Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

I'm soo unhapppy with Fibaro now

JanRemco

After 5 years or so using Fibaro i'm about to give it up. With the latest updates i'm experiencing so many problems that i just wanna give up.

- I can no longer add Dimmer 2 modules, they are added as a completely different device.

- All Wallplugs that were configured as energymeters are suddenly reset to switchable devices and one after another are turned off.

- My Danfoss heating devices are dropped from the zwave network, effectively wishing i had manual control again for this sucks.

- The dutch support [email protected] does not reply.

- Devices showing up unconfigured, or worse unconnected. 

I sooooo wanna go back to 4.180. Is there any way possible? I don't wanna be an unknowingly betatester for their promisware.

I do understand you.

Version 4.520 was really bad. All devices unconfigured, nothing was working. Every two days restoring a backup and hoping it is getting better. Support supposed a dying z-wave chip. 

With version 4.530 for me the probs are solved. System is working again.

Fibaro must find out why this issues occure in the near future. System is not useable in this condition.

You want to give up? What then? How many devices do you have? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JanRemco said:

After 5 years or so using Fibaro i'm about to give it up. With the latest updates i'm experiencing so many problems that i just wanna give up.

- I can no longer add Dimmer 2 modules, they are added as a completely different device.

- All Wallplugs that were configured as energymeters are suddenly reset to switchable devices and one after another are turned off.

- My Danfoss heating devices are dropped from the zwave network, effectively wishing i had manual control again for this sucks.

I sooooo wanna go back to 4.180. Is there any way possible? I don't wanna be an unknowingly betatester for their promisware.

You cannot go back to 4.180 by yourself. But Fibaro should have the possibility to do it. However, I am not sure that your scenes will be available. Contact Fibaro Support.

That said, I have better experience with 4.530 but I did the following to make it stable

1) upgraded to 4.530 from 4.510.

2) made a backup

3) restored to the previous firmware version 4.510

4) turned the Homecenter2 off - removed current completely

5) ran firmware 4.510 for a couple of hours

6) restored to the latest firmware 4.530

7) ran firmware 4.530 for a couple of hours

8) restored to the backup made in 2)

A long way to a stable system but it worked for me. Perhaps some old data is deleted in the process...?

Try it. It is Saturday and there is snow outside. Make a cup of coco and use a couple of hours :-) You have nothing to lose but time....

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Thomasn said:

A long way to a stable system but it worked for me. Perhaps some old data is deleted in the process...?

Try it. It is Saturday and there is snow outside. Make a cup of coco and use a couple of hours :-) You have nothing to lose but time....

In Denmark it's maybe snowing but here is no snow. ;)

• Like 1

Hi, i have very good experience with Fibaro support by telephone.

Call them for a downgrade or other solution.

English support: 0044 845 154 2852

• Thanks 1

• Topic Author
  • I dont even wanna think about how many devices i have. I think around 30, ranging from bui

7 hours ago, Mib said:

Zwave is reliable, its just Fibaro that isnt. So maybe domoticz, or one of the other possibilities. I have around 30 devices, lots of dimmers built in, so leaving Zwave alltogether isn't an option. But the problem isn't Zwave, it is Fibaro. And if i was sure that a complete restart of HC2 and then adding all devices by hand would solve it, i would. But i have seen reports on this forum that that isnt a solution either. So for now i'm trying to live with a handicapped house. 

Or maybe call them for a downgrade. Not sure what i can do.

@

Please login or register to see this link.

I know how you feel. Every time when bigger issues appear I think about a comlete removement of home automatisation. 
    But it would cost a fortune to eliminate my 130 devices and live in a non intelligent house with no troubles. 

Contact the support anyway. They help.

I also have a terrible feeling. I have my HC2 now 2 1/2 year and fortunately just in trying fase, because the system is too unstable. After updating to 4.530 my experience was a total horror. After 2 hrs it was still running the update. The following morning I shut down my computer and started the fibaro finder again, but nothing. It was visible in the finder, but I could not seen it anymore in the browser. From that moment on nothing I did worked.

