Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Overcurrent detected with two 75W LED drivers

Scotsh

Question

Hello,

i have recently  installed (well, had installed) 40 or so Fibaro modules, including a dozen Dimmer 2. They are really great products and easy to use. Everything is going well except for two rooms.

Both rooms shall have two LED stripes (9 meters each), requiring about 40 watts (each). For this i purchased 4 TRIAC LED drivers (Self Electronics SLD75 - 24V). I have tested the principal setup with one LED driver and one stripe at one Dimmer 2 and it worked really well right from the start. Being a layman and a bit naive i assumed this would work with two LED drivers (in parallel of course) as well. Dimmer 2 -> 250W (or 200VA), each LED driver 75 watts, so 150 watts in total < 200 watts.

Unfortunatly i didnt consider the inrush current and as soon as the installation (already in the wall and ceiling) was finished i tried it out, got an "overcurrent detected" error and the Dimmer 2 deactivated at once. I tried to change some parameters (Soft start -> 0.5 sec and others) but the problem remains. Calibratrion is not possible, "overcurrent" right after calibration starts.

Now my question:

What options do i have? There are inrush current limiters like ->

Please login or register to see this link.

Would that help? Has anybody experience with this kind of problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note:

I know that there is a RGBW Module designed for LED stripes. I simply didnt deem it neccessay because i was never interested in colored LED stripes and thought it would be overkill (and more complicated) to use this. But as i mentioned the essential part of the installation (switch, Dimmer2, LED drivers) are already built inside the wall/ceiling and the RGBW module does need a considerable different wiring which can now not be changed without larger effort.

2 answers to this question

Have a look at @petergebruers answer about welding of switches and dimmers flicker and overcurrent. Search inrush should take you to them

I did find some limiters but they were a little expensive and the dimmer is not guaranteed to like them.

Edited by robmac

On 4/26/2019 at 4:13 AM, Scotsh said:

Hello,

i have recently  installed (well, had installed) 40 or so Fibaro modules, including a dozen Dimmer 2. They are really great products and easy to use. Everything is going well except for two rooms.

Both rooms shall have two LED stripes (9 meters each), requiring about 40 watts (each). For this i purchased 4 TRIAC LED drivers (Self Electronics SLD75 - 24V). I have tested the principal setup with one LED driver and one stripe at one Dimmer 2 and it worked really well right from the start. Being a layman and a bit naive i assumed this would work with two LED drivers (in parallel of course) as well. Dimmer 2 -> 250W (or 200VA), each LED driver 75 watts, so 150 watts in total < 200 watts.

Unfortunatly i didnt consider the inrush current and as soon as the installation (already in the wall and ceiling) was finished i tried it out, got an "overcurrent detected" error and the Dimmer 2 deactivated at once. I tried to change some parameters (Soft start -> 0.5 sec and others) but the problem remains. Calibratrion is not possible, "overcurrent" right after calibration starts.

Now my question:

What options do i have? There are inrush current limiters like ->

Would that help? Has anybody experience with this kind of problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note:

I know that there is a RGBW Module designed for LED stripes. I simply didnt deem it neccessay because i was never interested in colored LED stripes and thought it would be overkill (and more complicated) to use this. But as i mentioned the essential part of the installation (switch, Dimmer2, LED drivers) are already built inside the wall/ceiling and the RGBW module does need a considerable different wiring which can now not be changed without larger effort.

if you just want to switch on and off then use MCO Home Switches MH-S311H or S312H because it support 

nrush current up to 165A in 20ms special for LED bulb. 

they also Z Wave Plus and sexy