Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Motion Sensor - Poor Results Feedback

kirtash

Hi guys,

I'm new to Fibaro solutions, not new to HomeKit devices and gadgets. That, I'm looking for some opinions from users with Motion Sensor installed.

I'm using an iPhone XS with iOS 12.1.

First question would be, do we need an iPad/AppleTV/HomePod to properly use this gadget? Help says NO, but I'm starting to doubt it. (Automations seem to only work if we do have an iPad or AppleTV, tested and confirmed)

I bought 2 units, turned them ON as requested, paired both, have the same settings on both. Total disaster, I have never had such bad experience with any other brand or device.

Please note that for all the tests, I have both devices right next to each other, so they should work the same.

Tamper control:

• Device1 usually flashes when I grab it after a while.
  • Device2 flashes 20% of the times, lately, never. Even after reset, delete the app, install again and confirm settings.
  • Settings are exactly the same.

Motion Detector:

• Both device 1 and 2 detect, never at the same time, never with same precision.
  • Device1 keep the motion trigger ON, even when facing the wall for 10 minutes without any movement.
  • Having automation as simple as turning ON a light after movement, does not work. All lights and switches are operated by HomeKit, different brand, but work flawless since day one. (While testing today I noticed that automations ONLY WORK if we have a iPad/AppleTV hub at home.)

Temperature Detector:

• Takes a LOT of time to detect any temperature change (from other user experience: this loads every 15m and only if theres >1º changes, might be the case here)
  • They never have the same temperature results, even when sitting next to each other there's a variation of 1-2º (same possible explanation as previous)

Light measure:

• Light measure seem to be random and not updated often, it could easily move between 5 lux and 20lux (from other user experience: light changes only trigger for >200 lux changes)
  • When facing the same source of strong light, Device2 jumped to 300 lux after 10 minutes. Device1 didn't even update (same possible explanation as previous)
  • Repeating the previous step over and over again, produced always different results, but light measure was always slow and wrong. 80% of the times didnt update at all. (same possible explanation as previous)

Often on both devices I get "Connection Faulty".

Overall I have the feeling I just wasted money for nothing, there's no way I can make this usable at my home. Any of you guys have the same experience? 

Please share... thanks

Edited by kirtash
Updated the question based on user replies

As I understand you are using HomeKit  (not Z-wave) sensors, right? Since I don't have any experience with HomeKit devices ( WiFi), my answers below related to Z-wave devices only.

2 hours ago, kirtash said:

Device2 flashes 20% of the times, lately, never. Even after reset, delete the app, install again and confirm settings. 

Device1 keep the motion trigger ON, even when facing the wall for 10 minutes without any movement. 

Usually this happens when the battery is low.

When facing the same source of strong light, Device2 jumped to 300 lux after 10 minutes. Device1 didn't even update

Takes a LOT of time to detect any temperature change

The factory default for this parameters as follow:

• Interval reports are disabled.
  • Light intensity has to differ at least 200lux  from the last value to be reported to the controller.  Looks like is  working fine according to your description.  
  • Temperature measurement will be performed every 15 minutes and temperature value must differ at least 1ºC to be reported. So your differences of 1-2ºC make sense.

May I suggest to change the parameters (if it possible on HomeKit) according to your needs.

Honestly these  motion sensors are best in class (at least for me) and are working very well on Z-wave.

• Topic Author
  • Thanks! That does give me some context.

This are HomeKit version yes, working with BLE from my understanding.

1. Differ on light intensity explains a lot, now I understand why moving the sensor away from the light slowly made no changes at all. 
    2. Same with temperature, if it takes 15m to update, it's probably OK
    3. Batteries were totally new, both cases were closed and there was a paper clip protecting the battery.
    4. I often have to complete delete the unit, hard reset and install everything again just to have it respond to anything.
    5. I cannot control parameters on iOS other than (motion sensor sensitivity, tamper settings, visual indication and detection sustain time), tried all of them, no luck.

Still can't explain why tamper detection doesn't work in one of the devices.

Or why sensor can't trigger a simple switch. (While testing today I noticed that automations ONLY WORK if we have a iPad/AppleTV hub at home.)

Hopely I get from feedback from Apple users. thanks

Edited by kirtash

• 5 months later...
  • Topic Author
  • I'm afraid not, it's been a couple months now and I'm using the sensors daily. The often work or don't work. I get "no response" a few times, one day later they are back online.

Tried in 3 different houses, different wifis, different HomeKit access (iPad vs AppleTV).

Tamper check never worked again, luckily that's not something I need or rely on.