Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Home Center 3 is comming ?

fingusio

Question

Hello

I heard some news that new Home Center 3 comming in first quarter 2020.

Any other info someone have ?

Edited by fingusio
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

Yes, HC3 certainly can make life easy

There may be a faster way than getting a Fibaro solution. Get married, have children, wait for the eldest to become 15 and then send them to the cellar with a torch. This would take only 16 years and may be out before zigbee and bluetooth for the HC3.

Alternatively, divorce your partner, sell everything you have, buy a Ferrari, find an inappropriately younger partner and go on holiday to Bermuda ... that way you won't care about the cellar

?

Edited by PepsiMac
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 9:31 AM, jgab said:

Incorporating a zigbee chip does that mean that the HC3 aspire to be a zigbee Hub?

@jgab That may well be true though I assume we may have expected the ability to connect to zigbee devices.

Could you kindly advise another purpose of having a zigbee chip if not to connect in some way and if so, what ways we may utilise this feature?

What I like about fibaro (and other z-wave modules) is the ability to control devices directly. What I dislike about the Philips Hue is the lack of ability to control the bulbs directly.

On 2/1/2020 at 5:06 PM, PepsiMac said:

@jgab That may well be true though I assume we may have expected the ability to connect to zigbee devices.

Could you kindly advise another purpose of having a zigbee chip if not to connect in some way and if so, what ways we may utilise this feature?

What I like about fibaro (and other z-wave modules) is the ability to control devices directly. What I dislike about the Philips Hue is the lack of ability to control the bulbs directly.

I guess the advantage of having a zigbee radio in the HC3 is that the HC3 can connect directly to zigbee devices like lamps. However, it also then becomes the zigbee controller.

Currently you need a Hue hub or something similar that the HC2 talks HTTP to,  and then control the zigbee lamps.

The problem with this direct connection that I tried to point out is that a zigbee device (lamp etc) can only belong to one zigbee controller (only once place that it reports its status to).

In this case it would mean that I need to connect the lights to the HC3 and would not be able to use them from the Hue app or 3rd party Hue apps.

For me that's an issue - for you it may not matter.

The other thing that worries me is that if the HC3 is the zigbee hub for all zigbee devices we bring into our home, we need to rely on Fibaro being as fast as Philips to add support for new types of devices or firmware version of exiting devices...

The first HC3 boxes have been shipped, so we know what's on them and the beta testers can de-facto speak freely

2 hours ago, jgab said:

I guess the advantage of having a zigbee radio in the HC3 is that the HC3 can connect directly to zigbee devices like lamps. However, it also then becomes the zigbee controller.

I only started digging into Zigbee protocol a few months ago and I do not consider myself an expert. I will try to say how sure I am about a statement I make, but in case I forget to do this: please remind me!

Zigbee "hubs" are technically speaking "coordinators (and edge routers)" and are similar to what Z-Wave calls a "primary controller". And indeed, a Zigbee network can only have one of them, I am very sure about that. On forums you'll find people asking about that, and afaik having 2 coordinators would not make sense (because it manages the IDs of the devices).

What I am also very sure about is that HC3 ships with no Zigbee software at all, so we cannot say what they'll actually implement.

If they decide to make it a coordinator, then it cannot connect to any existing network. It can co-exist because Zigbee has (a) different channels and (b) assigns a different PAN ID to each network.

2 hours ago, jgab said:

Currently you need a Hue hub or something similar that the HC2 talks HTTP to,  and then control the zigbee lamps.

Correct, there is no standard way to talk to a "zigbee hub". For example, Ikea uses COAP and DTLS and those protocols are "modern" but also not very widely supported.

2 hours ago, jgab said:

The problem with this direct connection that I tried to point out is that a zigbee device (lamp etc) can only belong to one zigbee controller (only once place that it reports its status to).

Correct, a device belongs to one network only, and that network cannot have 2 coordinators.

But technically speaking, and rather academic, you could make a device eg that behaves like a "remote control" on a zigbee network. Like Z-Wave can have "secondary controllers" (but they never quite do what people expect from them).

2 hours ago, jgab said:

In this case it would mean that I need to connect the lights to the HC3 and would not be able to use them from the Hue app or 3rd party Hue apps.

The HC3 ships with the same HUE plugin (I am not 100% sure because I cannot test it with a Hue hub) so if that is good enough for you, you can leave them joined to the Hue.

