Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

1 channel stopped working.

Stav242

Question

I've got a Fibaro Double Switch 2 ZW5 , and (CH2) has stopped working. It was ok for about 2 months running an air extractor fan motor and just recently has stuck in the always on setting. 

I'm using smartthings V3 hub, tried excluding the whole switch and re-adding, still the same. Can't get a response from the second channel. It's just says not responding.

Any ideas?

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Stav242 said:

I've got a Fibaro Double Switch 2 ZW5 , and (CH2) has stopped working. It was ok for about 2 months running an air extractor fan motor and just recently has stuck in the always on setting. 

I'm using smartthings V3 hub, tried excluding the whole switch and re-adding, still the same. Can't get a response from the second channel. It's just says not responding.

Any ideas?

You should slave a relay to switch a inductive load like a extractor fan. As the manual says Switch 2 designed for resistive loads, use it on inductive loads and the contacts may weld.

Smack the module with a screw driver handle may knock them loose but thats a short term fix.

Depending on the wattage of the fan  a Dimmer 2 would switch it if you haven’t the room for a extra slave relay.

Just wanted to reawaken this post from two years ago, to say thanks @Jamie mccrostie.  I had the same problem as the original poster and your solution worked perfectly, regardless of whether a cross-head or flat-head screwdriver was used ?.

I do not know what caused the contacts to weld or stick, as the lights controlled by this channel are 6x 18W LED lights = 108W resistive load.  However, the day before the problem occurred (when the lights became stuck in the always-on setting), one of the LED bulbs failed... I speculate that this caused a surge, is this even possible?

Seems I have to replace the Double Switch 2.  Fortunately I have another that is used for only one channel so I can swap them over.