you can use it in more scenes)

It works for me!

/monthly_2019_04/image.png.06c8fb994fdbd2abbdd4fc3c1bc7c1d1.png" alt="image.png.06c8fb994fdbd2abbdd4fc3c1bc7c1d1.png" />

So does this mean that the only way anything other than a light can be triggered is by using a workaround and then saying something like "hey google talk to fibaro?"

I haven't been able to complete determine when Google will and will not sync a device or scene. Some of my alarm devices and scenes are being synced and some are not. The answers of others in this thread have helped to combine a solution that works for me for every type of scene activation I'd like to perform through Google Assistant. 

I have used both the trigger switch as a variable and the follow up trigger for any alarm event or other event you would like. 

Just a reminder: to use the routines in Google Home I have set my iPhone to English with Dutch as secondary language. I have had the region on US for a while to get the Routines activated in Google Home. Now I have returned the region back to the Netherlands. When I put my iPhone back to Dutch as language the routines disappear. 

First a normal Scene which I classified as 'Ambience' and is in the room Systems.  This is the scene that Google Home will just normally sync. 

The scene is called Sleeping. It is triggered when I tell Google Assistant "bed time". Google Assistant then triggers it's routine and shuts of all Hue lighting and triggers this scene from Fibaro. 

Fibaro shuts off all other lights and changes the variable 'ATSwitch' to 1.

/monthly_2019_05/image.png.81c99ac3b493670f8c785ef9d7a20ded.png" />

In the following scene called AlarmOn (which Google Home does not sync), I use the variable ATSwitch to trigger the scene.

This scene has the label security, which might be the reason Google does not sync it.

The scene then sets all kind of alarm devices on armed and pushes a message to our iPhones to tell us the alarm has been set. 

At the end it sets the ATSwitch variable back to 0 so it can be triggered again in the future. 

image.png.b14cad0e95423c9c71a1846523507185.png

This type of setup seems to work well for now. So thanks to previous posters about their findings. Hope this might help you. 

** note: you need to place a device immediately after the 'THEN' statement. I tried with an if-variable-then-variable scene, but those immediately disappeared from Google Home after a sync of the devices. 

Edited by Azkikr

I think that google assistant is not well integrated with Fibaro yet.... As the "bandage" I started to use IFTT service which perfectly and easly links Fibaro and google Assistant. If you have problems with integration you should try IFTT.

Would it be that hard for fibaro to implement a checkbox in scenes, which defaults to false, telling it if you want this scene to be used with google home?  I know that google home can be used by anyone telling hey google. If i am ok with anyone being able to turn on/of my lights why i wouldn't be ok with anyone doing some more complex action. And anyway it should be my choice not fibaros

Hey

is it workaround with global variable working now ?

because we were not succesfull to run with HC2 and Google Home

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Lately I get a white screen on the Google Hub when starting a Fibaro scene... the scene DOES run however.

Does anyone else experience this??