Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Extend BT range & a timer alert

Kit

Hi all,

I recently bought a Door/Window Sensor 2 to attach to my garage door downstairs so that I'd know if my partner left the garage open again. I've found 2 problems that I still can't resolve, making the sensor pretty useless. I'm an all-Apple house, so latest iOS, Apple TV etc

The Bluetooth range only works in the garage, the sensor won't connect to anything upstairs (only feet away, but through a floor), making it pretty useless to stand in the garage to see if the garage door is open or not. Are there any range repeaters/extenders that work? I've only found audio-orientated ones so far, I'm not convinced they'll work.

Second part is that I want to set a timer on the sensor, which I've only been referred to the app - the time of the day. That doesn't work. I want to know if the door has been open longer than, say, 10 mins and get an alert and/or set another 'scene' based off this (if lights go red by the TV for example). I've looked at IFTTT app, which has Fibaro on, but nothing works, again. Anyone worked out any solutions?

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Look for HomeKit Range Extender. I think Eve released one or announced one coming soon. Not sure if it is compatible with non-Eve HomeKit accessories or not. There may be chipset dependency (i.e. bluetooth 5.x onwards since bluetooth meshing specifications only added in 5.x onwards).

Edited by chaicka

• Topic Author
  • Hey!
    Yeah, was reading more about this today. It's only compatible with Eve products. I'm probably going to sell the Fibaro sensor I've bought and go with Eve instead. Best solutions from the help desk was to buy another Apple TV or iPad for the garage which isn't a solution.

Thanks for the heads up tho

I know having iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) nearby actually extends the range too. It's like somehow the iOS devices acts like mesh/extender. But this is not always a possible solution.

• Topic Author
  • Having other iOS devices around is a no-brainer, it'll obviously connect to its BlueTooth and then that to the WiFi in the house and beyond, so yeah, it'll work. But I'm not really going to drop hundreds more on a new device to leave in the garage, so the $60 sensor I bought can tell me if my partner is showing the neighbours what we own.

I'll sell it and spend the money on Eve, that works for this situ

• Like 1