Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dallas DS18B20 external Temp Sensor doesn't work

HKrook

Question

Dear All,

I have bought a Fibaro Smart Implant with the idea to attach 1 or 2 DS18B20 temp sensors in order to measure the outside temp and use them for a scene with my screens.

I have included the smart implant and I see 4 four icon's; 1 generiek smart implant, 2 switches and one temp icon which shows 31.70 degrees.

I connect a DS18B20 external temp sensor to the brown wire 3.3v, blue wire to the gnd and the white to de date line.

Of course power (12V) to the red and blue wire of the implant.

Powerup the device but nothing happens with the temp. No change at all!!!! Temp stays at 31.10 degrees!

I have placed the sensor in a cup with cold water but still nothing is happening.

I see a lot of unassigned item when I go in the generic setup under slave but also the 2 switches and temp assignment. 

Big question; What am I doing wrong???? 

Where do I make a mistake?

How do I get this to work.

Can somebody help!?

Where did you bought the Dallas sensor? Do you have a link? 

Have you connecties the Dallas sensor before including? Because this will decide how the endpoints will be configured in the system

Edited by pnutp0wer

• Inquirer
  • @pnutpOwner;  I have bought those Dallas sensors via Aliexpress by WAGGAT store. Excellent store!

Please login or register to see this link.

Those are the TO-92 version but they deliver also the complete ones which can be submerged in water directly. I have them both!

No I have not done this before including. In the manual there is no mention of it neither whether you should use a pull up resistor.

I have found by playing around with it that you can set very different parameters in the setup menu such which type of sensor, with or with out pull up but no real explanation what to do and what the precise setup is!?

Any ideas?

Exclude the device, install the sensors in the correct way and then include again.

This is how it works with every Z-Wave device and their accessoires.

Endpoints will be defined when the device is included.  

• Inquirer
  • @pnutpOwner; Thanks for your feedback and I will give it a go and I will let you know if it works.

Anyway I find the "user manual" very limited with information!

• Inquirer
  • @rvelthoen; Ik heb net voor de derde keer alles ge-exclude en daarna weer include gedaan nadat ik 2 ds18b20 (de bekabelde versie) temp sensoren eerst heb aangesloten.

Alles included en ik zie nu 2 temp meters waarvan de waarde gewoon op 10.51 blijft staan.

Wat ik doe …. onderdompelen in water of warm maken er gebeurt niets. 

Moet ik nog parameters aanpassen?

Jouw hulp wordt zeer gewaardeerd.

• Inquirer
  • @rvelthoen; excuses voor de verlate reactie.

Ik dacht van niet maar ik ga het nogmaals checken en laat het jou weten.

Ik zal alles vanaf het begin opbouwen inclusief het opnieuw includen.

• Inquirer
  • @rvelthoen; Ik heb gisterenavond de schakeling bekeken sensor aansluitingen bekeken maar ik blijf hetzelfde problem houden. 2 sensoren geven 0 graden en derde (volgens mij de interne) geeft 30 graden aan. Het blijft een raadsel waarbij ik uiteraard het device opnieuw heb excluden en includen met de sensoren gekoppeld.

Weet even niet meer:-)

• Inquirer
  • Getting complete desperate in not getting my smart implant working with either a DS18b20 or a dht22 temp sensor.

I have tried everything from including to excluding, checking the wiring etc.

Did just now a clean include which ends up with 4 unassigned devices; 1 smart implant, 2 switches and 1 temp.

The including I did with a DS18b20 temp sensor whereby the wiring is as follows; brown wire smartplant to the red wire of the temp sensor; blue wire of the smart implant to the black wire of the temp sensor and the white wire of the smart implant to the yellow wire of the temp sensor. 

Power unit is 12v connected to red and blue of the smart device. Device lights green up when powering up.

Big question: What am I doing wrong, which setting have I missed/forgotten, etc.

Any help / advice would greatly appreciated!!!!!