I completely performed a full reset, but nothing helped. Today I fully removed the HC2 from the fibaro cloud.  So actually nothing was visible anymore. Then I started adding the HC2 again from scratch. But again nothing! It was seen as a new HC2 but I could not access if. The Fibaro Finder found it, but the browser could not access it. I thought of going to a Homey, because they accept fibaro devices. But to be sure I looked at their support site. But the problems I saw there were not better than for Fibaro.

I guess I will stop using home automation all together. It is a disaster. Maybe I will try after a while again but not now.

with this update I had also the worst experience...   total brick.. went back to a backup file of November 2018. 

With this the story's of others and also the release of a new app that is in the state of alpha I know what is going on again...

CES...    CES and the CES is the most important of all to them... so as we all know the advertisement can begin.. selling and so on..

I want a stable system.. 

a system that when I update it ALWAYS and ALWAYS SUCCEED! 

Fibaro won't release updates or apps as final when they are beta or even alpha version.

I want a one day response when I have a question or brick of the system. Spend thousands of euros on this and this love the system of Fibaro but the service is lacking for years... I don't see improvement that's the worst thing.

I want Fibaro to take care and expand the plugin section... This should be a big thing to the company and a section where where they can make the difference. People are going to make other things or even leave Fibaro because this section isn't what it should or could be.

there should be a survey so Fibaro could improve. Most of us are technicians or programmers... so nothing to worry about the.

last year I was happy again with my stable systems and updates went good again..  now major fallback Fibaro.. STEP UP

The problem for me was that the system had been stable for a year, so I wanted to invest in al large number of items, but as I thought it a good idea to bring the system totally up to date before continuing. That was my biggest mistake. That is why I decided to stop for now. If my supplier (Robb) cannot get the HC2 to work it will be final. Otherwise I will follow the forums for some time and if all is positive I may reconsider otherwise sell the whole lot.

@

Please login or register to see this link.

Before I bought Fibaro HC2 in Dezember 2014 I spent days reading in vorious home automatisation forums. There were loads of complaints about instability, update policy, mesh network problems, ...

I never the less bought it, built a test site and decided to unse it for my new house. But I also deciced not to use it for alarm systems, door opening/locking, heating control, smoke sensor. 

You ask if I would do it again? The answer is definitly no.  Too many probs in the last 4 years. 

The problem is, the market is full of immature and defective products.

I have already tried a lot and all cook with water.

I switched to Fibaro for a year before I joined HomeMatic for 6 years, until IP came and after that everything went rather wrong, then Mediola and Homee, in between Qivicon.

Everything not really round and satisfactory, only Fibaro is by far the most expensive unreliable system, which I had so far.

maybe we have to make a official statement against Fibaro...  it's unacceptable in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, D-Vine said:

maybe we have to make a official statement against Fibaro...  it's unacceptable in my opinion. 

Well hold on your horses!

I had my share of problems with Fibaro Home Center 2 from devices being deleted from system all of a sudden, non configured devices, wrongly included devices, never ending "Starting services" to z-wave freezing and delays. I was several times on the edge to give up, to throw all to garbage and to start looking for another solution. So, yes, there was times when I was deeply disappointed and "soo unhappy" as author of this thread wrote in title of this topic.

So why then I'm still here? Because I hate to give up and I want to learn. Most of the problems are solved by help of some prominent members of this forum and by learning how things should be done with z-wave system. Besides, nobody can convince me that there is any other z-wave system for HA without problems. It is enough to go around the internet and read other platform forums. But forums should not be considered as decision point which system to use since most of the people comes to forum only when they encounter problems. ;-)

I admit that after upgrading from firmware 4.180 to new 4.5xx I did complete rebuild of my system from scratch. I preform recovery to factory settings on my HC2 and then carefully reset and include all of my >100 devices. First mains powered devices starting with one placed nearest to the gateway toward ones that are farthest away. When that was done then I included all my battery powered devices with same order. After every 10 devices or so included, I was preforming mesh network reconfiguration just to make sure that gateway and other neighbor devices know their location and communication path. After rebuilding network I changed default parameter settings for all devices carefully just to reduce z-wave network traffic to a possible minimum and still keeping needed functionality. Of course all slave devices that I don't use I have disabled and hide. During this action I have found that Aeotec network extender gen5 is causing z-wave network to freeze every time when gateway requested neighbor list. So I remove it from network and replaced with Fibaro smart plug. Since then no more network freezes!

