Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

RGBW update

knuth

Question

I have three RGBW controllers. Two of them have been successfully updated to firmware version 27.27. The third refuses to do so. Download of the new version 27.27 is OK, but about half way through the installation it fails: Status: fail - update interrupted - device connection lost. try again.. This happens consistently, in spite of the fact that this controller is installed less than a meter away from the HC2. It may or may not be relevant, but I noticed today that during the update, the following message kept coming up:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_08/image.png.2ba79b8c8c4fe41f234bbab1e48ad6d3.png" />

The last two lines were repeated every 4-5 seconds for several minutes: "set parameter 43, value = 0", and then "Received parameter 43 report, value = 5". My actual value for parameter 43 is the default value of 0.5 V. Why is this parameter changed during the firmware update? 

My current fw version on this controller is 25.25

11 answers to this question

If the device is near the controller, try doing a soft reconfiguration and try updating again.

• Inquirer
  • Yes, that is a good idea. So good, in fact, that I already tried it! :-) But alas, the result is still the same... 

I will keep repeating the exercise, both soft reconfiguration and attempts to update the firmware. My experience with these systems is that doing the same thing several times may finally produce the intended result. 

Hello,

If the RGB device is near to the controller, try a mesh recofiguration first, only on the RGB device. Then the controller knows the RGB device is in direct communiction range with the controller.

Then soft config. Then update.

Good Luck

Edited by Flash

• Inquirer
  • I tried your combined suggestions, @Stiven and @Flash  (remesh, soft reconfigure, and then update) but with the same result. After a few minutes, and precisely half way through the installation, the  error message appears:  "Status: fail - update interrupted - device connection lost. try again." Since this always happens at the exact same point as indicated by the progress bar, it does not seem to be a random communication error, but rather something in the installation file which causes the failure. Strange, as I succeeded with my two other units.

A hard reconfigure (or, equivalently, removing and re-adding the device) changes device id, name, room assignment, associations, and all parameter settings. That seems to be excessive, just to update the firmware. Any other ideas? 

Hello,

Had something simular with the Fibaro The Heat Controller FGT-001.

Have 5 of them, 4, I could update with no problem,  the 5th I could not update, halfway it stopped and complained about something during the updating proces.

Steps I followed.

Exluded the device from the controller.

Reboot the controller.

Removed it from the heater.

Factory reset of the heat controller.

Brought it the vincinty of the controller.

Included the device in the controller.

Reboot the controller.

Firmware update started ( finished without any hich-ups)

Mounted it back on the heater.

Did a heat setting to be sure it was still in communication range with the cotroller.

I know this is not a normal way to update, but it worked.

Think that something got corrupted in the firmware of the heat controller. The Factory reset fixed this problem I think.

Had the same issue with a roller shutter. did also factory reset of the device after exclusion. The roller shutter was in the vincinity of the controller so it could be left in his place.

but the Factory reset worked .

Good luck.

Edited by Flash

Hi Knuth

had the same problem since spring 19. Today I was finally able to update it: after a few of the usual tries that ended up with the device-connection-lost message, I changed one parameter.

I set "Associations Settings" (parameter 6) to "Normal (RGBW) - synchronized with other Fibaro RGBW controllers". I don't have any other of those, but anyway the update went through.

Cheers and good luck!

• Inquirer
  • How on earth did you think of changing this parameter? It seems completely irrelevant for a FW update. But if it works, who cares? So I tried it, but so far unsuccessfully - the update stops half way as before.:-( Error message: Status: fail - update interrupted - device connection lost. try again.

I will keep trying, maybe changing other parts of the configuration before each attempt. One of my other RGBW controllers only came through after several attempts, so it is worth redoing it and hoping that this update will also be completed eventually. So far, I am stuck with version 25.27 for this unit.

Guest tarentula

Did you find out a way to solve this? I have the same issue with 5 RGBW devices, same behavior and same error message.  

• Inquirer
  • Sadly, no :-(!

I hoped that the new HC2 version 4.560 could improve the situation, but there was no change. I have also tried to change a few parameters, as suggested above, but nothing seems to get around the "connection lost" error. 

My next attempt, I think, will be to redefine my RGBW controller as an input unit on all 4 channels. It is now defined as a dimmer (output) on all four, of which three are in use. I do not have high hopes for a positive result. On the other hand, my device works as intended - and I have no clear picture of how the new FW version is different from my current one. 

Keep trying! My second RGBW controller only updated on the eighth attempt, with nothing changed in between. 

Hi!

I had same or nearly the same problems to update the RGBW controller... Nothing help what you guys wrote etc... so I have done the HARD RESET of device and it helps I was able to UPDATE.

Solution is to do the thing right way as written here:

A - Preperstion

1. HC2 in newest version (shall works on 4.530+)

2. HC2 next to RGBW - 1-2m...

B - Removing device

1. Add/remove device option - remove with 30 sec, with 3 times click on RGBW kontroller

2. Device must be removed from the system 

3. Take out +12V cable from RGBW kontroller

4. Restart/rebot HC2 from Konfiguration/settings menu

C - RESET the device as written here:

Resetting the RGBW Controller:

1. Disconect the power supply from the device
    2. Press and hold the B-button
    3. Connect the power supply to the device while still holding the B-button
    4. Release the B-button
    5. B-channel (blue) will switch on
    6. Disconect the power supply from the device

source: 

Please login or register to see this link.

D - Adding a device

1. Plug in +12V to RGBW controller

2. chose menu Add/Remove Device - Add Device (first and third checkbox selected)

3. Device shall be added as a new one

4. chose that it is RGBW controller

5. Search for update

6. Update device

E - configuring device

1. set a name and room to device

2. change parametr 49 do not send association - 1 option ;) 

Refresh page device shall work correctly ;)

On 10/8/2019 at 10:44 AM, knuth said:

Sadly, no :-(!

I hoped that the new HC2 version 4.560 could improve the situation, but there was no change. I have also tried to change a few parameters, as suggested above, but nothing seems to get around the "connection lost" error. 

My next attempt, I think, will be to redefine my RGBW controller as an input unit on all 4 channels. It is now defined as a dimmer (output) on all four, of which three are in use. I do not have high hopes for a positive result. On the other hand, my device works as intended - and I have no clear picture of how the new FW version is different from my current one. 

Keep trying! My second RGBW controller only updated on the eighth attempt, with nothing changed in between. 

Check my answer in topic maybe it help ;)

On 10/8/2019 at 8:31 AM, tarentula said:

Did you find out a way to solve this? I have the same issue with 5 RGBW devices, same behavior and same error message.  

Check my answer in topic maybe it help ;)

• Inquirer
  • Yes, @Karol , doing a complete hard reinstall may do the trick. As I have indicated earlier, I hesitate to do this for the following reason:

- After a reinstall, I need to reconfigure all LED strips connected to the controller, including associations from other switches which physically control theses devices

- The reinstall changes the device numbers, making it necessary to update all scripts/scenes which control these lights

- I don't see an obvious advantage in having the latest FW version

So, for now, I leave it as it is. But thank you for a clear and detailed how-to post.