Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

• Topic Author
  • 23 minutes ago, dcspock said:

That means running around the house with my HC2 under my arm, right? Maybe I start with taking down the power of each room and see if the signal stops... then I know at least in which room the device is located..

You need to do that with your Zniffer plugged into a laptop :) 

1 minute ago, amilanov said:

You need to do that with your Zniffer plugged into a laptop

Luckily, that is my current setup ;-) 

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, amilanov said:

Maybe I start with taking down the power of each room and see if the signal stops... then I know at least in which room the device is located..

That could be a much quicker way to do it ?

1 hour ago, dcspock said:

I had checked the API, it is simply not there... that why my comment Getting from Fibaro's device ID to the node is easy - the other way around seems impossible... ;-) 

I see what you mean... You did the right thing! No, /docs (like http://192.168.0.51/docs/) won't help you because it is hidden in the response of api/devices, I mean the "docs" don't tell you it is there... But if you look at the raw response you'll find every Z-Wave device has a NodeId

I have the systemLogs downloaded in Sep-2019 (when it was still possible), the full dump - might the info be hidden in there?

I don't think so.

Yep, which also means its not battery powered (or we have a new record with a 7 year lasting battery). 

Correct.

How can I initiate this..?

On the advanced tab there is a button "Read configuration"

In Lua do api.post("/devices/899/action/readWholeConfiguration") and 899 is your master device. It is a hidden command and a secret ;)

Don't get overexcited and don't put that in a loop.

That means running around the house with my HC2 under my arm, right? Maybe I start with taking down the power of each room and see if the signal stops...

As @amilanov pointed out, in this case, move the Zniffer. I was going to suggest your "power down" option (to narrow it down), but I forgot to mention that.

1 hour ago, 10der said:

Please login or register to see this link.

omitted "?"

Yes. Thanks. Corrected. If you forget it you'll get more devices so I did not notice it wasn't filtering...

3 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

On the advanced tab there is a button "Read configuration"

In Lua do api.post("/devices/899/action/readWholeConfiguration") and 899 is your master device. It is a hidden command and a secret

This is great - but remember there is no device-ID (or HC2 does not show it to me) ?

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, dcspock said:

This is great - but remember there is no device-ID (or HC2 does not show it to me) ?

This is why I suggested earlier on that maybe a call to Fibaro support is required.

How did the testing go with powering down circuits and then using your mobile zniffer to find the device?

I contacted Fibaro support yesterday, repsonse pending...

Will see if I can test the powering down tonight  when the family sleeps ;-) 

23 minutes ago, dcspock said:

Right, I didn't properly explain what I meant, I reread my post and see it is not clear:

"Here's another option to find it with Zniffer. Try to make an educated guess but keep a record of the devices you're going to check in the next step! Then do something to communicate with the the device. Eg do "read configuration" because that should not harm and should be very visible in Zniffer."

So what I mean is ... Let's suppose for whatever reason, NodeID 217 does NOT appear in /api/devices, but still is a valid device and is used in some way on your HC2... There seems to be a dialog between those 2 devices, that might be inited by the 217 node but also maybe by your HC, cannot tell that from your screenshot.

So let's pretend one of the "devices on your HC2" is actually that node but somehow the "NodeId" = "217" is missing (at least in "parts of your HC2").

If you look at the decoded packets, maybe combined with that power down test, you might come to the conclusion "it is a switch" and it is could be one of several devices. Then take the list of valid, working devices that you think might be 217. Do something. If you see traffic to a node that is not 217 - then it is not that device.

I do not know if the API could fail in such a manner, it does not seem very likely to me.

But this is a tough problem, it might require some out of the box thinking.

9 hours ago, petergebruers said:

There seems to be a dialog between those 2 devices, that might be inited by the 217 node but also maybe by your HC, cannot tell that from your screenshot.

Correct, both ways...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I have saved a few lines in the attached file:

which should also show the details of the frame - any idea??

I walked around the house with the Zniffer, I guess I have the area (around the bedroom) but could not power down yet (wife, TV, you know)...

How long should I leave the power out before the last frame vanished? Or should this be immediately stop when I hit the fuse?

This is driving me nuts. Looks like 99% of the traffic is caused by this device!!

So after 3 hours going crazy in the house I finally found the rouge device - outside. 

It is a Fibaro Double Switch which apparently is still in the system but is simply gone on the interface! 

It was originally included in a group (its part of the outside lights, 4 devices grouped) so I did not immediately notice in autumn....

And I found it in another backup of the API I took in March with a device-ID that does not exist anymore. Great stuff.

That makes it three of the Fibaro Double Switches gone rouge - two of them v3.3 (third is the one outside). I will try and get it tomorrow and... well, then? Try to exclude it I guess... and re-include...

will let you know. good night now

Quite a story... But looks like progress to me!

