Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Smart Implant doesn't always work with Garage door

play3man

Question

Hello, as there is no forum dedicated to Fibaro Smart Implant, i don't know where to post this question - so i'm trying it here.

I have a Fibaro Smart Implant connected to Garage door. It is connected from Out 1 to impulse output of Garage doors. If this two wires from garage output are connected, garage door will open, close or stop.

As I power source, I'm using external power adapter with 12v output. Implant works okay, without any problems it can be added to z-wave network. Im not using external button with it to open/close the garage. So I only want it to be controlled remotely with mobile/pc etc.

Basically I connected it the same ways as is shown in manual. I also changed all the parameters etc.

The problems is, that with this settings and connection scheme it worked for few hours without any problems, but, after some time it just stopped working without any reason. I tried to readd the Smart Implant to z-wave network, but it didn't help.

If I manually connect the two wires that Fibaro should connect, garage door is working without any problems. I also check the operation of smart Implant with multimeter - it beeped for one second as it should. But, only if the cables are not connected to the garage door. If I connect it to the garage system, Fibaro is just stop connecting it without any reason.

Thanks for your help!

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Hi,

I am about to do the same with 2pcs smart implants and 4 gates. I find your post interesting, because it might be my issue too... Just to make sure I understand you:

- did you connect the gate opener's implulse connectors to OUT1 - GND+ START/STOP pins? (on the right side of diagram)

- when you found that it does close pins of OUT1, then did you check if the other 2 pins OUT2 (GND2+START/STOP2) can be closed?

- when this issue happens, do you see in Fibaro device page of smart implant that OUT1 or OUT2 state is changing: ON or OFF?

- do you mean that when it stops working then HC2 looses connection with smart implant?

- what mA current does flow between gate openers impulse pins? Smart implant can handle up to 150mA as far as I know...

Thanks and hope there is a solution for this.

• Inquirer
  • 14 hours ago, johndeere said:

Hi,

I am about to do the same with 2pcs smart implants and 4 gates. I find your post interesting, because it might be my issue too... Just to make sure I understand you:

- did you connect the gate opener's implulse connectors to OUT1 - GND+ START/STOP pins? (on the right side of diagram)

- when you found that it does close pins of OUT1, then did you check if the other 2 pins OUT2 (GND2+START/STOP2) can be closed?

- when this issue happens, do you see in Fibaro device page of smart implant that OUT1 or OUT2 state is changing: ON or OFF?

- do you mean that when it stops working then HC2 looses connection with smart implant?

- what mA current does flow between gate openers impulse pins? Smart implant can handle up to 150mA as far as I know...

Thanks and hope there is a solution for this.

1. yes, i connect it to the OUT1

2. i dont know right now

3. Nope, because the out is set to automatically turn off after one second, like a impulse button. So fibaro send the signal to turn it off, but it doesnt

4. No, it is still connected to the fibaro

5. I managed to measure max 40mA on OUT1.

But, in the meantime i found It may be a problem with Fibaro Home Center Lite FW, so im waiting for 4.54 update.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Even when it is a momentary impulse switch, you should be able to see in the Fibaro platform that the switch turns to ON then OFF after 1 sec. At least this is how my other switches work when set to impulse mode...

40mA should be no problem according to the specification.

You are right, it may be a FW issue. My system also acts weird since that unfortunate 4.540 callback/revert back issue, so it's a good idea to wait for the new FW then continue investigation. Have a good day.

• Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, johndeere said:

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Even when it is a momentary impulse switch, you should be able to see in the Fibaro platform that the switch turns to ON then OFF after 1 sec. At least this is how my other switches work when set to impulse mode...

40mA should be no problem according to the specification.

You are right, it may be a FW issue. My system also acts weird since that unfortunate 4.540 callback/revert back issue, so it's a good idea to wait for the new FW then continue investigation. Have a good day.

Oh, yeah, i misunderstood your question. So yes, i see how it turns on and off in the app.

Edited by play3man

Another one with the same problem.

Disconnected OUT1 and it works. I've set it to auto shutoff after 0.5 s - triggering the switch does close the output for 0.5 s.

But when I connect it to the switch input of my Hörmann Promatic, the closing of OUT1 only lasts a fraction of a second (my multi-meter barely reacts to it). This is independent of what I set auto shutoff to.

I can measure approx. 24VDC over the motor's switch input (whether the circuit is open or not). Could that interfere with SI's function?

I'm about to give up and connect a Qubino relay instead.

(I'm using Home assistant, but to get the SI properly included, so that all enteties show up, I had to stop HA and use another instance of OZW+OZWCP. But I doubt the ZW controller has much to do with this problem - the SI seems to be the culprit.)

3 minutes ago, Fredrik72 said:

Another one with the same problem.

Disconnected OUT1 and it works. I've set it to auto shutoff after 0.5 s - triggering the switch does close the output for 0.5 s.

But when I connect it to the switch input of my Hörmann Promatic, the closing of OUT1 only lasts a fraction of a second (my multi-meter barely reacts to it). This is independent of what I set auto shutoff to.

I can measure approx. 24VDC over the motor's switch input (whether the circuit is open or not). Could that interfere with SI's function?

I'm about to give up and connect a Qubino relay instead.

(I'm using Home assistant, but to get the SI properly included, so that all enteties show up, I had to stop HA and use another instance of OZW+OZWCP. But I doubt the ZW controller has much to do with this problem - the SI seems to be the culprit.)

Tjena, Fredrik!

I am experiencing something similar to you. I simply cannot get the Smart Implant to work with my Hörmann garage door opener.

