Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Dimmer 2] Dim 2 identical sets of LEDs with 1 dimmer

appie

Question

Hi,

Currently, I have 1 Dimmer 2 controlling a set of 3 LEDs (powered by a LED driver), and this works very well. I have an identical set (same model & amount of hardware, length of the wiring from switch to driver/LEDs also pretty similar) that I need to dim too, but I have no space in my "wall box" to house a second Fibaro dimmer. The switch is actually a double switch, and for the moment I have the second set of LEDs disconnected.

What if I simply hook up the second set in parallel to the first set? They are identical and the total would not exceed the max of the Fibaro module in any way. Besides the obvious fact that I cannot dim the two sets separately (which I am fine  with), are there any other side-effects/downsides to this, or is this simply a definite "NO GO"? If so, please let me know why. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

On 6/21/2019 at 7:16 PM, appie said:

Hi,

Currently, I have 1 Dimmer 2 controlling a set of 3 LEDs (powered by a LED driver), and this works very well. I have an identical set (same model & amount of hardware, length of the wiring from switch to driver/LEDs also pretty similar) that I need to dim too, but I have no space in my "wall box" to house a second Fibaro dimmer. The switch is actually a double switch, and for the moment I have the second set of LEDs disconnected.

What if I simply hook up the second set in parallel to the first set? They are identical and the total would not exceed the max of the Fibaro module in any way. Besides the obvious fact that I cannot dim the two sets separately (which I am fine  with), are there any other side-effects/downsides to this, or is this simply a definite "NO GO"? If so, please let me know why. Thanks!

I had the same "dilemma"  

The only way was to run a line ( active and negative) to the second set of lights from the first set. 

One switch/dimmer controller for both sets of light ie all on. all off, all dimmed....

But can have several switches - I used momentary  switches in parallel (4 in total) and connected all to S1

Just may sure the total wattage of both sets of lights does not exceed the max allowed on the dimmer...being LED I suspect not.

Obviously, if you want to control both sets of lights separately, you need separate  dimmers. 

Good luck

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for your reply Roobrother! 

(Quite frankly I was not expecting a reply after so many weeks had gone by, and to be honest I was kind of disappointed none of the "staff" had responded. Maybe I expected too much...)

Can I ask why you needed to run a line to the 2nd light from the 1st? In my case, both the Live and "Switch wire" for both sets of lights are available in the switch box housing in the wall. I was hoping I would simply be able to take the Load wire from the dimmer and Y-junction it to both sets of lights.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:57 AM, appie said:

(Quite frankly I was not expecting a reply after so many weeks had gone by, and to be honest I was kind of disappointed none of the "staff" had responded. Maybe I expected too much...)

I am also disappointed in the apparent lack of official support in this "support forum". Going back 1 or 2 years in the forums does indicate that there had been Fibaro officials giving answers to questions, now there are users like me reporting that Fibaro modules melt and pose a potiential hazard and there is nothing...

We just recently added almost 50 fibaro actors to our house, the lack of support makes me start to regret that decision and future additions to the smart home will be most likely non Fibaro products.

Hello @Scotsh ,

On 7/13/2019 at 9:52 PM, Scotsh said:

I am also disappointed in the apparent lack of official support in this "support forum".

Please, remember that this forum is supposed to serve as a platform connecting all FIBARO users where you can share ideas and solutions, and help each other. Staff’s role is to maintain order and provide guidance. If your problem can’t wait, it’s best to contact the official Support (fibaro.com/pl/support or fibaro.com/en/support) right away.

We do our best but it is not possible to answer every post. 

Regards, 

FIBARO Team