Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

knuth

Question

For devices that support Network Wide Inclusion (NWI), is there any reason not to use NWI when they are included? As most new devices are Z-Wave+ (or at least support NWI), I would think that NWI should be the default method when including a new device.

3 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Further to my own question above:

• If a device has been added using NWI, does that make any difference after the inclusion process? Does it for example affect the way the device is later seen in the Z-wave network? Or does the NWI option only have an effect during inclusion (which is what I would expect)?
    • On the same page there is another option labeled "The device is located far from the Home Center" or something similar. What does this option do, in practice? Is there any drawback in using it?

Just looking at the description, to check both of these boxes seems like the safe thing to do. Is it?

That's exactly what I'm wondering as well. 

I hoped on some input from the Fribaro team or some else on this.

This post might bring it under attention again?

On 1/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, knuth said:

For devices that support Network Wide Inclusion (NWI), is there any reason not to use NWI when they are included?

No, always try NWI. If it fails, you can always bring the controller closer to the device or vice-verse (though that gives a different "mesh"). Nobody enjoys walking with his HC2, I understand that ;)

On 2/17/2019 at 7:59 PM, knuth said:

"The device is located far from the Home Center" or something similar. What does this option do, in practice?

It had to do with power levels and security, but it does not do much, keep it "checked". There is no such thing as "high power" on Z-Wave, only "normal" (which is the maximum) and "low" (reduced).

On 2/17/2019 at 7:59 PM, knuth said:

Just looking at the description, to check both of these boxes seems like the safe thing to do. Is it?

Yes, do check both options.

NWI allows a device to be included even when there is no direct connection possible (ie it is too far away to get a signal through without repeaters).  Clearly, the device has to support NWI, but that is not enough... The repeaters have to relay the NWI inclusion request, older devices don't do that. The reason has to do with how repeaters handle messages from "foreign home IDs", technically speaking a device that was never included (or factory reset) uses a random Home ID and pre-NWI repeaters do not want to relay such messages. In that case, the device can only be included "in direct range".

So try it, but if it does not work after 2-3 attempts then understand this might be "normal" in your specific situation.

To diagnose this kind of issue, you will need a "Zniffer".

If you move devices, I recommend doing a mesh update on this device and e few neighbours. Though that is not strictly necessary if your devices supports "explorer frames" which your Z-Wave Plus does...

If you want to fully understand what I am saying, you'll have to study how Z-Wave routes packets.

I can recommend this excellent series of post by a former Fibaro user, @robmac, on the OpenHAB forum, we had many long and fruitful discussions and he decided to post the result...

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1