Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Power Fibaro Motionsensor via cable

Guest DPKok

Question

Guest DPKok

Hi There,

Long time since I've been here so I might have missed something, sorry for that.

I'm figuring out a way to evade the use of the CR123A batteries since they are quite expensive and have the flaws off being empty ;) And the use of batteries at all being not that environmentally friendly.

The Idea I have is this:

In my (new) home, I'm going to have a Fibaro Motionsensor in every room corner.

In this corner, about 30 cm above the floor, I have a 220v socket. Im going to drill a extra hole next to it and place a empty flush mounted box there with a blind plate on it. In the box will come a AC-DC 220v to 3.3v Stepdown regulator (Mean Well IRM-02-3.3 AC/DC). Via a (in wall) Cat6a UTP cable I plan to transport the 3.3v to the upper corner of the room with the motionsensor. I know the CR123A is 3v but I'm guessing the cable might drop the .3v in transport. The maximum cable length shall be no more than 3m. Else I need to have a stepdown 3.3v to 3v in the motionsensor.

In the place where normally the CR123A comes I plan to 3D print a 'fill- up' part to connect the wires to the motionsensor. So in case of a flaw I do not need to solder in a corner 2,6m high. ;)

My questions here:

- Anyone did something like this, power the motionsensor via wallpower of any kind?

- Someone know the maximum length of a 3.3v cable

- Any other ideas or segestions are welcome

I plan to make a 'how to' here, so if you are interested come back later. :D

10 answers to this question

Guest Liam17
  • Inquirer
  • I've done the exact same thing in the last week, I'm running around 13 currently off 1 transformer using the old alarm cable in the house. Max cable length i'm using is probably around 15m (for 1). Everything works perfect and you can increase the temperature and light sensitivity. The only negative is the units show as low battery power in fibaro hc2 - even though they are working fine, I'm tempted to increase the voltage to 4.5v as i'm using an adjustable plug: 

Please login or register to see this link.

which will hopefully resolve this, I have read someone using 5v to power these with no problems 

I used the Aetoec multisensor 6 with a ceiling recessor. They look nice flushmounted in the celing, also detects humidity.  They come with a usb cable for external power, so i went and purchased  those low cost ikea 230V to usb outlets which i could plug into a mains socket in the ceiling cavity nearby

Take a look here for Fibaro motion sensor with external power

Guest DPKok
  • Inquirer
  • @Liam17 Thanks, is it the voltage drop that causes the 'low battery' notice, or the amperage? (I lack the right electric knowledge..)

@szmyk The USB solution is kinda ugly if you ask me. To many visible things. The second one is a good solution if the voltage drops to low, thanks.

@Flix123  Thanks, although I already have the Fibaro sensors... Plus, my celing is concrete so kinda hard to dril so many holes. Do like the flushmounted celing things though

Guest Liam17
  • Inquirer
  • 6 minutes ago, DPKok said:

@Liam17 Thanks, is it the voltage drop that causes the 'low battery' notice, or the amperage? (I lack the right electric knowledge..)

The voltage, The voltage is basically looking like a low battery, hence why upping this to 4.5 would solve it, Although a little higher than ideal but should be fine, plus some voltage will drop off along the way i imagine 

Guest DPKok
  • Inquirer
  • 24 minutes ago, MDC said:

Take a look here for Fibaro motion sensor with external power

This is it! Nice way to solve it, and easy to replace with the connector. Gonna try this, maybe it wil solve the voltage drop @Liam17 .

1 minute ago, DPKok said:

This is it! Nice way to solve it, and easy to replace with the connector. Gonna try this, maybe it wil solve the voltage drop @Liam17 .

I have this since last year, so no worries about batteries :)

Guest Liam17
  • Inquirer
  • On 9/4/2019 at 9:12 AM, DPKok said:

I've had it running on 4.5v since yesterday, Resolved the problem with it showing low battery, So far everything is okay but only time will tell,