Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Room full of smoke and no alarm! WTF!!

kevin

Question

Hi,

Today when I was at work my wife called, she was cooking some food and suddenly our son heart himself. She went down to help him, this took longer then expected. In the meanwhile the food was burning and the whole ground floor was full of smoke. And guess what, both Fibaro Smoke sensors v2 doesnt’t went off and play no sound?!:-[

What is the use of a smoke sensor when they don’t go off and inform you.

One sensor is just a few weeks old, the other smoke sensor 8 months. Both have good battery levels, 80 and 98%. Also on both smoke sensors parameter 1 is at value 1 - high senstive

So I just got home, the whole ground floor smells like burned food. 

I took the newest smoke sensor of the ceiling and started a fire outside with a lot of smoke. I held the Smoke sensor just a few centimeters above the big clouds of smoke and nothing happend!!

When I test the Smoke sensor by pressing the button it responds.:huh:

@T.Konopka what if my house was burning while my family is sleeping. We die because Fibaro products doesn’t work little they should do.:-[

Edited by kevin
  • Like 1

20 answers to this question

Oh man...

First off all I am glad there wasn't a real fire! but this is a mayor issue!

I should have some "smoke spray" at home and will test mine.

The most dangerous thing is a false sense of security!

Jim

• Inquirer
  • The Fibaro system is still showing that the smoke sensor is activated since I pushed the test button. Now all the scenes doesn’t work.

i already rebooted the smoke sensor and hc2

EDIT: this is solved now. But the main issue isn't

Edited by kevin

You can buy a test spray here: 

Please login or register to see this link.

(quick google).

Hope @T.Konopka will contact you and get to the bottom of the issue...

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • 4 minutes ago, jimicr said:

You can buy a test spray here: 

(quick google).

Hope @T.Konopka will contact you and get to the bottom of the issue...

I just did a Google search and just bought one. Now waiting to arrive to test the smoke sensor again.

Hi,

Many users have reported same issues, including me, as you are doing, and there are several post concerning the same issue.

Fibaro is playing with peoples life´s, and they should recall all versions of the smoke alarm immediately! They are VERY dangerous !!!

!!!!PLEASE ALL, DON´T TRUST YOUR LIFE IN THIS PRODUCT!!!! 

Either dismantle the Fibaro and install alarms that can be trusted, or put up extra alternative smoke alarms.

• Inquirer
  • @TurboWannaBe

I did found this post, this the exact thing I did to test it.

I ordered a smoke sensor testspray to test all my Fibaro Smoke sensors, if all of these don't respond I known enough. I already contacted Fibaro support about this but also send a mail to my legal counsel because this is unacceptable. If all the ever sold Fibaro Smoke Sensors have this issue Fibaro MUST do a recall and solve it.

I hope the CO sensor does work and not like this, but I'm unable to test that.

Before I started with home automation I was absolutely sure that Fibaro is a trusted company to use, and off course every company has his down sides but this..

I waited a few years before I moved to a bigger house and install it full with Fibaro devices. Now 3500~4000 euro's later (within 1 year) I have this dangerous product. 

I hope Fibaro respond well and solve it, and hope that @T.Konopka will also respond with an explanation and not a standard answer.

Edited by kevin

Hi everyone,

@kevin, I'm sorry you faced such terrible situation. I just replied to your email. Please follow my instructions.

@TurboWannaBe, did you report this on our support? Are we sure, that your device worked fine?

Please, report any situations directly to us, just to be sure, that our devices are working fine.

• Inquirer
  • @M.Baranowski I replied to your mail. (You responded quick, I'm not used to get that quick of a response from Fibaro support)

To all forum users, Fibaro asked me to send the Fibaro Smoke Sensor to them for investigation.

My incident happened about 2 years ago, and my smoke sensor was sent back to the retailer, with a turral explanation about the problem, as an RMA so Fibaro must have received the unit!

The room which the sensor was placed in was smoke filled due to a forgotten pan, and the alarm was dead silence. But before that I had experienced two incidentes with false alarms and there was NO smoke at all. 

And also I find it is quite confusing to test the fibaro smoke sensor, as you cannot just push a bottom for 1-2 seconds, as on all other alarms in the world for the last 30 years, but you have to hold the button until a short biip sounds and then you need to keep pushing the button for about 3 seconds until the alarm sounds - I seriously cannot understand why the fibaro did this! and didn´t follow the "standard".

