Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

D.E. Moccamaster coffe machine / FIBARO switch hack

mmakaay

I wanted to make my coffee machine smarter. I started out by plugging it into a smart plug. That was fun, but not perfect.
For starters, I prepared the machine the night before a few times, only to find out the next morning that I forgot to set the power switch on the machine to “on”. Home Assistant did turn on the smart plug, but since the machine was turned off itself, no cuppa for this guy. Big disappointment.
Another bit of irritation with this setup was still having to turn on the power plug after having turned on the machine manually.

The confusion I ran into is of course the result of having two distinct power switches for a single device, where both switches have to be turned on to make the machine work. That is why I came up with the plan to hack the coffee machine by installing a power switch that can be controlled by both Home Assistant and the physicial switch on the machine. That way, there is only one power switch, removing all confusion.

I ended up installing a FIBARO switch and so far I love the results.

I took photographs during the mod process and created a step-by-step description. If you're interested, you can find it on my github:

Please login or register to see this link.

• Like 4

@mmakaay,

Chapeau!!!

Great Job.

I did something similar with the kitchen hood.

My water cooker is doing it with wall plug, indeed if I forget to switch water cooker on no tea in the morning.

I am to lazy to do what you have done, hahaha.

Success with automation!!!

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys. Waking up this morning to the smell of a fresh pot of coffee was terrific.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Topic Author
  • Somebody who tried modding his coffee machine ran into an issue with the FIBARO switch 2. After drilling down the issue, our conclusion was that for him the overcurrent protection of the switch gets in the way on a 110V power grid. So I added the following info to my mod description:

IMPORTANT: this will only work if you're on a 220V network, so for example not in the us where 110V is used. The FIBARO switch has an overcurrent protection of 11A. The coffee machine has a peak power usage of about 1400W (when water is being cooked). On a 110V network, the current will exceed 11A and the switch will turn itself off after a few seconds. Check out this 

If you want to make this work on 110V, you'll have to find a switch that can handle the required currect (about 14A or more) or drive a separate slave relay from the FIBARO switch.

If anybody has a different solution for 110V networks, then I'd be interested to hear about it.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I'm a little late to this forum, but I have the Moccamaster coffee machine and I'm looking for repair parts because a few elements no longer work properly. I came across

which sells repair parts. I have no experience with the website or their quality and I was wondering if anyone has purchased from this site before. I thought I would inquire about other people's experiences with the website prior to making a purchase. 

I hope someone can help :)

Edited by jjustink