Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wiring for Dimmer2 with Bypass2 as the load

Kay

Question

Hi guys

I’ve spent hours trying to find something online about this and tried every combination I can think of without any success. I’m hoping someone has experienced and solved this before.

I have a Dimmer 2 (A) that I need to operate remotely to control another Dimmer2 (B).  There’s no load at Dimmer A position, only live and neutral. I’m using a 3 position momentary switch (centre off) at both Dimmer A and B positions. The only way I can get Dimmer A to work and control Dimmer B remotely is by connecting a lamp. When I change the lamp for a Bypass2, Dimmer A no longer works as a remote switch. Obviously having the lamp connected permanently is not feasable.

Any advice on how to wire this in? Or is it down to the settings?

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Adrian

7 answers to this question

You say you've got 2 wires in Dimmer A place.

Are you sure it's live and neutral? Especially if it's really neutral? I think it's probably power for lamp... 

Can you provide the schema of actual electric connections? I think it might look somehow like this:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_02/1428482391_schema1.png.02d375e6fd5a7ece62878902318e1e9c.png" alt="1428482391_schema1.png.02d375e6fd5a7ece62878902318e1e9c.png" />

But you need:

1160736879_schema2.png.9957bbe4fd83e2bc223ca107650cd8f6.png

Sorry for poor painting, but I'm lazy :P I hope it's readable. 

• Inquirer
  • Hi Pogo

Thanks for getting back to me.

The issue I have is that I don't have any wires (and would prefer not to run any) running between Dimmer A or B so I can't setup as you have drawn. I only have a Live and Neutral feed straight from the distribution board at Dimmer A position so I need this Dimmer to act as a 'remote switch' if possible. I'd like to be able to press Dimmer A S1 or S2 and have it control the dimmer at Dimmer B position.

If I switch the Bypass2 with a lamp, DimmerA is able to control DimmerB remotely. Its seems as soon as I switch out the lamp at DimmerA position for the Bypass 2 that it stops working. Is there maybe a setting or a rewire required in order to get this to work?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Thanks,

Two options.

Dimmer A, remove connection between Sx and N. Then connect N on the module to N line. Leave bypass connected to N and Q as is. This is a "3-wire" setup with bypass as a load and no lamp.

Alternatively, it might be possible to leave it as is but  (a) recalibrate (see parameters to trigger it) and note the parameters. If it still cuts out, toy with the maximum brightness parameter, decrease it in steps of 10 until it is OK. I have not tested this with zero load, but with 0.5 Watt loads so my guess is it should work. But I would use the first setup (3-wire)

• Inquirer
  • Thanks petergebruers

I've wired DimmerA using the first option and it's at least letting me pair it to the hub (smartthings). The issue now is that it's not registering any switch presses in the logs so I'm unable to switch it on/off. Attempting to change the on/off status in the app fails as well.

Do I need to change anything in the settings with this wiring setup?

35 minutes ago, Kay said:

smartthings

Since I don't have a SmartThings hub, I cannot test this, but I happen to know that Device Handlers for Fibaro devices kan be downloaded from:

Please login or register to see this link.

That would be "step 1"

I don't know if that helps with "registering clicks" but anyway the "Dimmer 2" uses "scene activation" to distinguish double click and similar things. That is maybe "step 2"...

You need to set Parameter 28, Scene activation functionality, to 1 to get "command class scene events"

If you want to change parameters, not a clue on SmartThings, but I recommend this to other users:

I "googled" a bit and this post sounds interesting and at least worth trying...

TLDR: If the device handler does not expose parameters, then you might try to "Use the Zwave Tweaker.". 

That's all I know...

• Inquirer
  • That's all really helpful, thanks. I'll work through it and post the results once I've got it all working