12 minutes ago, dcspock said:

its part of the outside lights, 4 devices grouped

Out of curiosity... If you toggle that group, does it still respond? If it does work, then I wonder why 217 does not show up in /api/devices...

10 minutes ago, dcspock said:

I will try and get it tomorrow and... well, then? Try to exclude it I guess..

Yes, please... Try to properly exclude. As I've mentioned before on this forum: any controller can exclude any device at any time. It does not matter what state it is in...

3 hours ago, dcspock said:

I have saved a few lines in the attached file:

which should also show the details of the frame - any idea??

Yes,  I know what is happening, it is sending energy/power reports as fast as it can.

Other users have mentioned it, it is probably a device firmware bug of the FGS-223 v 3.3. I think it happens when you try to disable power reporting by setting both parameter 53 and 57 to zero. Or possibly other combinations of parameters set to zero.

• Thanks 1

Yes 10den. A familiar problem that led to a family divorce from fibaro. It took me more time to find and fix this malfunction, and no one could not tell. The device was also not connected to the HC2, and clogged the network. This means that the option with the terror of a bad client is possible, (throw the device with parameters 58, 59 = 0 and throw it over the fence, and his house will freeze!)
    This guy is lucky to get advice so fast!
    PS. We have had more than two months of happy marital marriage with Fibaro.

Tagging @m.roszak. Is fibaro aware that certain combinations of parameters on the FGS-223 (V 3.3 - not tested on other versions) cause it to report power/energy as fast as it can? So far this seems to be the case with both 58,59 set to zero and also happens when 53 and 57 are bothe 0. This was reported by other users, not by me, I haven't tested it, but both issues were confirmed by Zniffer captures.

• Thanks 1

Oh sweet irony, trying to make your network faster by disabling energy reports and the opposite happens. 

at least I know what to do now, thanks everybody! I will let you know the end of the story...

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • On 11/17/2019 at 2:07 PM, amilanov said:

Reducing Traffic – Other Bugs/Issues

3. Once you have run the Sanity Script and made necessary parameter updates you can look again at the Zniffer. You may find other issues. I had at least 6 of them. They were Fibaro Double and Single Switch modules where I had turned reporting off. By doing this a bug is exposed where the devices spam the network constantly to the point where my system was dealing with a constant traffic of over 40 frames per second. In the first instance you can set parameters to default to stop it. The issue appears to be with setting certain parameters:

- Fibaro Single Switch, as soon as you set parameter 53 = 0 to disable it or 320 to set it to the max enabled value, the reverse spamming begins with what looks like the controller sending single sided 9.6k frames every 1000ms. When I set 53 = 319 the spamming stops!

- Fibaro Double Switch: I haven't tested extensively, but by setting parameters 53 and 57 to 319 the spamming stops

PS: You need to set the above parameters to 31900 if you are doing this using LUA, else 319 through the interface and to make things interesting I have found 2x Fibaro Single Switched where I can set parameter 53=0 and the spamming doesn't happen. Go figure.

I covered the topic of the Fibaro Relay spamming the network in point 3 of the OP. 

@dcspock, let's hope you're system gets back to functional now! 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:59 AM, petergebruers said:

So far this seems to be the case with both 58,59 set to zero and also happens when 53 and 57 are bothe 0. This was reported by other users, not by me, I haven't tested it, but both issues were confirmed by Zniffer captures.

actually other device have exact same issue with handling 0, i recommend to set to what so ever large value instead of 0

• 2 weeks later...

Promised update: Last week-end a took down the power room after room. And still the damn thing sent his updates flooding the network. I could not believe it! So I ran around the house with Zniffer on my laptop, looking at the RSSI - and yes, I could make out that the "bad" device was somewhere upstairs in my bed-room/dressing room. But - I took down the power there? And still it was sending? Am I going crazy?!

Taking a sip of Whisky, looking again at the fuse box - and finding a fuse that apparently our electrician setup separately, no label. I darkly remembered we had a problem with the outside power outlet...Could it be...? And yes! It was!! Finally! And checking the HC2 front-end I noticed that the UI did not show the switch. Well, being Winter and not using that swich frequently i apparently did not notice its disappearance. 

Climbing up the ladder, removing from the wall box, excluding from HC2 (worked!) and re-included, re-installed... ALL IS GOOD!!

Many thanks to all that have helped me on this adventure! Now the network is much more stable (espc. the Motion Sensors) and I can have a look into even more optimising the network...

Speaking of which:

On 11/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, amilanov said:

9. Check state before changing state - In LUA always check the state of a device before changing the state of a device - I've been using this one since the beginning. It will help reduce zwave traffic.

Is this really the case? Is checking the status not also sending a command to the device to receive its current status? Is this more efficient than sending an on/off command? Or is the HC2 taking the last status it has got in its database? I hope its the first...?

Again - many thanks!!