How is your wiring? I have not succeeded yet, but this guide was brought to my attention yesterday: https://manuals.fibaro.com/content/manuals/en/FGBS-222/FGBS-222-EN-T-v1.2.pdf. See section 4.9 - Connection with Gate Opener.

My connection looks like this. I cannot operate the door through Home Assistant. It does, however, react and operate when pushing the physical button ion the implant.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

From the looks of it, we have the same setup (I too followed the guide that came with the SI), except I can't get my garage door to open even if I push the button on the SI device.

The other physical switches I have in parallel with the SI work and will operate the door.

And just to make sure there's no inductive interference from the other switches' cables, I tried with them disconnected and only the SI connected. Same disappointing result.

I haven't measured how many amps goes through the circuit, but I can't imagine there would be more than a minute current.

Guest kallecux

Hallo!
    Ich fahre den SI problemlos auf zwei Hörmann-Toren.

Der Unterschied, den ich erkenne, ist, dass Sie die Stromversorgung für den SI aus der Garagensteuerung erhalten.

Ich benutze externe Netzteile ......

Gruß Karl Heinz

P.S. Maybe your current or the voltage is not stable...?

Edited by kallecux

Hi,

Nice to hear it works for someone... :-)

I don't have another DC source readily available in the garage at the moment, so I can't test.

But the DC output from the motor is at 24.5 V and I haven't measured any fluctuations while the SI is connected.

Also, the SI should only draw 50 mA according to the documentation, so it really shouldn't cause a voltage drop anyway.

I give up. I'm going to use a Quibino 1D relay instead and find some other use for the SI.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Fredrik72 said:

Hi,

Nice to hear it works for someone... :-)

I don't have another DC source readily available in the garage at the moment, so I can't test.

But the DC output from the motor is at 24.5 V and I haven't measured any fluctuations while the SI is connected.

Also, the SI should only draw 50 mA according to the documentation, so it really shouldn't cause a voltage drop anyway.

I give up. I'm going to use a Quibino 1D relay instead and find some other use for the SI.

Cheers

Can you please make a sketch of your wiring? I am using the 24V outlet on the motor, and the SI seems to work great. for some reason it will not trigger the switch which makes the motor start/stop.@kallecux how is your connections? same as in my picture, but with external power for the SI?

Guest kallecux

Yes - only connected to OUT1 - and Parameter 156 to 0.500s.

To check the quality of the DC power you need a scope. I think you can't test it with a multimeter.

Greetings!

18 hours ago, Fredrik72 said:

From the looks of it, we have the same setup (I too followed the guide that came with the SI), except I can't get my garage door to open even if I push the button on the SI device.

Mine works when connected to Out1 and pushing the button on the SI. 

Please notice I have only connected the power on the “in” side, but I have played with the the setup from Fibaro without any progress. 

On 9/3/2019 at 6:25 PM, kallecux said:

To check the quality of the DC power you need a scope. I think you can't test it with a multimeter.

Why would I need to check quality of the DC power outlet? The SI will accept 9-30 V, according to the Users manual

Guest kallecux

It could  be, that there are fast Spikes or Dropouts. This can provoke a misbehavior of the fibaro component. Maybe!

Greetings!

I did end up sending my SI back for a refund.

I now have a Qubino Flush 1D Relay connected the same way I had the SI, and it works exactly as expected.

The connection I have (had for the SI) is identical as @PaulEngh's picture above.

Either my SI was indeed broken, or the voltage supply from the motor was not stable enough, as @kallecux suggested. Who knows...

Sorry, this doesn't really help solving the problem with the SI.

Apologies on digging up an old thread but I just managed to resolved this issue when I had it.  It turns out the time the switch is open is critical.  The instructions say to change parameter 156 to 1 (0.1s).  That didn't work.  But changing it to 3 did!!!!  I also had it set to 100 and that worked intermittently.  Hope that helps someone.

Hello, these problems get never too old! :) 

I have exactly the same problem @PaulEnghwith a Hormann Promatic 3 garage door. I have probably tried everything mentioned above, and have similar wiring. I am using an external separate 19v power supply for the implant. I have tinkered with many settings, and different wiring possibilities, and always get the same results: unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't for whatever reasons. very very VERY irritating!

Has anyone manage to find the ultimate fix for this? Does it come from the controller, the implant or the garage door?

It just worked now with that parameter intermittently

But it should be working when I press once, not after pressing 10 times or not at all. Some days it works, some other days it doesn't at all. I have to wait two days to open my garage door, or go inside and get through the back door. please... help!

Thanks

On 7/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, alemes92 said:

Hello, these problems get never too old! :) 

I have exactly the same problem @PaulEnghwith a Hormann Promatic 3 garage door. I have probably tried everything mentioned above, and have similar wiring. I am using an external separate 19v power supply for the implant. I have tinkered with many settings, and different wiring possibilities, and always get the same results: unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't for whatever reasons. very very VERY irritating!

Has anyone manage to find the ultimate fix for this? Does it come from the controller, the implant or the garage door?

It just worked now with that parameter intermittently

But it should be working when I press once, not after pressing 10 times or not at all. Some days it works, some other days it doesn't at all. I have to wait two days to open my garage door, or go inside and get through the back door. please... help!

Thanks

UPDATE: Fibaro Implant latest firmware (5.2) is not fully supported by 5.070 version of HC3. But with new update of HC3 (5.080) it should be working apparently. Meanwhile, I had already ditched my implant and bought Qubino relay instead and it has worked perfectly since then. 

Edited by alemes92