Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Range Extender AEOTEC 6 - Template

Brand68

Question

Hi Community

Fibaro says, that my extender has no template. Well, I downloaded this template which was suggested. Should I install this and what is this template for? Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks for you help and....enjoy your day

Marc

8 answers to this question

Hello

i think the instructions say you need to email them to the support team. The email address is on the download dialog box

hope that helps if not, me know and I’ll get you a screen shot of the dialog box I mean

Ian

• Like 1

hello @Brand68,

I don't think you need a template. The Range Extender doesn't have any functionality itself.

It will work without a template. Adding a template through support will take 2-3 years, if it ever gets one.

I have an older verision of range extender myself. I replaced it after a while with a z-wave plug as every powered device

has at least the same functionality as a range extender + something usefull. E.g the smart plug has buttons and a LED ring that allows range testing.

BR - kro

• Like 1

Just now, Jamie mccrostie said:

I believe the range extender to be a more powerful reciever transmitter than any other devices IMO

Possibly a bit better but there are 2 reasons why it cannot be "a lot better". (1) There aren't that many different Z-Wave chips. In fact, it is based on the same SoC (called series 500) as all of Fibaro's or Aeotec's Z-Wave Plus modules. (2) Z-Wave uses unlicensed bands worldwide, but unlicensed bands are still "regulated" (they are more restrictive than licensed bands). In the USA the FCC will check if the device does not exceed specifications. De website claims its better but forgets to mention... better than what?

Now Aeotec will send a lawyer to me because sales of their product plummets. You know, if they make claims without proof, I can dismiss the claims without proof.

All mains powered Z-Wave (with very rare exceptions) act as repeaters. That is what this "mesh routing" is all about.

2 hours ago, kroeatschge said:

I don't think you need a template.

Correct. If you include (add to your controller) a mains powered device, it will become a Z-Wave repeater. No template needed.

2 hours ago, kroeatschge said:

I replaced it after a while with a z-wave plug as every powered device

has at least the same functionality as a range extender + something usefull.

Yes. One small thing though: if you insert a cable the quality of the reception likely changes because the antenna is close to the wire. It might not matter a lot, but antenna stuff is a bit of voodoo. The repeater elegantly avoids this issue by providing no extra functionality :) If like to know more about Z-Wave routing I have some posts about that topic.

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 14 hours ago, kroeatschge said:

hello @Brand68,

I don't think you need a template. The Range Extender doesn't have any functionality itself.

It will work without a template. Adding a template through support will take 2-3 years, if it ever gets one.

I have an older verision of range extender myself. I replaced it after a while with a z-wave plug as every powered device

has at least the same functionality as a range extender + something usefull. E.g the smart plug has buttons and a LED ring that allows range testing.

BR - kro

Thank you for you suggetion, it will probably be the simplest solution to buy a new one, instead of waiting for the support :) The fact, that the extender does not have any possibility to test is awful.

Great thanks to all. Now I learned a lot about repeater and how they work or probably not work :)

I wish you a great day

Marc

I had it placed outside the house in a drybox and bought it because I thougt a range extender should have better range than normal powered z-wave products.

Trust me, it doesn't.

The lack of any range testing functionality and lack of any other possibility to tell if it is connected or not was very disappointing.

The wall plug I used instead provided at least the same range. Additionaly it has a built in range test.

Even without the range test functionality you can easily test if it  is within range:

- press the button and check the app if the controller registered the change

- activate it in HC2 and see if the LED lights up

BR

46 minutes ago, kroeatschge said:

Trust me, it doesn't.

That you for confirming what I said!

2 hours ago, Brand68 said:

Great thanks to all. Now I learned a lot about repeater and how they work or probably not work :)

Thank you for your kind words.

Question: can we take a step back and talk about the problem this repeater should have solved (but probably doesn't)? Z-Wave routing is tricky, it is not like routing on the internet. The chances that your Aeotec. is broken is almost zero! You were able to add it to the controller so it is working! And it is "repeating" messages as soon as the sending node selects it as a repeater. We need to talk about "reconfigure mesh option on HC"...

The topic has been moved from "

Please login or register to see this link.

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".