BTW I didn't have to remove most of my roller shutters, dimmers or switches from their location because they all have momentary switches connected to S1 and that can be used to reset and include them again. Only switches I had to remove are for gates and garage door since they don't have any switches connected. Also biggest problem were door/window sensors of older version since they have to be brought near gateway to be included.

After network was done then I imported back all my VD's and scenes and no more problems since then. OK, OK, almost no problems :-)

I'm still having some issues with lags and delays in z-wave, but they are not exceeding few seconds at most and they show up only at evening. I think I know the reason so I'm working now on solving it.

Building home automation with z-wave devices requires some knowledge at least a basic understanding how it works. Also it is recommended to avoid solutions which do not have alternative, if God forbids, gateway dies or get stuck. At the end gateway and devices are electronic devices and they are prone to fail. Wireless communication has its disadvantages too, so building z-wave network requires careful planing of location for gateway and mains powered devices which can relay other devices communication. Sometimes we have to make compromises to achieve stable network. Remember that cheap solutions are mostly not the best ones.

BTW My HC2 was working stable on 4.520 for more than 40 days before I upgraded it to 4.530. Upgrade went smoothly and without any unpleasant surprises.

So before you give up or start writing official statement against Fibaro just stop for a moment and when you encounter problems with Fibaro Home Center just take a moment and ask yourself:

"Am I doing the right thing to solve the problem or I lack knowledge and I should first get some information?"

Most of my biggest problems with HC2 where solved by simply restoring latest backup. So I have also question for you:

"Do you make backups regularly and always after doing any changes on your gateway?"

• Like 2
    • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Sankotronic said:

I admit that after upgrading from firmware 4.180 to new 4.5xx I did complete rebuild of my system from scratch. I preform recovery to factory settings on my HC2 and then carefully reset and include all of my >100 devices.

I have rebuilt my system with >100 devices countless times, but that doesn't make it right. Some of us just want a system that works, that we can have some fun with, tweaking it and getting the most out of it.

It's very tiring after so many years of backing this horse to still have to consider that the next time I upgrade I might need to spend >5 full days (what it takes me now to do a complete rebuild) doing a complete rebuild, especially when you are upgrading to the next "stable" release not a beta and are hounded every time you enter the mobile app to upgrade to the latest version.

My upgrade to 4.510 brought with it dead nodes on my master HC2 that cannot be fixed by Fibaro support (they said that they are working on it, but it's complex), almost 100% unconfigured devices on slave HC2 (took me a couple of days to figure out the problem in which I stupidly left if broken for 10 hours longer so tech support could log in and have a look, but they didn't, whilst at the time it was 2C outside (during the day) and my house was starting to cool down ... the heating was on the slave and stopped working and I didn't realise until my wife complained that it was getting cold in the house - not a fun discussion to have when you have a family with young children) and other zwave traffic issues that weren't there before, plus around a 1 second longer lag on my automated lighting that wasn't there before 4.510, plus other issues.... 

There is a balance between being flexible and pushing back and I don't see the original post as being unwarranted. It's very difficult to stand by year after year and wait. It's not Fibaro's first year or two in business. I bought my first HC2 over 6 years ago. It's shocking to think that later this year it will be 7 years since I bought in to this system. At the time I was sure that in 5 years I would be sitting on a stable platform. Over that time a lot of new devices and functionality have been released, but I still don't have the dream of stability or assurance that I can upgrade without major issue. 

Things are moving in the right direction. The problem is, the home automation market is moving very fast now, so the speed of improvement/enhancement needs to match this or else we wait for someone else (probably a lot bigger and better funded) to finally come along and crack the market.

Let's see what happens in the next 5 years. I would like to think that will not be writing on this forum complaining about Fibaro in the same vein as the system will either have passed over the threshold or be a dead. 

Come on Fibaro. You have a huge base of people that will help you succeed. Figure out how to do this before it's too late.

