Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Home/away precense based on WiFi for iPhone

kevin

Question

Hi,

I want to add a precense state for all family members. I don’t want to use GPS because it (eat) drains the battery. I have read a lot on this forum about changing a variable if the phone of person A is connected to the home wifi. On this forum there are already a lot of ideas to get it working, but a lot of these topics are old.

Who can tell and help me to achive this?

What do I want;

Fibaro to show who is home and who not. But all based on the precense of the iPhone connected to the home wifi.

I want to thank you guys already!!:-D

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Presence based on Wifi is a problem... mobile phones go into some sort of "sleep" state so you will not be alble to ping them or detect them on the wifi network all of the time.

GPS does not drain your battery, the fibaro GPS implementation does.

Without going into scripts and stuff like that to much, this may be a much more simple solution.

Create an "Away" scene and a "Present" scene per fam. member, let this scene change a global variable called something like "dad_home_status" to "yes" or "no"

Use IFTT ,make an applet which triggers when you leave or enter an area and then connect that to the FIbaro scene.

I'm testing this for over 2 months now and it works very good, fast enough that I'm even opening my gate with it automaticly.

Good luck.

In IFTTT you can make a Geo Fence for leaving or entering an area. IFTTT can trigger a small scene e.g. for notifying someone of turning off the alarm. 

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

Hi,

Looks very nice.

I am a little bit lost. I joined the link you gave and it surprised me that only giving my Fibaro ID I can see a list of all my scenes?? Who else can acces? How safe is it?

Okay for me not a big problem because I have a separate alarm system what is connected with my HC2 to let in case of alarm my lights flickering.

My alarm system is connected with a binairy relais so I am rather safe???In my idea I can not have interference or "stranger" come in  my alarm.

Just curious.

1 hour ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

In IFTTT you can make a Geo Fence for leaving or entering an area. IFTTT can trigger a small scene e.g. for notifying someone of turning off the alarm. 

I think it is only possible to detect the arrival in an area and not when you leave this area.

If you use iPhone. I implemented a solution using Apple Homekit and the Homebridge solution to make Virtual Devices visible on the Home application.
Afterwards it is very simple to use the detection of the entrances and exits of the home of the family members and to activate a button of a VD to indicate the presence or the absence of this member at home.

You can see my HomeMode solution here:

But for the moment i described my solution in French. I will probably translate it into English here soon.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MAM78 said:

I think it is only possible to detect the arrival in an area and not when you leave this area.

Both are possible

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I only see these Applet when I search under the name Fibaro

Just make a new applet. 

Push new applet

Push +This

Fill in “location”

Select location icon

Select “exit” icon

Select Geo Fence

Etcetera

• Inquirer
  • Wow, thanks for all the response. 

Coming week I will go and try with IFTTT.

Kevin

On 2/3/2019 at 7:57 PM, SmartHomeEddy said:

No thanks

IFTTT is great. You van turn on the light if an astronaut lands on the moon ;-)

That one must be made for "dark side of the moon" ;-)

• Inquirer
  • Good evening,

I have it working with IFTTT and it's working really good. But I also have a VD so I can change the variable manually if the variable is wrong I can set it right with the push of a button. But I also want that if the variable named Kevin_locatie is weg (away) (based on IFTTT location) then the icon of the VD should change. This doesn't work automatically only when I push the button in the VD. I want that the VD icon is also changing automatically based on the variable, what did I do wrong?

Kevin

Please login or register to see this code.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_02/Naamloos.png.2afa4884646085724e0a7e1385c4df31.png" alt="Naamloos.png.2afa4884646085724e0a7e1385c4df31.png" />

• Inquirer
  • Does anyone knowns the solution for my issue above this ^ ^. :roll:

Try this;

local iconThuis        = 1027;
    local iconWeg          = 1028;
    local iconWerken    = 1029;

vDeviceID = fibaro:getSelfId()

if fibaro:getGlobalValue("Kevin_locatie") == "Thuis" then
        fibaro:call(vDeviceID, "setProperty", "currentIcon", iconThuis)
    end 
    if fibaro:getGlobalValue("Kevin_locatie") == "Weg" then
        fibaro:call(vDeviceID, "setProperty", "currentIcon", iconWeg);
    end
    if fibaro:getGlobalValue("Kevin_locatie") == "Werken" then
        fibaro:call(vDeviceID, "setProperty", "currentIcon", iconWerken);
    end

On 2/3/2019 at 5:27 PM, Vinisz said:

Hi Kevin,

Presence based on Wifi is a problem... mobile phones go into some sort of "sleep" state so you will not be alble to ping them or detect them on the wifi network all of the time.

GPS does not drain your battery, the fibaro GPS implementation does.

Without going into scripts and stuff like that to much, this may be a much more simple solution.

Create an "Away" scene and a "Present" scene per fam. member, let this scene change a global variable called something like "dad_home_status" to "yes" or "no"

Use IFTT ,make an applet which triggers when you leave or enter an area and then connect that to the FIbaro scene.

I'm testing this for over 2 months now and it works very good, fast enough that I'm even opening my gate with it automaticly.

Good luck.

Hi Vinisz,

do you have, or any one has a solution to get presence state by wifi?

Currently I use IFTT, it works so so, the accuracy is not good enough for me. I pass by my home frequently a day, but not going home.

I use a DrayTek Vigor2925 Router,

but I have no idea how to read out the login info of my iphone with Fibaro

• Inquirer
  • On 2/3/2019 at 10:27 AM, Vinisz said:

mobile phones go into some sort of "sleep" state so you will not be alble to ping them or detect them on the wifi network all of the time.