Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Only In1/Ou1 on Smart Implant

mirekmal

Question

Hello there! Recently purchased 3 pcs of Smart Impants to use them in my home automation (based on home assistant -- hassio). I added all devices succesfully to z-wave network, but strangely these seems to be appear differently. One device behavies as expected, exposing to hassio 17 entities (in hassio entity is 'property' of device, like switch, analog sensor, binary sensor, temperature sensor etc). Most important I can see 2 pairs of binary inputs and outputs (IN1, OUT1, IN2, OUT2) that I need. On the other 2 devices I can only see less than half of this setup - only 7 entities. No IN2, Out2 no entities for analog inputs. I tried to remove/add again, reset devices to factory settings, heal the network or nodes, clear config cache etc, but no change. As I recall for these 2 devices it was like that from the beginning (well, these were my first implants, and I was just playing with setting configuration parameters, so I was afraid that Iscreewed something there). Any idea? Are devices faulty? Anybody faced similar issue? Any recovery method? Otherwise it would not be a good quality/reliability sign to have 66% of devices out of order...

5 answers to this question

I am going to make an educated guess... Different firmware. I think they are available on 5.0 and 5.1. You'll need a HC2 or HCL to update or ask your (re)seller.

• Inquirer
  • Unfortunatelly I have no one of these and most likely will not buy... I have very heterogenous environment, so having one just for FW upgrade on few components does not make sense :-(  

BUT in meantime I resoved this... partially... In hassio there are 2 ways of configuring Z-wave devices; either using build in Z-wave configurator (somehow simplified) or to use Open Z-Wave Control Panel (OZWCP) add-on, which is much more advanced. I removed all devices from my network and added them again using this second method. And now I can see all 17 entities on on all Smart Implant nodes :-)

Nothing is rosy though... Now strange thing is that I can control all outputs from hassio, but whatever configuration parameters I set I can't read status of inputs. No changes whatsoever. At least it mighgt mean that there is somethign wrong with Z-wave integration in hassio rather than with implants itself.

1 hour ago, mirekmal said:

Unfortunatelly I have no one of these and most likely will not buy... I have very heterogenous environment, so having one just for FW upgrade on few components does not make sense :-(  

I understand, please do not shoot the messenger, my information is based on an official reply by Fibaro... FW Upgrade is not supported on other gateways, they do not offer the FW upgrades as binary packages. Which does not really matter in the case of OpenZWave because it does not do OTA anyway but the Silabs PC Software can do it. But not without firmware files.

In hassio there are 2 ways of configuring Z-wave devices; either using build in Z-wave configurator (somehow simplified) or to use Open Z-Wave Control Panel (OZWCP) add-on, which is much more advanced. I removed all devices from my network and added them again using this second method. And now I can see all 17 entities on on all Smart Implant nodes :-)

It shouldn't actually make that much of a difference, both hassio and ozwcp are based on the same OpenZWave library. There is probably no easy way to find out why that happened, I am intrigued, but not too much :). I should have introduced my self... I am a contributor to the OpenZWave project so I do know the library and ozwcp (not every detail of it, I only started a few months ago). In fact, I've pushed and update to ozwcp today and I have to tell you hassio at the moment is using an older implementation of both the library and the control panel. You might have seen discussion about bringing OZW 1.6 to HASS, atm it is 1.4. This requires a software rewrite of at least the pyozw library (one volunteer is working on that) and progress is slow... The Z-Wave integration of HASS itself has no maintainers right now. I run a small Z-Wave network (10 nodes) on HASS, my main system is 90 nodes on HC2.

Now strange thing is that I can control all outputs from hassio, but whatever configuration parameters I set I can't read status of inputs. No changes whatsoever. At least it mighgt mean that there is somethign wrong with Z-wave integration in hassio rather than with implants itself.

If you want to contribute, or simply want to find out more, you can try latest OpenZWave and ozwcp - I mean "build that from source". But the results would be rather academic, because  you cannot use that OZW 1.6 version with Home Assistant. And it uses different config files. Also, if it does only work partially on version 1.4 then that is probably not going to be fixed... Anayway: 

Please login or register to see this link.

- but don't mix that or your config files with a production system. Which isn't likely to happen with hassio because everything is embedded in the docker containers... But still, be careful what you do...

On a side note, Domoticz users (at least those running the Beta version which is using OZW 1.6) have reported issues as well, but that might me a mix of "Work in progress" on Domoticz and a second issue, which has been reported before, when the device was added in secure mode. I don't know what is going on, I don't own such a device and I cannot test...

• Inquirer
  • On 6/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, petergebruers said:

It shouldn't actually make that much of a difference, both hassio and ozwcp are based on the same OpenZWave library.

Well, I do not know how it works, but perhaps there is some difference in how these shared libraries are used. E.g. how nodes or entities on nodes or parameters are enumerated and presented to hassio. Bottom line there is difference in behavior. 

On 6/30/2019 at 6:54 PM, petergebruers said:

You might have seen discussion about bringing OZW 1.6 to HASS, atm it is 1.4.

Yeah, I believe I read about this somewhere... I believe it has something to do with python libraries... that I believe are already upgraded in hassio... so perhaps also OZW could be upgraded to 1.6, as you suggest in some close release :-)

For now I made some more tests, but I'm still stuck. In 0.95.4 release notes thread on has.io I've read that there were   some changes made to Z-wave implementation, related to devices with several instances of some entities in single unit. It sounds to me a bit like something that potentially could break the Z-wave for specific components (like Smart Implant, having 2 instances of most of sensors...

12 hours ago, mirekmal said:

so perhaps also OZW could be upgraded to 1.6,

No, not right now, the situation is much more complex than you think. OZW 1.6 has many improvements. I can tell you all about it if you want that but I do not think it is relevant right now. But it is also not 100% backwards compatible. The second thing is HASS runs of a fork of both OpenZWave and the python wrapper.

If you can program in Python, we (the OZW maintainer Justin Hammond, the pyozw contributor kdschlosser and I) are looking for people to code and test...

Watch this PR...

When that is done, work can begin on adapting HASS to the new version.

12 hours ago, mirekmal said:

In 0.95.4 release notes thread on has.io I've read that there were   some changes made to Z-wave implementation, related to devices with several instances of some entities in single unit.

Don't quote me on this bit it might be about renaming and deleting "entities" in bulk, that's a feature that was discussed on the Discord channel.

But sure enough the porblems you had and still have can be in any of the components: "hass z-wave ingtegration" (unmaintained) <-> "pyozw (forked, unmaintained)" <-> "OZW 1.4 (forked, unmaintained and probably frozen in time forever)"

Also other projects are still working on 1.6 compatibility!

Of those projects, Domoticz beta (aka Develepoment branch if you build from source) is the one really running latest OpenZWave - but also there at least one user has reported issues with the Smart Implant - not seeing all available sensors or actuators of the device. If I were you I would watch this issue to see if there is some progress