Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Instead of using home.fibaro.com can I setup direct VPN

rajp

Question

Hi All, I am finding that going via home.fibaro.com is taking over 15 seconds to connect and then time to time, I am not able to connect using that or the app until I reboot the HC2.. however, I am able to connect to my CCTV cameras which are on the home network with a specific port exposed. Can I setup HC2 to work on the same principle? So that if I expose another port on my home network, I would be able to connect to it directly? Any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.. Do I need to setup a VPN or something??

15 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • 6 hours ago, Sjekke said:

hi @rajp 

Doesn't your router supports VPN connections?

I am sure it does.. it is a BT Homehub 5 and has a section for VPN.. I am just not sure how to set that up...

Yes, VPN is reliable solution how to connect to HC. Im using home NAS as a VPN server to connect to. Than connection to HC is performed the same way as on home wifi. And you don't have to rely on fibaro remote access (it used to be often down, but its quite stable now). 

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, Igy said:

Yes, VPN is reliable solution how to connect to HC. Im using home NAS as a VPN server to connect to. Than connection to HC is performed the same way as on home wifi. And you don't have to rely on fibaro remote access (it used to be often down, but its quite stable now). 

Ahh, I have synology NAS.. will try and setup the VPN on that and see how it works.. thanks 

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, Sjekke said:

If your connected via VPN, your battery will drain faster.

Ahh.. that’s a shame.. other option is to expose the HC2 to a port on the router and then connect thru that but that leave it open to the world.. not keen on that...

If you could start the VPN connection when you use the Fibaro app, this would be great. If not used, stop the VPN. But if your not connected, I think you cannot receive pushmessages.

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, Sjekke said:

If you could start the VPN connection when you use the Fibaro app, this would be great. If not used, stop the VPN. But if your not connected, I think you cannot receive pushmessages.

Not too concerned about push messages. Just want to be able to control some parts of the HC2 when I am out without having to wait 20 seconds... the messages get delivered to me by email too.

Hey,

Might be I misunderstood your request, but you want to be able to see your cameras from outside?

Use the Fibaro app, and add your cameras to the interface, works perfect for my setup.

However, as a backup routing into my system (if the Fibaro-portal goes down) I have a TeamViewer client running on the computer I use as a Plex-server. 

This machine is on the same network so it lets me use the TeamViewer VPN directly into my home network.

It´s a safe solution because you won´t need to expose any ports in your router, TeamViewer does all that for you, best of all it´s free...:)

• Inquirer
  • On 10/30/2018 at 6:35 AM, Sjekke said:

Can you acces your Homehub via the UI or is a ISP controlled?

sorry, not sure I understand the question..

On 10/30/2018 at 8:13 AM, jegereinar said:

Hey,

Might be I misunderstood your request, but you want to be able to see your cameras from outside?

Use the Fibaro app, and add your cameras to the interface, works perfect for my setup.

However, as a backup routing into my system (if the Fibaro-portal goes down) I have a TeamViewer client running on the computer I use as a Plex-server. 

This machine is on the same network so it lets me use the TeamViewer VPN directly into my home network.

It´s a safe solution because you won´t need to expose any ports in your router, TeamViewer does all that for you, best of all it´s free...:)

I do have teamviewer running but using it from a mobile device is a pain due to screen size.. totally agree, I do not want to expose any ports on the router so will stick to using the Fibaro.home...

On 10/31/2018 at 10:23 AM, rajp said:

sorry, not sure I understand the question..

UI = User Interface

ISP = Internet Service Provider

• Inquirer
  • 12 hours ago, Sjekke said:

UI = User Interface

ISP = Internet Service Provider

Ahh.. thanks for that.. nothing is blocked from the ISP.. can only access the UI when within the home network. From outside, it’s only thru the Fibaro home..

As mentioned above, I use VPN of home NAS to access the local network from outside. In my case its QNAP and Im using its myqnapcloud service to reach my current IP address (I have no public fixed IP). Its all for free, or within the price of NAS :-). This VPN enables you much faster connection and responses from outside in case of mobile app and web interface as well. IN 90% of cases Im using fibaro remote service, but in case I want to adjust some settings or have more reliable connection to HC2, I always use VPN. 

• Thanks 1

I use the VPN services of my router with DDNS ...works like a charm ... 

• Thanks 1