Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Switch 2 connected to a bathroom light and ceiling fan with a single wall switch

optilude

Question

I have a bathroom with the following wiring:

• A single wall switch outside with neutral (three wires connected together), live (three wires going into COM on the switch, of which only one carries live current when they are not touching) and two switched live wires (both in L1 on the switch). One switched live relates to the ceiling lights, the other to an extractor fan.
  • The fan has a separate isolator switch above the door. If it is off, the fan never turns on.
  • If the isolator switch is on, the fan goes on when I turn the lights on. It stays on for as long as the lights are on. If I switch the lights off, the fan stays on for a further five minutes, then turns off.

I want to install a Switch 2 behind the wall switch as follows:

• Live into L
  • Neutral into N
  • Q1 to go to the lights
  • Q2 to go to the fan
  • S1 connected to the wall switch
  • nothing connected to S2

I then want to use automation to decide when the fan goes on and off. To do that I plan to set the timeout on the fan itself to zero, and just use the fibaro to turn the fan on or off.

I have a few concerns:

• Does it matter that the will not be a physical switch connected to S2?
  • The manual says “Do not connect types of loads other than resistive and incandescent!”. Is the fan going to cause a problem?

On the last point, I’m not 100% sure, but my assumption is that the switch only controls a relay on the fan and not the actual load of the fan turning. (And there is a separate live wire at the fan not connected to the switch.) Otherwise, the fan would not stay on for five minutes after switching the lights off, surely?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Martin

3 answers to this question

Hi Martin,

My Fibaro Switch fan trigger setup is slightly different, but it is documented in full at the link below.

From my experience I can answer a few of your questions:

- On my Fibaro switch I have nothing connected to S1 or S2. Only the motion sensor switches status of the Fibaro switch.

- An example of an incandescent load is a standard light bulb. In my setup I am using the Fibaro switch to apply voltage to the fan trigger (grey wire) which is a relay and not the fan motor itself. I would imagine fans with larger motors could potentially draw excessive current.

- I just tapped into the junction box in the loft - connecting the live, neutral and reconnecting the fan trigger from the light switch wire to Q1. I had to connect in the loft as there is no neutral and fan trigger wires in the light switch.  

Please login or register to see this link.

I hope this helps.

Although wiring the light and fan switch together seems to be convenient for use, sometimes we just need to turn on one and both two turning on just add the electricity bill. And you may need  to know some matters need attention about

Please login or register to see this link.

so that you can do this.