I don't know anything about the "Hue app eco system"

2 hours ago, jgab said:

The other thing that worries me is that if the HC3 is the zigbee hub for all zigbee devices we bring into our home, we need to rely on Fibaro being as fast as Philips to add support for new types of devices or firmware version of exiting devices...

Yes, but IMHO at the moment Zigbee Light Link would make plenty of people happy, this is very opinion based but Zigbee devices are very basic devices anyway... I have no idea what the future brings, maybe in 1 year time we'll see a ton exciting Zigbee devices. Right now it is a (colour) bulb, a door sensor, a switch... If people are used to Fibaro devices with lot's of options and associations they'll be surprised how little, if any there is to configure.

If Zigbee evolves, which is surely possible, we might think about the issue of backwards compatibility and firmware updates. You might need the right "hub" to update your bulbs, does that problem sound familiar? ;)

This is not a buying advice I think Philips is ahead of the competition by adding Bluetooth to their Zigbee devices, so you have basic control and firmware update through their Hue Bluetooth app.

It is worth scanning other sites to have an idea of the compatibility and capability of Zigbee devices, eg:

Please login or register to see this link.

Edited by petergebruers
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

The first HC3 boxes have been shipped, so we know what's on them and the beta testers can de-facto speak freely

@A.Socha Time for some HC3 sections in the forum?

Would it be wise to keep discussions about scenes and VDs/QuickApps on separate HC2 and HC3 threads as they are a bit different? Not to confuse people looking for solutions...?

• Like 5

Yes, @jgab ! While we are waiting for Fibaro to introduce a new HC3 section, please stop this very long multi-themed thread. I suggest separate new threads for:

- HC3 specification and performance

- The HC3 GUI

- Migration from HC2 to HC3

- VDs/QuickApps (preferably one on the differences between HC2 and HC3 solutions, and in addition a new section/thread for HC3 solutions)

Any good opening post for any of these - or any other relevant HC3 topic? This thread has exhausted its useful life. Time to move on.

Here you have a video showing new HC3 interface:

and only video:

English

Edited by viperlodz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, knuth said:

Yes, @jgab ! While we are waiting for Fibaro to introduce a new HC3 section, please stop this very long multi-themed thread. I suggest separate new threads for:

- HC3 specification and performance

- The HC3 GUI

- Migration from HC2 to HC3

- VDs/QuickApps (preferably one on the differences between HC2 and HC3 solutions, and in addition a new section/thread for HC3 solutions)

Any good opening post for any of these - or any other relevant HC3 topic? This thread has exhausted its useful life. Time to move on.

If you do not like the current thread it is possible for you to stop following it ;-)
For me this thread still gives value.

• Like 1

I agree that this thread gives value to the insight of the new HC.

However, I find it really difficult to disagree with the suggestion about a section for the HC3 with sub threads for different subjects.

Why don't we start off by an organized section for the new device that probably (hopefully) will have the most posts in the time to come?

• Like 2

By all means, keep posting! I agree that this thread has provided valuable insight on a number of HC3-related topics. I had absolutely no intention of criticizing contributors. My only concern is that a catch-all thread like this will be harder to use later on, when users are looking for answers on something more specific. That, by the way, is why I prefer this forum to Facebook groups. Here I can search for and review a relevant discussion long after it was posted, while FB discussions flow like a river soon lost in the ocean. 

And by posting this, I have contributed yet another digression :-)  So, to repeat myself: Please, keep contributing to the valuable discussions on the HC3! But why not add a little thematic structure to it, for the benefit of future readers? 

• Like 1

Received an email from one of my suppliers saying they have the HC3 in stock

I am holding on for a while to see what the early adopters say ...

The topic has been moved from "

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".

Just saw new beta software available - it seems only scenes and virtual devices will not be transfered - I know this is a big thing with many configurations, but again I understand if they change the concept it is not easy to transfer.

Beta software changes list 4.581:

Version 4.581 Beta

The possibility of transferring the cloud backup to Home Center 3!
- Use the Transfer Configuration feature available from the Remote Access (home.fibaro.com).
- Both gateways must be assigned to the same Fibaro ID account and available on the Home Center list.
- The backup must be created on version 4.581 or higher.
- Home Center 3 must be on version 5.021 or higher.
- All Z-Wave devices, their configuration, room assignment, associations and parameters will be transferred.
- If you have thermostats, they will await reconfiguration.
- Scenes will not be moved and need to be created again.
- Virtual devices will not be moved. Use a new tool - Quick Apps - to implement them.
- The gateway from which you are moving the backup will still be available, but the devices will no longer communicate at all.
- The migration process cannot be undone - it is irreversible.