Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

4.5 FW usable?

samuelAN

Question

Hello,

Last year, all my 5 FGT-001 have been placed in a drawer because of buggy firmware (4.2 if I remember well...)

Since the cold season approaches, I would like to know whether it is useful or not to update them with the latest available firmware (4.5?).

I don't have the Fibaro HCL (I use Domoticz), so I need to find someone that can update them for me, but I would like to know if it's worth it... I will not find someone to update them 5 times per year, so I would like to be sure that the new firmware is stable enough.

Thank you for your feedbacks!

9 answers to this question

Hello,

i agree with jakub.jezek.

Have also 5 FGT-001  up and running with firmware 4.5. One of them gave me some trouble's during the update, a factory reset was necessary. But after this no issue's at all.

Given the amount of trouble he has to go through to update his valves... I would wait as long as possible. While 4.5 makes them usable [I have 4 FGTs + sensor], and does not cause too many issues based on the feedback of about 10 active users in a  private topic, there is still room for improvement. Who knows when (and if...) Fibaro releases 4.6? I am assuming @samuelAN has an alternative since he survived previous heating season without FGTs... I think there are still reports of calibration issues... If he owned a HCL or HC2 upgrading to 4.5 would be highly recommended. But he doesn't...

• Inquirer
  • Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

@petergebruers yes I have found a solution... use mechanical and manual valves :D, I have just delayed my project of "smart heating".

I think I will give a try to updated them. If I have any issue, I will switch on the Eurotronic zwave valves and try to sell my fibaro valves.

20 minutes ago, samuelAN said:

use mechanical and manual valves :D, I have just delayed my project of "smart heating".

Hehehe, that is my backup plan as well :)

21 minutes ago, samuelAN said:

I think I will give a try to updated them.

If you come from fw 4.0 or 4.3 that is definitely going to improve things, certainly worth trying.

22 minutes ago, samuelAN said:

If I have any issue, I will switch on the Eurotronic zwave valves and try to sell my fibaro valves.

That certainly is an option, I cannot tell much about the Eurotronic. I like the external sensor of the FGTs, that is one thing... Please be advised, not all issues people report with FGT is a bug, water based heating systems have their limitations (eg inertia) and no TRV can really work around all those limitations.

• Inquirer
  • One additional question : I remember that with the old firmware I have, in case of battery empty, the valve is set in fully open mode. On my point of view, it was a big disadvantage (I had a very bad experience with an empty valve located in a baby room...)

What is the status with the 4.5 FW?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, samuelAN said:

in case of battery empty, the valve is set in fully open mode

FW 4.5 behaves in the same way.

16 minutes ago, samuelAN said:

On my point of view, it was a big disadvantage (I had a very bad experience with an empty valve located in a baby room...)

I've had a private discussion with a few users and an engineer from Fibaro. In your case, overheating the room is clearly a bad thing! But in very cold climate, closing the valve could be a bad thing (causing freezing in the room). So I suggested to make this configurable... Which has been picked up as a request but you know Fibaro never discusses plans, so...

• Inquirer
  • Thank you @petergebruers.

I will update my heat controllers. I have seen that a lot of people had problems when updating (update not possible, bad calibration after update,...)

Could someone give me the exact procedure that I should follow in order to update them correclty?

I will probably update them in a shop so I have to know exactly what I have to do in order to make it correclty...

Thanks again

When the device is added to the controller you go to the root device (top slave) and press check for update.

Place your device nearby the controller (I.e. 1 meter max) and start the update. 

But if you will do it in a shop they will probably know this too.