Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Disable Device in Home Center.

HansAvlund

Question

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between

"Device is disabled" & "This device is hidden in the system"

I dont understand what the "Device is disabled" does, or when is this supposed to be used. 

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_06/image.png.046b8d4dd32694822aede6e531f3ce91.png" alt="image.png.046b8d4dd32694822aede6e531f3ce91.png" />

5 answers to this question

The way I see it, the difference is:
A hidden device still communicates with the system, but is not visible in the standard interface.

A disabled device no longer communicates with the system

Hidden devices are used, for example, when there are several sub-devices generated for one unit, and some of these are not for user interaction. This happens frequently with third party devices without templates. My thermostats, for instance (HeatIt Z-trm2) generate 1 master unit and 10 slave units, of which I hide either 5 or 6. They are still needed for the internal z-wave protocol and should not be disabled. The remaining visible units give me access to measured values (temp., voltage, power) and to settings (desired temp., mode, on/off), which is all I need to see. Likewise, I hide the sub-devices which I do not yet use, in multichannel devices like the RGBW dimmer. 

Disabled devices is like removing the device temporarily from the system, without deleting all its parameters, names and settings. I have never used this option. I guess in the RGBW case, if I only use two channels out of four, I could disable the remaining two rather than hiding them. But I am not confident that the master unit is comfortable with finding only two remaining slave devices, so I prefer the "hidden" option.

If anyone can add to this or correct me if where I am wrong, please do. 

I don't have the answer I'm afraid, these settings don't seem to make any difference whatsoever. But I can share my findings:

Checking the "Device is disabled" option makes no difference as far as I can see. The device still sends reports to the controller and its power/energy is still included in the energy panel.

Unchecking "Show energy consumption measurements" makes no difference. The device still reports power/energy and this is included in the energy panel.

In my case, I have a Qubino 3-phase power meter. It consists of  a number of sub devices, reporting aggregated power/energy as well as power/energy/voltage/current etc. per phase.

I'd like to include only the aggregated power/energy value in my energy panel while excluding the individual phases as I don't want to double count.

3 hours ago, perjar said:

Checking the "Device is disabled" option makes no difference as far as I can see. The device still sends reports to the controller and its power/energy is still included in the energy panel.

Have you tried removing the association to the HC2 for the devices you want disabled.

When you go into associations for the device, it will be the very top box that you have to uncheck.

I believe this will stop the device talking to the HC2, if that's what you want.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:51 PM, amilanov said:

Have you tried removing the association to the HC2 for the devices you want disabled.

When you go into associations for the device, it will be the very top box that you have to uncheck.

I believe this will stop the device talking to the HC2, if that's what you want.

I think this is not possible for the child devices so the whole module stops communicating with the HC2

5 hours ago, Twannie said:

I think this is not possible for the child devices so the whole module stops communicating with the HC2

I believe you are correct. The whole device would stop communicating to the HC2. At least that is what I have seen, however I haven't tested it thoroughly myself, so wouldn't want to say it in absolute terms.