Forgive me @kevin if I hijack your topic a bit, but I am struggling with 2 smoke sensors V2 too! Especially when they detect heat (not smoke). They react to overheating (easy to test, just put temp at low value. parameter 2 --> 2, parameter 30 --> Low T then real T), you get a nice message in HC2. However, when this happens my roller shutters V2 and Wall Plug don't respond to it at all! I configured (setting parameters on the advanced pages of the devices to open or turn Off when heat is detected) it correctly with the aid of support, did a soft reconfigure, but still no joy.

What is the use of overheating detection if you can't put it to use (ie open roller shutter, turn Off wall plug)?

From 2020 smoke sensors are obligatory in Belgium, I expect them to work correctly without too much fuss (like writing all kinds of scripts for opening a roller shutter when heat is detected) . I tried a magic scene, it did not run automatically although I told it so. I had to manually start the magic scene when testing the overheating and yes the wall plug responded, but I thought these scripts run automatically.

So, I don't know if the smoke sensors are failing or is it a bug in FW 4.540 in HC? I don't know how to test this.

And after 10 minutes of sounding the alarm I get a push message, that is way too long.

Edited by Rikbast

16 hours ago, kevin said:

When I test the Smoke sensor by pressing the button it responds.:huh:

What about the black box history?

Do you see high smoke level during this accident?

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

• Inquirer
  • 10 minutes ago, cag014 said:

What about the black box history?

Do you see high smoke level during this accident?

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

No history

On 4/12/2019 at 11:48 PM, TurboWannaBe said:

My incident happened about 2 years ago, and my smoke sensor was sent back to the retailer, with a turral explanation about the problem, as an RMA so Fibaro must have received the unit!

Am I right, that we didn't investigate your device? 

On 4/13/2019 at 9:08 AM, Rikbast said:

Forgive me @kevin if I hijack your topic a bit, but I am struggling with 2 smoke sensors V2 too! Especially when they detect heat (not smoke). They react to overheating (easy to test, just put temp at low value. parameter 2 --> 2, parameter 30 --> Low T then real T), you get a nice message in HC2. However, when this happens my roller shutters V2 and Wall Plug don't respond to it at all! I configured (setting parameters on the advanced pages of the devices to open or turn Off when heat is detected) it correctly with the aid of support, did a soft reconfigure, but still no joy.

What is the use of overheating detection if you can't put it to use (ie open roller shutter, turn Off wall plug)?

From 2020 smoke sensors are obligatory in Belgium, I expect them to work correctly without too much fuss (like writing all kinds of scripts for opening a roller shutter when heat is detected) . I tried a magic scene, it did not run automatically although I told it so. I had to manually start the magic scene when testing the overheating and yes the wall plug responded, but I thought these scripts run automatically.

So, I don't know if the smoke sensors are failing or is it a bug in FW 4.540 in HC? I don't know how to test this.

And after 10 minutes of sounding the alarm I get a push message, that is way too long.

I still think not all Alarm options (Emergency Light) and associations are enabled. Can you get in touch with Support, add our address ([email protected]) as your installer first?

10 hours ago, M.Baranowski said:

Am I right, that we didn't investigate your device? 

I still think not all Alarm options (Emergency Light) and associations are enabled. Can you get in touch with Support, add our address ([email protected]) as your installer first?

Hi, I already contacted support with this issue, I hope they will sort it out. Adding devices to associations (groups 2 and 4) in the smoke sensor only seem to work for smoke alarm, not temperature alarms, so

I doubt if it works at all? What is about the Alarm options? What should be configured there ?

• Inquirer
  • Quick update

I have purchased a testspray for smoke sensors and all my Fibaro smoke sensors reacted immediately. I then created a fire with a lot of smoke and all my Fibaro smoke sensors respond within a few seconds.

I’m testing then further and if they keep working I hope I can relay on them.

I think the smoke I had in my house because of a pan on the fire with burned food hadn’t go up to the ceiling but stayed at eye height. That could be the reason that it didn’t respond.

6 hours ago, kevin said:

I think the smoke I had in my house because of a pan on the fire with burned food hadn’t go up to the ceiling but stayed at eye height. That could be the reason that it didn’t respond.

Hi Kevin, that is your problem right there. Smoke has to pass thru the "smoke chamber" see here for more info:

Scroll down to "optische rookmelder".

Jim

• Inquirer
  • Hi @T.Konopka

I did test them further and they all keep responding. I’m now 4000km from home on holiday, so I hope if something happens (I hope not) right now they respond and send a message to my parents (fingers crossed)