46 minutes ago, amilanov said:

I have rebuilt my system with >100 devices countless times, but that doesn't make it right. Some of us just want a system that works, that we can have some fun with, tweaking it and getting the most out of it.

Hi @amilanov ,

I'm really sad that you still didn't achieve stability of your system after so many rebuilt. Hope you did follow some guidelines for z-wave network. It is no surprise that you didn't find cause of your system instability. It is proved to be difficult and time consuming due to lack of some diagnostic tools on Fibaro Home Center. It took me some time with guidelines and code from @petergebruers and @cag014 and some other forum users to find source of my problems on my system. Also helped using Suphacap z-wave sniffer from Suphammerbut that one also require some knowledge beforehand.

1 hour ago, amilanov said:

My upgrade to 4.510 brought with it dead nodes on my master HC2 that cannot be fixed by Fibaro support (they said that they are working on it, but it's complex), almost 100% unconfigured devices on slave HC2...

That was exactly moment when I decided to make first and for now last rebuild of my system. I didn't experienced such disaster with non configured devices, but I noticed a lot of problems and long lags or delays in my network. Since before that I build network with lack of knowledge and for sure did some mistakes it was a good time to do everything from scratch and remove all garbage from my system. In my case it solved many problems for which I don't blame only Fibaro but also myself doing some things without first collecting some knowledge from experienced users. Fibaro user manuals are not really helping in that matter. Once I even requested help from Fibaro support and that was not the best experience unfortunately.

There is a balance between being flexible and pushing back and I don't see the original post as being unwarranted....

I'm not trying to defend Fibaro. They have their share in making system buggy and I still wonder if they even test new software before releasing it. What I wanted to point out is that from my 3 years of experience with Fibaro there was also many things that went wrong because of me and my lack of knowledge and missing Fibaro user manuals.

Let's see what happens in the next 5 years. I would like to think that will not be writing on this forum complaining about Fibaro in the same vein as the system will either have passed over the threshold or be a dead.

I'm still optimist despite many problems I had with Fibaro system in the past and might have in near future. Many things that they bring lately with new system like new way of making backups, ability to transfer system to new HC, and many small things like clickable device icon and even new app (which still need a lot of work to be done), shows that they ARE listening to users and they DO care, but it takes time to get there and path is not always easy.

• Topic Author
  • On 1/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, Mib said:

I do understand you.

Version 4.520 was really bad. All devices unconfigured, nothing was working. Every two days restoring a backup and hoping it is getting better. Support supposed a dying z-wave chip. 

Fibaro must find out why this issues occure in the near future. System is not useable in this condition.

10 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

Well hold on your horses!

Sanktronic, i do not understand why we should not hold Fibaro accountable. This is not the first time that the software does not work, and that Fibaro stays silent. If you go to their website, or see the marvelous possibilities they advertise on youtube, the Fibaro environment is very reliable and can safely be used, and works perfectly with google home and everything.

I deeply regret using Fibaro for heating, i don't want to know what it is costing me extra this winter. I am so happy i do not relay on Fibaro for an alarmsystem, etc. The endless hours it costs me to repair everything, a hobby should be fun, this isn't. 

Anyone still knows how the software was on release 3.50? And how long it was unfixed? That wasn't months....

• Like 1

Sankotronic, 

You and I are at different points in our life cycle experience with Fibaro and home automaton. 

I passed my point of doing the "last" rebuild 2x rebuilds ago and yet I still know I will need to do at least 1x more rebuild before this is over.

I agree that user error has a BIG part to do with system stability. Not reading up and educating yourself is not a good enough excuse and yet I suspect A LOT of issues raised in this forum are just bad practise. 

The problem however starts when there is inadequate material from the manufacturer, the support model doesn't work and the diagnostic tools that we need are not made available. These 3x things are fully in Fibaro's court.

I did just learn of Cag014's tools and am using them. They have helped a great deal already. I will check out your other recommendations as well. Its promising to have these tools at hand at last. 

