Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to wire implant for controlling 24V heating actuator

schnarked

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm ripping out what remains of my hair trying to work out how to wire the smart implant for controlling a 24V heating actuator (image attached).

I've done the same wiring as for controlling my curtains / garage door, and they're all working fine, and the device can be accessed from the network / is showing the elements correctly from what i'm seeing - I am running Homeseer not the Fibaro product, but i can't see how that would be making any difference as the other Smart Implants are working just fine.

I've tried swapping the brown / blue cabling into each of the outputs, as well as changing the outputs, but nothing seems to be working.

Is this smart implant not able to control this sort of device, or am i doing something dumb here!?!?! Part of the reason why i bought this device is because the Fibaro website shows almost this exact example as a use case, although i'd be super useful if they showed how to wire it!

Thanks,

Kieran

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by schnarked

3 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Hi, 

For the curtains i'm controlling via the Fibaro Smart Implant (I have others that are Somfy motors, and i'm doing those a different way), it work as follows:

• The Curtain motor has a RJ11 plug as their interface point, and it supports Open, Close, Stop, with four wires to control this (Open, Close, Stop, Common) - the curtain works as a momentary press for reference
    • I've got a RJ11 cable + plug (e.g. an old telephone cable) and then have broken out the cable links at the end
    • I've wired in the Open + Common to Output 1 on the Smart Implant
    • I've wired in the Close + Common to Output 2 on the Smart Implant, noting that i've done this by putting a simple loopback between the common on Output 1 to Output 2
    • I then trigger the Output as i need to Open / Close, and in my case (due to how the curtain works / the intergration), leave the button switched on until i know that the Curtain has opened + some time to cater for zWave delays

I've also used the same approach for controlling gates / garage doors with the Smart Implant, but that's been achieved by having a spare remote which then has it's buttons modified with solder to allow them to be triggered that way.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need more info or a photo

This is Thermal actuator.
    There are no motors, only a wax cartridge. The change takes a long time (about 5 minutes) and only a small center disc extends.
    Try to first connect the drive separately by connecting it to the power supply (continue), let it slide out fully and leave at least 15min (for first run).

Then let it cool down and connect it to SmartImplant.

If connect power to actuator, after few minutes is hot -> actuator is opening

If disconnect power, actuator is colding -> closing
    This is a very long process.

MN

Edit:

Ah, it is similar topic:

Edited by Martin_N