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_09/image.png.275020d03e928df01a5489fc31aecebd.png" />

Hi, I could get the standard version of DS18B20 temp sensor working WITH a 4.7K Ohm resistor placed between the Voltage (brown) and Data (white) wires, however, I could never get the water resistant version working. As per the manual of the water resistant version, I should be using a 10K Ohm resistor, but no luck. I tried at least 6 different sensors so I am pretty sure it is not a damaged sensor or so.

As you said earlier the fibaro manual doesn't say a word whether or not you need a resistor, however, the instructions from temp sensor require that.  For ref here is the link

Please login or register to see this link.

Were you able to fix meanwhile?

Hi!
    I had a similar problem: I connected 4 DS18B20 sensors as per Smart Implant manual diagram. None of them showed up after including. But after some testing, I found out that one of the sensors where broken. I replaced that with a new one, and then all 4 sensors showed up after new delete and include. They where named as *ID no*.8 through *ID no*.11.
    I did not need any resistors.

• Inquirer
  • Hi, Thanks for the feedback and I must say I have stopped trying but with the information mentioned I will make a new setup during the weekend and let's hope it will work.

@Tomi @ bbese, can you share me your screen after you have installed the smart implant and the 4 DS18B20 sensor for my reference. Thanks!!!!

12 hours ago, Tomi... said:

@bbesse - Have you been using the water resistant version or the regular version ?

Hi. I bought some water resistant ones a I wanted to use them with my ground heat water pump (water condenses on the brine circuit piping). But seems the only difference  between water resistant and ordinary is that they have put some heat shrink rubber tubing outside ordinary ones....

14 hours ago, HKrook said:

Hi, Thanks for the feedback and I must say I have stopped trying but with the information mentioned I will make a new setup during the weekend and let's hope it will work.

@Tomi @ bbese, can you share me your screen after you have installed the smart implant and the 4 DS18B20 sensor for my reference. Thanks!!!!

Hi! I have organized and renamed my icons after installing them... But in your case, in addition to the four 278.x icons you got, you will get 278.8, 278.9, 278.10 and 278.11 temperature icons when included.

What I did to find the broken sensor, was i disconnected all but one sensor, and ran the deleting and including again. Now one sensor showed up! Then add one more, deleting and including and so on. On the third try, all sensors disappeared... I replaced the last added sensor with a new one, and did new delete/include, and voila! All sensors showed up :) 

• Inquirer
  • @bbesse; Thanks for your feedback and explanation and I will reinstalled as you suggested during the weekend.

Let you know if it worked!

• Inquirer
  • @bbesse; apologies for the belated reply, planning didn't went as planned. I reinstalled the smart implant with 2 ds18b20 sensor and now I see indeed 3 temp sensor. The one which is build in and the 2 ds18b20 sensors. So that works but I still have a couple of questions which you maybe can answer: 1) Do I have to leave the polling option as it is? 2) I find that the temp changes takes very long time to register. I have tried to play with the temp by using the sun in my window or trying to bring the temp down with a fan. It takes a lot of time before you see any change!? Any idea why? I didn't use any resistor at all! Maybe you can tell me your settings. 

After trying a group of different DS18B20 sensors, I am of the opinion that the temperature function is not operative as of firmware 5.1. It has always seemed suspicious to me that no published document I can find shows any parameters related to the temperature functions. At a minimum one would expect some calibration features or other configuration items to be available for tweaking. This alone makes me think the Smart Implant temperature sensor support is not implemented yet, which is to say it is falsely advertised both in literature and on their website.

As far as whether this will be resolved in another firmware release or not, it's a moot point for me as Fibaro has taken the brain dead stance that they will not release updates for for anything other than installation through their own proprietary automation system. This fact should be stated in all sales documents and on the box so that one can intelligently decide whether to risk purchase or not for a non-Fibaro native environment. 

• Like 1

I connect right this DS18B20 and ID 461: System hardware failure. Read the manual. 

What i need read ? What from the manual. Maybe im stupid ? Not working and thats all. I try 12 different sensors. All these is broken ? I specially bought new smart implant for temp sensors. 6 months and this *abuse* implant not working.6 months ago i bought my first smart implant.

• Like 1