As of right now my system is stable (baring a long list of outstanding issues) but I am on v4.51 now and this is the version that created all the errors that I mentioned including almost 90 unconfigured devices, so I expect it will only be a matter of time before the system breaks again and needs to be restored from a backup. This cycle should never have happened in the first place. People report that upgrading to 4.53 fixed the problem but how do they know that for sure. It took my system over a month to seemingly randomly corrupt and create the unconfigured devices, although system preformance did degrade before that point. Only time will tell which release is stable. 

This situation is all very black and white for me. Either Fibaro sort out stability or someone else will come along and take the market from them. They have been very lucky up until now that they got into this market early enough to given them the time to get to where they are, but with technology it has been proven time and time again that if you don't evolve you will cease to exist. It's a brutal market. 

My loyalty to Fibaro is less than 5% right now. If someone comes out with a stable product I will jump as soon as its proven to be stable. I believe most Fibaro users would do the same. If however, Fibaro create a stable platform it would be nearly impossible for me to move. My loyalty would go to over 95%. 

Stability, stability, stability. We as users have been shouting this out since day 1. 

PS: I would like to think that my build is fine, my devices are densely packed and I rebuild mains powered first, starting from close to each hc2 and moving out, and then battery last, although I only have around 12 battery powered devices. I do not mesh reconfigure every 10 devices through. Do you know that this is actually necessary or is it just your belt and braces approach? 

On 1/26/2019 at 9:45 AM, JanRemco said:

When did you add the Dimmer 2 to the system? What is added long ago? Did you perform any configuration changes in the device?

Did you perform reset procedure on the module?

FIBARO Wall Plugs? What do you mean that they are turned off one after another? They are turning themselves off automatically? I do not entirely understand and I need more details :)

Dropped? Meaning that there is no communication with them?

Case number, please :) Always provide the case number as I can instantly forward it to our Support team to check.

Restore backup. Unconfigured devices may be fixed with either soft-reconfiguration, which rarely works to be frank, but restoring backup works almost always. If both of this ways fail then one has to contact Support.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, Mib said:

I am glad that 4.530 solved the issues you experienced! :D

@Thomasn , I like when users create such procedures! I completely agree that such procedures should not be needed at all, but... every installation is different as users have different integrations and devices. To put it simple, it is impossible for us to test the update in every possible environment, but I can assure you that we do that in as many scenarios as we can.

@rvelthoen , I'll definitely let the Support know about your message! :D

On 1/26/2019 at 6:27 PM, JanRemco said:

But i have seen reports on this forum that that isnt a solution either. So for now i'm trying to live with a handicapped house. 

I can assure you that many reports are posted in emotions (as any issue evokes negative emotions and that's completely understandable), but most issues can be solved quickly by Support. So, if you experience any issues contact the Support ;)

21 hours ago, JozefNL said:

After 2 hrs it was still running the update. The following morning I shut down my computer and started the fibaro finder again, but nothing. It was visible in the finder, but I could not seen it anymore in the browser. From that moment on nothing I did worked.

If the update freezes or it won't finish: - force shut down the gateway and leave it for a couple of minutes; - start it again and login / if not possible start recovery procedure; - after successful login: if UI is empty try restoring backup; - if the issue persists, contact Support. This was actually discussed a couple of times on the Forum.

16 hours ago, D-Vine said:

maybe we have to make a official statement against Fibaro

As a customer you are free to do so.

10 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

since most of the people comes to forum only when they encounter problems

True and nothing's wrong with sharing issues and looking for solutions, but this way the feedback seen on forums is usually not completely true.

8 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

shows that they ARE listening to users and they DO care, but it takes time to get there and path is not always easy.

I posted about it many times. We listen but patches, fixes and introduction of new features simply take time.

32 minutes ago, JanRemco said:

This is not the first time that the software does not work, and that Fibaro stays silent

What do you mean that we stay silent? Here on the Forum? This is users' Forum administrated by FIBARO, but this is not an official Technical Support channel nor a channel to handle warranty issues, statements, etc. Yes, we use the Forum to share changelogs and gather feedback but it is not used as a CRM system.

