Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Alternative OS to HC2

Guest Rybka

Guest Rybka

Hi,

is anybody tested some linux distro on HC2 box? 

HC2 is nice piece of HW, but I'm not happy how things and logic in Fibaro works. So I'm thinking to use it as a PC for  Openhab or Domoticz...

Is it possible? Where is OS on USB stick or internal drive? How is Z-WAVE part connected? Is it serial device?

P.

There's USB memory stick as a hard drive inside the box... and that's all I know...

If you want to use another system, then it is probably cheaper to sell the Homecenter2 and buy a Raspberry Pi with z-wave. It is only a fifth in size, much quicker than the Homecenter2, and use Linux.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thomasn said:

Raspberry Pi ... much quicker than the Homecenter2

i would not sign that, check benchmarks by Roy Longbottom, raspi 3B is like Atom 1.66GHz, not to mention bus, eth and usb gaps.

• Like 1

Guest Rybka
  • Topic Author
  • I already have Raspi3b with z-wave gpio module but it has no external antena so range is smaller than HC2. Also there is no SSD. DIMMs.... 

Anyway, thanks for all opinions but they are off topic. My question was If anybody did alternative OS on HC2.

59 minutes ago, Rybka said:

If anybody did alternative OS on HC2

it's illegal. do you know about it?

1 hour ago, Rybka said:

it has no external antena so range is smaller than HC2

I solder external antenna now device works very good as for me.

to buy

Please login or register to see this link.

how to solder

4 hours ago, 10der said:

it's illegal. do you know about it?

It's not illegal, you can do with it what you want, you can destroy it with a hammer if you like,.

@

can you explain why it would be illegal to reuse the hardware for a project like this? 

1 hour ago, akatar said:

It's not illegal, you can do with it what you want, you can destroy it with a hammer if you like,.

you you you...

thank you :) but I have another DIY for games plus HC2 is a commercial product with (c) and now I not saying about invalidate warranty after "box opening"... 

Edited by 10der

youre welcome :)

(c) means copywrite, but you are not making a copy of the hc2,

as long as you install legal software, the complete set remains legal (only you lose youre warranty)

Edited by akatar

HomeCenter 2 is based on thr 300-series chipset launched in 2006. Comparing Fibaro HC2 and  RaspberryPI 3+ with a highspeed microSD-card, Razberry 2 GPIO module running Z-Way 2.3.8 with the latest 6.81 firmware is similar to comparing USB1.0 with USB 3.0. 

This is how you upgrade the antenna on the Razberry 2

Guest Rybka
  • Topic Author
  • Just last login to say bye bye, going back to opensource

Guys, keep the clock. :)  When he back to us again... 

2 hours ago, Rybka said:

to opensource

Remember all that glisters is not gold.

Guest Rybka
  • Topic Author
  • No. Never. Unit sold and I'm back on domoticz.

Testing Hass.io 

• 3 months later...
    On 11/1/2018 at 12:45 PM, Guest Rybka said:

I already have Raspi3b with z-wave gpio module but it has no external antena so range is smaller than HC2. Also there is no SSD. DIMMs.... 

Anyway, thanks for all opinions but they are off topic. My question was If anybody did alternative OS on HC2.

You can buy ssd disc, take external USB-box (3,5") with external power supply,  installing here Raspian or other OS. And its possible to boot from this disc and forget for microSD cards.

• 3 weeks later...
    On 11/12/2018 at 10:51 PM, Guest Rybka said:

No. Never. Unit sold and I'm back on domoticz.

Testing Hass.io 

HASS.io.... you need a huge amount of effort just to build a tab/group but there are a lot of devices that are supported. 

Domoticz, (my favorite) need to admit that I was there for a long time. I had a full z-wave setup but the reliability (crashed database, lost z-wave nodes) was painful. Also sharing coding between members is limited.

IMHO, fibaro combined with an opensource platform is required for now.

• 9 months later...

I stoped using the Fibaro HC2 as standalone controller because I simply don't like the fact that the Fibaro Developers are extremely slow and for the last 3 years(for which I use Fibaro) there wasn't any big update to the system, except for the new crappy app Home Center which is on the app stores for more than 11 months now and it still doesn't show all my devices... So what I did...
    A little background first: I was using Domoticz for many years in my office and I have some diy devices at home. Then 3 years ago I bought Fibaro HC2 but I kept the Domoticz system, where most of my automations and logic live. During the last 3 years I was also testing Home Assistant Hass.io from time to time but in wasn't mature enough for me, up until this summer. During my summer holiday I decided to test Home Assistant again and I was astonished by how much better it has become. Since I don't like the Fibaro mobile apps' interface and I got in love with home assistant's love lace interface and how customisable it is I decided that I am moving to Home Assistant.

I had an old PC with some Core i3, 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD which was perfect for the job. I installed Ubuntu Server on it and Docker for hass.io. Since it is a proper PC with a fast SSD drive, it is rock solid and doesn't have the problems of a raspberry pi such as slow sd card read/write speeds, slow usb 2.0  and so on.

Also, since I have Z-Wave devices all around my house I kept the Fibaro HC2 and luckily Home Assistant has an integration for HC2 and it works like a charm. I basically can monitor and control all the devices connected to HC2 from Home Assistant.

And as an Apple user I can control all my devices using Siri and Apple Home App which is cool.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
    W dniu 18.12.2019 o 14:30, miroslav.petrov napisał:

I stoped using the Fibaro HC2 as standalone controller because I simply don't like the fact that the Fibaro Developers are extremely slow and for the last 3 years(for which I use Fibaro) there wasn't any big update to the system, except for the new crappy app Home Center which is on the app stores for more than 11 months now and it still doesn't show all my devices... So what I did...
    A little background first: I was using Domoticz for many years in my office and I have some diy devices at home. Then 3 years ago I bought Fibaro HC2 but I kept the Domoticz system, where most of my automations and logic live. During the last 3 years I was also testing Home Assistant Hass.io from time to time but in wasn't mature enough for me, up until this summer. During my summer holiday I decided to test Home Assistant again and I was astonished by how much better it has become. Since I don't like the Fibaro mobile apps' interface and I got in love with home assistant's love lace interface and how customisable it is I decided that I am moving to Home Assistant.

I had an old PC with some Core i3, 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD which was perfect for the job. I installed Ubuntu Server on it and Docker for hass.io. Since it is a proper PC with a fast SSD drive, it is rock solid and doesn't have the problems of a raspberry pi such as slow sd card read/write speeds, slow usb 2.0  and so on.

Also, since I have Z-Wave devices all around my house I kept the Fibaro HC2 and luckily Home Assistant has an integration for HC2 and it works like a charm. I basically can monitor and control all the devices connected to HC2 from Home Assistant.

And as an Apple user I can control all my devices using Siri and Apple Home App which is cool.

roller shutter work normal? scene? 
    you have some tutorial?