Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

GPS not working (Android)

tsh854

Question

Using Android Fibaro app v.126 - Samsung S9+ android 9, HC2 v4.550

User location/GPS has never worked since I got my HC2 around 9 months ago.  A few times support have told me that it's a "known issue", most recently they are no longer say this, but neither can they find a solution - perhaps you can?

I have enabled location permission for the app, set location accuracy to 15m (I have tried other values).

On the HC2 I have set the system location, and in access control set  GPS frequency to 1 min (I've also tried 5mins, 10 mins).

Despite having everything set correctly (I think!), it still has never updated GPS location.  This is the detail for superuser account which shows last location time in 2012 and Fibaro office in Poland (I'm in the UK):

Please login or register to see this code.

{ "id": 2, "name": "tom@xxxxxx, "type": "superuser", "email": "tom@xxxxxx", "hasGPS": false, "deviceRights": [], "sceneRights": [], "heatingZoneRights": [], "hotelRoom": 0, "sendNotifications": true, "tracking": 1, "atHome": false, "useOptionalArmPin": false, "initialWizard": false }

I have also tested with a new (non-superuser) account, but still no joy.

I notice that the app always has "Welcome Home" even when a long distance from home!

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_08/image.png.24dc411e2590a9eac664d632109249d3.png" />

Any ideas how to get GPS / geolocation working?

Thanks!

Edited by tsh854

19 answers to this question

I'm also in the UK with a HC2 running the same software and firmware versions as tsh854, only difference being I have a Samsung S10+.

I've had my system for almost a year and GPS location has never ever worked for me despite trying all suggestions. All users show hasGPS = false and the family section on the main page of HC2 not present.

GPS always works for me and I'm talking about ~5 years !!!!  but....

The only different to all other users I'm using public fixed IP address and I can reach my HC2 directly without using Fibaro's ID and theirs remote connection.

By saying public fixed IP,  I mean I do have fixed IP from my internet provider.

It's interesting to check if this is the case for you guys as well.

Just for testing,

1. Identify your public IP address (you can search in Google (type "my IP"))
  2. Set HC2 as DMZ on your router.
  3. On your mobile app. delete remote access and use local access (by typing public IP)

Hope it helps

Edited by cag014

• Inquirer
  • Thanks. I do have a fixed public IP so will try this. 

In your step 3, how do you delete remote access and enter the IP? I can't see any option for this.

• Inquirer
  • 31 minutes ago, tsh854 said:

In your step 3, how do you delete remote access and enter the IP? I can't see any option for this.

Found it. 

Let's see if this gets it working!

I've also set this up but dmz seems a little insecure. Surely port forwarding for port 80 will do the job?

For anyone that doesn't have a fixed IP, a dynamic DNS service should work.

3 hours ago, tsh854 said:

Thanks. I do have a fixed public IP so will try this. 

Go to setting,/choose HC

Now you have two options (Disconnect/Edit), press Edit and enter IP

In worse case scenario, delete and install the application from scratch..

2 hours ago, SimpsonDA said:

I've also set this up but dmz seems a little insecure. Surely port forwarding for port 80 will do the job?

But port 80in use almost on every device that connects to LAN, so all devices will receive the connection, big mess. Using DMZ you define IP and port...

For anyone that doesn't have a fixed IP, a dynamic DNS service should work.

DNS service  cost a little bit more than fixed IP and honestly I don't now what kind of security this third party provides.

Today most of the new routers have a nice firewall.

Another idea, but a little bit annoying, is to check your public IP by HC2 himself and if changed  then send email with new IP .

Enter new IP on mobile application and you're set.  If your public IP doesn't change frequently ( once per few months) this solution is not so  bad.

BUT, first of all let see if it works for you..................

Edited by cag014

I have configured my firewall to accept a port number other than 80 then forward that to port 80 for the IP address of the HC2. In the app, add :xxxx (x denotes the chosen port number) to the end of the IP address. This allows me to access the HC2 via the app without any issues.

See my attached screen shot showing port forwarding on my BT router. You can see that I am able to specify external and internal ports as well as the IP address of the HC2.

