Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Association vs scene - smoke alarm

knuth

I have a smoke alarm (FireAngel ST-630 with Sprue Z-wave-module) which I would like to trigger switching off a relay when an alarm is given. Basically, there are two ways to make one device trigger another, associations or scenes. Using association has the advantage of being independent of the HC2 gateway, so that is what I was looking for at first.

The supplier of the alarm tells me, however, that association will not work in this case, since the appropriate association group uses a "sensor notification reports and not a set command". I am a little out of my depth here, and would appreciate any comments. The complete documentation for the device is enclosed. There is no Fibaro template for this device, but I do not expect that to make a difference.

• Do you agree with the supplier that association to a switch or relay is not possible in this case?
  • What is a good and simple way to set up a scene for this function: 'If smoke alarm on device xxx then set switch yyy to "off"?'

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• 11 months later...

Were you able to get this to work? do you recommend this product?

I am looking into smoke detectors that would work with Fibaro and cant seem to find many options

• Topic Author
  • On 2/1/2020 at 12:08 AM, TN92 said:

Were you able to get this to work? do you recommend this product?

Yes, I think so, but not through association. I have installed 9 FireAngel ST-630 + one heat sensor FireAngel HT-630 (HM-F-NEU). They are all included in an alarm scene (LUA), which alerts me through push messages and e-mail if an alarm is triggered. This a version of Sankotronics "Unversal Alarm Scene" published on this forum. Additionally, in my version of the script, any alarm (smoke or heat) will switch off the relay for the cooker. This is a required safety feature for the heat sensor (switching off the cook-top in case of overheating), but I have decided to switch off the cook-top for smoke alarms as well. If smoke alarms go off, I do not want the frying pan to still be on when we all evacuate the house!

I gave up on doing any of this through associations. Hence, if an alarm goes off while the HC2 is down, the sirens will still sound. But the cooker switch will not be activated and no push message etc. will be sent. I can live with that. 

The FireAngel products seem robust, but as with any such detectors we don't really know until they are called to action (hopefully, never!). Mine are all 220 V powered and interconnected, which should make them reliable as a stand alone smoke alarm system. On the negative side, they are a bit bulky. The z-wave modules are battery powered, but I have not had to replace any batteries yet (one year). 

Good luck with your purchasing decision and installation.

19 hours ago, knuth said:

Good luck with your purchasing decision and installation.

Thank you very much for your thorough reply, much appreciated!

Do you recommend a good source to buy these?

• Topic Author
  • In Norway, ThermoFloor are the wholesalers, but FireAngel products can be purchased from several outlets and online stores. I bought mine through my electrician/installer. I notice that in the UK FireAngel has their own online store: 

Please login or register to see this link.

, but I don't know if they ship to other countries. Try googling "FireAngel" + your country; something should come up.

• 4 weeks later...
    • 10 months later...
    Guest Kint

Hi Knuth

Do you get the motion detection in the fire angel to work? Did you apply any template to it?

May I ask what kind of siren you are using? I try to get the Aeotec siren 6 to respond to alarm from fireangel.

//Kint

• Topic Author
  • I have never used the slave unit called "motion detector" in these smoke alarms. I am not even sure that there really is a motion detector in there. I will have to look again at my user manuals. 

I don't think there is a template for this unit, but it works fine without. The z-wave module documentation does not indicate any parameters that should be accessed using the template, making a template less important.

I only use the built-in sirens. As my nine FireAngel units are interconnected, all sirens will sound if one unit is activated. That gives plenty of sound throughout the building! Additionally, as explained above, my alarm scene will send push and e-mail alerts to me, informing me if I am not in the building.