13 minutes ago, amilanov said:

The problem however starts when there is inadequate material from the manufacturer, the support model doesn't work and the diagnostic tools that we need are not made available

As mentioned before, we are listening to our users and you can share any suggestions on the Forum in the dedicated category for suggestions. When it comes to "inadequate material from the manufacturer" - what do you mean exactly? We provide manuals online with FAQs, we created the Knowledge Base, we created the Marketplace - we are providing more and more material almost on a daily basis.

Support model? Do you mean Technical Support? We provide email and phone Support so you can contact us easily - however, we do not provide 24/7 assist and it is not possible at the moment.

Diagnostic tools - well, this would definitely help advanced users as they know what they need and how to interpret what's going on in the system; on the other hand, lay users will have issues to grasp all of the information coming out of the system. Of course, the tools may be optional so that users will decide whether to use them or not, but this may cause more confusion for new users. And I am saying that we say "no", I am saying that we have to consider all possible outcomes from our doings as a company.

24 minutes ago, amilanov said:

This situation is all very black and white for me. Either Fibaro sort out stability or someone else will come along and take the market from them. They have been very lucky up until now that they got into this market early enough to given them the time to get to where they are, but with technology it has been proven time and time again that if you don't evolve you will cease to exist. It's a brutal market.

You are a member of the Forum longer than me and I've been reading that "FIBARO was lucky and we will vanish from the market if it won't deliver what users demand", but over 2 years passed and competition is still the same. I am not saying that we do not have any competition and we do not have to work hard. We have to be innovative, fast and we have to constantly improve, and we want to deliver what users demand. But, home automation market is very young and it is not really "shaped" yet. There is still much work to do in this field, and not only in the product line, but in home automation solution in general (connectivity, third party support, etc.). I can assure you that every report from users who experience instability or massive "unconfigured devices" issue is treated seriously, but every issue has to be treated separately as all installations differ. Sometime it is the gateway's fault so the warranty procedure is started, sometimes it is an old device forgotten in the system - after exclusion the system goes back to normal, sometime it is simple user's doing - not following manual, procedure, etc. We are helping in every case - no matter what. Moreover, we strive to bring what users want and, in most cases, ideas come from this Forum ;) So I ask you to bare with us and provide constructive feedback, suggestions and ideas as these are what we need in order to react and deliver :)

• Topic Author
  • 43 minutes ago, T.Konopka said:

When did you add the Dimmer 2 to the system? What is added long ago? Did you perform any configuration changes in the device?

Did you perform reset procedure on the module?

I re-added these Dimmer in the last month serveral times. It worked ok before, i have it around 2 or 3 years i think. 

I have re-added it in the latest version, 45.30, the beta 45.21,  45.20, to experience the same problems. Ofcourse i reset it (exclude from ZWave), several soft-reconfigures. Everytime after the first include it is an unknown device, after one or two soft-configure it is recognized as a dimmer 2, and every time i reconfigure it because it does not perform auto check which kind of light is in it etc. 

FIBARO Wall Plugs? What do you mean that they are turned off one after another? They are turning themselves off automatically? I do not entirely understand and I need more details :)

These Fibaro Wall plugs are behind eg my coffeemaker, dishwasher and only used to measure energy, the on/off is not in use. I cannot make it more clear than this, without any action the on/off is enabled, and the devices are turned off. They should be allways on. This dit not kappen at the same time for several Wall Plugs.

Dropped? Meaning that there is no communication with them?

Yes, i have to force "Mark if dead" to "no", otherwise half of my devices are marked dead.

Case number, please :) Always provide the case number as I can instantly forward it to our Support team to check.

I have no case number, as the dutch helpdesk never replied. I mailed on 7 jan, that is now three weeks ago. ([email protected])

Actions taken by me to get the Dimmer 2 devices working:

Restoring a backup.

Moving the HC2 near to the dimmers.

Excluding and including several times.

Contacting dutch helpdesk by email

The Dimmer modules themselves are still working via hardware switches, it is just the Fibaro HC2 that is completely unreliable. Also, as a nice bonus, the association with HC2 is not set in the devices I add, so I cannot see on screen or phone app if i turned a light on by wallswitch. It took me a long time to find how to correct that error.

Edited by JanRemco