I'm yet to see if this has made any difference to the GPS side of things.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Yes, I know this trick, but can you set port number other than 80 on Fibaro's mobile application?

I didn't find it.... but might be during latest updates it has been changed..... didn't track it lately

Yes it is possible to set the port number in the app, just add a colon to the end of the IP address followed by the port number. For example, 192.168.1.200:1234

So far, this has not rectified the GPS issues for me.

So you have direct connection to HC2 ? w/o fibaro ID?

I believe you've defined all GPS parameters ...

Just to make sure that your mobile application does collect GPS location, please turn on location notification on your mobile application and set to some unusual sound. By doing so, you should hear notification every time that mobile app. collects your location.

• Inquirer
  • @cag014 thanks for your helps so far - I've tried all the suggestions but still not working.

Looking at location settings in Android settings it appears the app never requests location (despite having the correct permissions).

I don't know what triggers the app to request location but it seems that isn't working.

I have direct connection, without Fibaro ID/remote access configured in the app.  When opening the app it reports "local access to HC2-....".

@cag014 I too have the same results as @tsh854.

My app has a local connection and no longer uses the Fibaro ID. I also don't see any location requests for Fibaro in Android settings despite having location services enables and appropriate permissions set.

I assume that the HC2 sends requests for location to the Android device at the specified intervals set in the user settings?

Your assumption is incorrect, HC2 doesn't  send any location request...

1. HC2 doesn't know your phone IP address on cellular network. (and by the way it changes very frequently)

2. Entire configuration of HC2 including GPS intervals definition is requested by mobile app. using API.

3. As I mentioned above, using sound notification for location data, I tested and I can hear the notification when HC2 is powered OFF.

Edited by cag014

• Inquirer
  • Why would the mobile app not request location data? 

The app has never requested location data, the notification sound never happens and I can see in Android location settings that it has never requested GPS location

11 hours ago, cag014 said:

Your assumption is incorrect, HC2 doesn't  send any location request...

1. HC2 doesn't know your phone IP address on cellular network. (and by the way it changes very frequently)

2. Entire configuration of HC2 including GPS intervals definition is requested by mobile app. using API.

3. As I mentioned above, using sound notification for location data, I tested and I can hear the notification when HC2 is powered OFF.

Are you sure that the HC2 doesn't drive location requests?

1. HC2 doesn't need to know the phone IP address. The phone app establishes a connection which is two way.

2. HC2 has a parameter for how frequently GPS data is collected under each user account. Surely if the app drives this then that setting would be in the app.

3. So far as @tsh854 has mentioned, there are no location requests logged by android for the Fibaro app.

I'm just trying to establish the route cause of this problem. The last answer I got from Fibaro support was use IFTTT which is not addressing the problem.

Hi @tsh854

So I emailed tech support again yesterday explaining the problem and they replied with the following link:

Please login or register to see this link.

I had followed these steps many times before and already had the appropriate settings and a scene setup so this didn't really help me but may help you.

I then went through the following steps and today I have my GPS working.

First of all, go into Configuration\Access Control and click the pencil for each of your user accounts and ensure you have a value for the following:

"How frequently GPS position of the user should be collected?" Apparently the default is no. I already had my frequency set and from what I understand, you do also.

The next step is to uninstall the Fibaro app from your phone, one removed reinstall it. I still signed in with Fibaro ID and left the app open in the background for the day. Once I got home from work, the Family section in HC2 had appeared with my user name.

I went through the same removal and re-installation process with my partners phone this evening and her GPS is now working as well.

Hope this helps and works for you as well.

• Inquirer
  • It suddenly starting working for me this morning - I haven't changed anything for 2 days, so I guess maybe Fibaro finally fixed it?

Pleased it's now working for you as well although it does seem suspicious that it now works for us both within less than a day of each other. With that said, I don't think there have been any firmware or app updates in the last 24 hours so more than likely just coincidence.

Now I just have to pull my finger out and start writing some lua based on locations for what I want to do with it.   

Now I just have to pull my finger out and start writing some lua based on locations for what I want to do with it.   

First of  all, congrats to you all...

I have posted a while ago, Lua scene for GPS tracking, it could be a start point for you (just an idea you don't have to use it)