Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Smart Switch 6 not working!

amatt

Question

I have a smart switch 6 made by AEOTEC. It took several attempts to add it correctly in HC2. Once it did it added the switch and a Volt and Amp meter. The Amp and Volts work just fine but switching the switch on and off does nothing. to turn it on and off I have to press the action button on the switch. even if I do that the status does not change on HC2. Can someone explain what is wrong? Fibaro bug? I know there has been some issues in the latest versions with parameters but I don't see why it would cause this issue. 

*Note when I added it on my first several attempts it would say not configured but. was able to turn the device on and off successfully (so I know it does work).

this did the same thing on 4.540 and 4.541 beta.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

I have about 6 of these, all working fine.

All it takes is to have them very close to HC2 when adding them to the network, otherwise it gets weird. It's very sensitive to proximity as the inclusion mode Tx power is reduced.

I just plug the switch into the same power strip used to power HC2 for the sake of adding and then relocate elsewhere. Also reset the device before adding (hold the button on the switch till your finger gets numb and the red led flashing ends).

Sometimes it can take couple of attempts, try plugging it in near HC2 and do reconfiguration.

• Inquirer
  • On 4/29/2019 at 10:13 PM, mika said:

I have about 6 of these, all working fine.

All it takes is to have them very close to HC2 when adding them to the network, otherwise it gets weird. It's very sensitive to proximity as the inclusion mode Tx power is reduced.

I just plug the switch into the same power strip used to power HC2 for the sake of adding and then relocate elsewhere. Also reset the device before adding (hold the button on the switch till your finger gets numb and the red led flashing ends).

Sometimes it can take couple of attempts, try plugging it in near HC2 and do reconfiguration.

Thanks Mika this worked after a couple of tries. i had to reset it back to factory settings first before working completely. 

now i have them (2) setup in the same room and a scene to have them come on when there is motion. the problem is that when motion is detected sometimes only 1 of them will turn on. sometimes both will come on but its more like 60%  both on and 40% only one comes on. *the room these are located in is not that far (10 feet) from the HC2, firmware is up to date.

I don't understand this statement: 
    the problem is that when motion is detected sometimes only 1 of them will turn on
    One of what will turn on?

Did you mean, "when motion is present in the room with 2 sensors, only one motion sensor detects/reports it to HC2?"

How far are the sensors from the source of motion and from each other?

BTW, there's a parameter that specifies a delay following motion detection, the sensor will be disabled during that period.
    I'd guess this was done to prevent flooding the network with motion reports.
    Could it be just that?

On 7/24/2019 at 12:26 PM, amatt said:

Thanks Mika this worked after a couple of tries. i had to reset it back to factory settings first before working completely. 

now i have them (2) setup in the same room and a scene to have them come on when there is motion. the problem is that when motion is detected sometimes only 1 of them will turn on. sometimes both will come on but its more like 60%  both on and 40% only one comes on. *the room these are located in is not that far (10 feet) from the HC2, firmware is up to date.

I have this problem - had 4 of these in a normal size living room, each operating 1 light. Had a scene that turned the lights on.  Essentially a random number of lights come on - eventually (over a few weeks) all the lights stop responding.  Factory reset and add back to HC2, repeat yada yada. 

Solved my problem by adding one of the previous generation Aeon switches - this seems to be able to connect with the Gen 6 switches okay.  But they can't connect to each other or even to the HC2 over modest distances (4-5 metres).  The distance you get appears to be essentially random for each device, but consistent for that particular device.  I have one that consistently is recognised at 30cm but fails beyond that.  One of the switches will not respond even if only centimetres from the HC2, though it will join the network successfully, it never turns off or on remotely.  

The result is that in real world usage they eventually they end up as dead nodes.

Piece of crap, in other words.  Which is a pity because they ARE pretty.

I agree completely with "codowd" above. I have had 6 of these for over 5 years, initially none of them would work right as far as failure to communicate so I just gave up on them completely. Of recent I have upgraded to HC3, thinking this might make a difference with these devices seeing we have no other option for appliance control here in AU, however same result. Simply cannot trust any of these for reliable operation of appliance control regardless of function and device being controlled. It seems the included Z-Wave chipset is a poor performer and mediocre at best of times. Yes adding to the gateway requires them to be almost right next to it, and this part works fine 80-90% of the time, however once you move the devices anything further than a couple of Mts, they're useless. Following the troubleshooting procedures given by AEOTEC, it's clearly evident that the device fails to communicate with both neighbours and gateway.

So I have as of today purchased an AEOTEC USB Controller and in combination with a Windows PC, managed to upgrade the FW on all of them. So far no changes in performance most fail to communicate still and nothing much you can do about it. Until FIBARO decides to make an AU version of their Smart Plug, we have nothing.

In closing DO NOT BUY, the device is of solid build and good quality but it's let down buy a mediocre Z-Wave chip, which makes it useless. 

Guest Andrew Riley

I'm having similar challenges with the Aeotec smart switch 6. Great device concept but not reliable.