Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Non-Fibaro devices still cannot be updated OTA

Thomasn

Despite being a z-wave standard, non-Fibaro devices can still not be updated through the Homecenter. So we still need to remove the device and use another z-wave controller to update a device and then re-include it in the Homecenter. Needless to say, the device then get a new id-number and all programming of scenes must be changed.

Imagine that you couldn't update your computer's graphic card because it was not made by Microsoft...... ridiculous. But, apparently, not to Fibaro.

Edited by Thomasn

@Thomasn are you trolling?

Fibaro specifically said: That will never happen.

otherwise, throw away your Homecenter and use other non-proprietary / opensource solution, yes some opensource solution can OTA update devices., but that's another story,

I would be happy if fibaro solve major issues and never give this ability...On the top, they do not provide any templates for 3rd party devices.....

@10der do you have in mind any opensource solution that can perform firmware update ? I'm curious :)

• Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, 10der said:

@Thomasn are you trolling?

Fibaro specifically said: That will never happen.

otherwise, throw away your Homecenter and use other non-proprietary / opensource solution, yes some opensource solution can OTA update devices., but that's another story,

Let me get this right! So because Fibaro (and you) don’t like the idea, which by the way is a z-wave standard, I should get rid of my system that Fibaro sells as the most comprehensive system on the market?

In my opinion, An upgrade of firmware should be manageable from an advanced system. Just like on Windows, Linux, or OSX. 

You may not like that feature which is fair but then just don’t use it and upgrade your devices another way - or not. 

Edited by Thomasn

5 hours ago, FSE said:

any opensource solution that can perform firmware update ?

PC Controller downloadable from

Please login or register to see this link.

. That one has OTA update. Then you need Z-Wave stick. For example

@Thomasn every compagny that makes zwave controllers/devices  will not support other devices, even aeon labs, if you want to update a aeon device you need a aeon stick. (afaik)

30 minutes ago, akatar said:

if you want to update a aeon device you need a aeon stick. (afaik)

not true.

my raZberry and Z-Way software can do it.  for example

• Topic Author
  • 31 minutes ago, akatar said:

@Thomasn every compagny that makes zwave controllers/devices  will not support other devices, even aeon labs, if you want to update a aeon device you need a aeon stick. (afaik)

And that is probably why Homeautomation is not so common. It is too nerdy. The industry have to get their act together. It is like the old video fight over standards all over again.

16 minutes ago, 10der said:

not true.

my raZberry and Z-Way software can do it.  for example

aah 

i see, this was not possible a couple of years ago

To respond to your graphic card example. Currently Microsoft does expand driver updates automaticaly. Result in many cases is that advanced graphic cards are upgraded with poor default drivers and system owner is not in control. I would advise Fibaro to stick to improve devellopment of Fibaro hardware and stay away from performing updates on third party hardware. This will only result in more instable solutons as Fibaro is not in control, and can not be held accountable for revision history of third party products. 

So I would prefer Fibaro to keep full focus on Fibaro product improvement.

I use danalock devices and are able to update these devices with a app on my Phone. Further I use sensative strips with stable factory default firmware, and forrest automated curtains. In majority firmware updates in non advanced devices is not needed. More advanced devices should have a independent update procedure, or otherwise I would think twice before putting my money in these solutions.

Guest cuprum
    10 hours ago, Langedijk said:

and stay away from performing updates on third party hardware.

Hmm, what You exactly mean? To be honest, it may be also my reading skills fault, but:

Nobody here is talking about "Fibaro's firmware for 3PP". The theme is an possibility to *upload* 3PP-produced firmware for 3PP-product to this specific product in Your home. Actually, as the firmware OTA-update procedure is standardized, then it's only one procedure for *any* provider/device.

Actually here was talk about that couple of years ago, because in marketing Fibaro promises OTA-upgrades, but in reality there was nothing - and result was at least some updates for some specific Fibaro devices. But this is not the story. The main story and statement from Fibaro was, that they do not have firmware's for(from) other party products. Actually this is a quite sad, but fact, that there is no producer-wide firmware  repository, from where to take new firmware's for others. Yeah, may-be on some good (or bad) day we can see also some tool inside HC, allowing to take a file from disk as input, and upgrade it into any device.

Edited by cuprum

I would rather if Sillicon labs as "owner" of Z-Wave had some firmware repository and all controllers (not just Fibaro HCs) would connect there to check if new firmware is available. Firmwares in Silabs servers could be separated by company ID, which is already visible in Fibaro controller. Some companies making Z-Wave products will not share their firmware as .ota, . hex or other format that is needed for OTA.

If Fibaro and other companies have their own system of distribution, it would be pricy mess as somebody would need to maintain it and check other companies for firmware.

The topic has been moved from "

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".

The nr 1 reason why Fibaro, with their current line of HomeCenters, will never be able to do OTA firmware updates on other brands of Z-Wave products is due to Fibaro HC are based on the 300-series chipset which is Z.-Wave only,  not Z-wave Plus.

Standardised OTA was first introduced with the 500-series and Z-Wave Plus. To my knowledge Fibaro implemented a proprietary OTA in their system, not according to Z-wave Plus specifications. That is why it`s not possible to update Fibaro devices on other platforms like Z-Way or

Z-Way Alliance CIT

But I might be mistaken

Thomas