Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Associations

knuth

Question

Task:

To control one channel on the RGBW controller/dimmer remotely through a double momentary switch (using S2) on the Dimmer 2.

Solution, and some questions:

1. Install the RGBW unit and its load, add it to the HC2 and assign its outputs. In my case, all 4 are "input/output" to control separate monocolor LED strips.
  2. Install the Dimmer 2 and its load and add it to the HC2
  3. Select the master module of the Dimmer 2.
  4. Go to Advanced - Associations
  5. Select the 5th Association group ("Dimmer on S2"), since the RGBW we want to control is a dimmer, not an on/off function
  6. Check the box in the M column for the appropriate RGBW channel and click Save.

First question: Group 5 is specifically for a multilevel switch, e.g. a dimmer. Why is there even an S box available for this group? Should it ever be used?

Second question: There is a box for the HC2 at the top of the Associations list. What is the effect of ticking this box? Should the HC2 normally be ticked in the M column as well? 

Third question: I have seen a screen dump somewhere for a similar case. Here, the Dimmer itself was ticked in the associations list. I have avoided this, as it does not seem logical to include an association from a unit to itself. Any views?

Fourth question: I assume that using Group 5 transfers all the normal switch commands: Single click for on/off, click and hold to dim up or down, double click for full light. Correct?

Fifth question: In step 3 above, would it be possible (or even preferable) to select the slave unit used to operate the dimmer function instead? 

The reason I ask these questions, is that I have successfully followed the 6 steps above, with slight variations, and get variable results. Some units seem to work seamlessly, others are a little erratic (no response on single click, hard to control dimming function etc.). The 'slight variations' are in the way I did the associations, and are related to some of my questions. If anybody can provide suggested answers, I can focus on any remaining issues.

4 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Since no one has responded to my five questions, I have done some thinking and a little testing myself. Below is an update, but the problem is not solved and your thoughts and experience would still be appreciated.

Q1: I thought maybe that the S association in Group 5 is needed to convey on/off commands (i.e. single click on S2), making it necessary to check both the S and M box. When I tried to check the S box for the appropriate RGBW channel on the Switch 2, however, all other output channels (units) on the RGBW dimmer were automatically checked for S in Group 5 as well. This makes operation in one room interfere with others. No good!

Q2: It seems reasonable that checking associations for HC2, in addition to the unit I want to operate, would keep the HC2 updated on any changes made from the switch. I have not been able to verify that to be the case. 

Q3: Checking for a unit to associate with itself still seems stupid. I have not tested it.

Q4: I still expect group 5 to convey all commands. As shown in Q1, my hope was that checking both S and M would make sure both on/off and dimming was conveyed. Pity that doesn't work as expected.

Q5: I have not tested associations from a Switch 2 slave unit yet. I keep testing associations on the master unit, which seems more reasonable. Would it make a difference?

Testing has been limited, as my smarthouse is a vacation home used mainly in the summer. I will continue testing on occasional visits in the months ahead, but guidance from other users would be very helpful. 

U can use s2 on a Fibaro dimmer dimmer 2 if u connect a double switch.

u can use direct associations or only use scene activation, might be a problem. If u use scene activation and associate. I had this issue so I had to remove scene activation.

if u wanna only use scene activation when u can look in the manual of the dimmer with ID u have to use for one click, long click and so on. Then u can do scenes with your configuration. 

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for responding. As you will see from my original post, my problems are related to controlling an RGBW dimmer through  the Dimmer 2 S2. This works in principle, and in some cases even in practice. The devil is in the details - in this case in the way associations are set up, hence my detailed questions.

No scenes are involved in my setup, so far. If later I want to control either the dimmer (the S1 load) or the RGBW channel (the load controlled through association by the dimmer S2), I expect to control those variables directly, not by reference to any associations. But first I want my switches to work, consistently and predictably. So - any feedback on my five questions, anyone?

• Inquirer
  • I reopen my query on associations on the HC2, although most of my previous questions remain unanswered. Here is my current list of questions: 

Question 1:

Setting associations, I normally use the first slave unit. The response after storing is always “ID xxx: Received association report from group 1” etc., where xxx is the ID of the master unit. I therefore wonder:

-          Should associations be set using the master unit or the first slave unit? Does it matter?

-          If either of these is used, will associations always be the same across all other slave units?

Question 2:

If I set associations from one device to another, in groups 3 or 5 for instance, the setting is shown something like this:

Multichannel associations:

To set: 1(0), 29(2)

Power (on device): 1(0), 29(2)

[The text may be inaccurate; I have translated it from Norwegian to English]

The first set of numbers, “1(0)”, refers to the HC2 association. The second set, “29(2)” refers to the associated device, but I do not recognize “29” as the number of that device. What does it refer to? What does the “2” mean? I know I can see the associated device having a check mark in the table to the right, but the setting in the groups table to the left is more readily available – if I could interpret it.

Question 3:

I have at times failed to check the “S” or “M” box for HC2, sometimes in Group 1, sometimes in other groups with associations set. This has resulted in erratic synchronization with the apps, as expected. Again, I wonder:

-          Is there any reason not to check the “M” box for all associations groups always?

-          Why doesn’t standard configuration ensure that this is done from the outset?

-          It is possible to check both “S” and “M” for the HC2 in the setup for many devices. Is there ever a need to check both S and M? Would it be harmful to do so?

Question 4:

All these devices are AC powered (no battery devices). Still, after updating the associations table, the device frequently displays: “Waiting for wake-up or synchronization”. How can a wake-up or sync be kick-started?