Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

RGBW Controlling White Channel from Wall Switch

alex88

Question

Does anyone have a RGBW strip working from a single wall switch where the wall switch (Fibaro RGBW 1) controls all 4 channels?

My setup is a single gang momentary switch in rainbow mode.

I would expect when you set the module to RGBW in the BUI that:

1) Rainbow mode would rotate through both white created by mixing RGB as well as just turning the white channel (only) on

2) When I turn the RGBW off from the wall switch all 4 channels are turned off; and similarly all 4 channels are turned on from the wall switch, as required

As you can imagine it's annoying to:

1a) Fork out for warm white RGBW led strips and then not be able to rotate to the white channel only - which is the colour I want to use most often

2a) Have set the light to white channel only through the BUI or mobile app and then not be able to turn off the lights from the wall switch. As the wall switch does not control the white channel when only the W channel is active and you go to turn the lights off from the wall switch the Fibaro module actually thinks the lights are already off so it turns the RGB channels back on leaving the white channel untouched, which is the worst outcome as RGB washed out with W is worse then RGB on it's own most of the time. In the end you can only rotate between RGBW and W channels being on each time you press the wall switch. You can never turn off all 4 channels from the wall switch.

I can't imagine I'm the first person to have come across this problem given how old the Fibraro RGBW module is.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have raised a ticket with support months ago, but still no answer, so I'm looking to the forum for help.

Edited by amilanov

9 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • I'm really surprised that no one has installed a RGBWW led strip with a single momentary switch and not had the same issue.... 

Ho Amilanov, i have a same issue. I wrote my problem to this forum and no answers here. It mad me.

have you got any progress?

• Inquirer
  • If by your question you mean, have Fibaro replied to any of my countless emails asking them to please respond to my questions, the answer is, No.

I think Fibaro are busy beta testing the HC3 right now with their new customers. They don't have any time for people with silly questions about the other devices they sold in the past.

The short of it is that the product (Fibaro RGBW and I assume Fibaro RGBW 2) has been defective since the day it was released and Fibaro have up until now not taken the time to resolve the issues with it.

Why it is so hard to reply to emails and just say it's on a log of things to do, is beyond me. I suppose it's more fun p*ssing your customers off by ignoring them.

Well done, again, Fibaro... ?

Edited by amilanov

As You probably discovered Yourself by now:

1. Fibaro isn't giving a damn about customer feedback.
    2. RGBW is flawed in many ways which could probably be easily fixed with firmware update. Well it ain't going to happen.
    3. There are flaws that are hardware related - very low frequency PWM for instance.
    4. There are really no alternatives for Fibaro RGBW that wouldn't have mentioned issues.

Thanks for understanding and have a lovely day xD

Why do not create a scene to drive your RGBW ?

One click:

if it's "on" then turn off

else turn on white

Two click:

Start rainbow

Hello Alex. All good?

I will try to help you in some way. I hope I can do it.

First, excuse me for any translation errors. I am translating from Portuguese to English with Google Translate.

I've had the RGBW 1 in the box for about 4 or 5 years, but I only installed it today because I was constantly moving.

Let's go...

I have a similar installation to yours. In other words, only the W channel (IN4) is connected to a switch.

So on the switch I only have the W channel (IN4) and GND.

As the technical translation gets a little complicated, my switch is not the button. It is the one that turns on in one position and remains stationary and to turn off I change the position. I don't know if this is what they call a "momentary switch".

In this installation, when I turn on the switch, only the W channel is turned on. No other channel is connected. Therefore, the tape becomes white. When I turn it off, it turns off too, nothing is left on.

Important, in this type of switch it is necessary to change the key to "on/off switch" in the advanced tab (controlled device - advanced).

You said that when you turn off your switch the white is turned off, because in fact this is correct, since IN4 is linked to the switch, but the RGB should not be on, that is, it should not remain on.

Did you make a direct connection from channels IN1, IN2, IN3 directly to GND, without going through the switch? From your report, that seems to be it, in my opinion.

So, to leave only W (on and off) on, without leaving RGB on when you turn off the switch, you should remove this connection from the other channels to GND.

In this configuration that I indicated, the W will turn off and on. But to change color you must use the app.

This is where my problem starts, which led me to your post when I searched for RGBW and Fibaro.

Although the W turns on and off, in the configuration I gave you, I cannot, via the APP, modify the colors. In other words, I can't change it to blue, red, green or a combination of these, as it doesn't leave the W.

The program he has configured (Fireplace, Storm, Rainbow, Aurora, LPD) works when I select them, but I can't change them through the "picker".

I'm thinking it's some configuration (parameter), but I'm still searching online.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Hugs.

------------- Em português para aqueles que chegarem até aqui ------------- In Portuguese for those who arrive here -------------

Olá Alex. Tudo bem?

Irei tentar ajudá-lo de alguma forma. Espero que eu consiga.

Primeiro, desculpe-me algum erro de tradução. Estou traduzindo do Português para o Inglês com o Google Tradutor.

Eu tenho o RGBW 1 na caixa há uns 4 ou 5 anos, mas somente hoje eu o instalei, pois eu estava me mudando constantemente.

Vamos lá...

Eu estou com a instalação semelhante a sua. Ou seja, somente o canal W (IN4) está ligado a um interruptor. 

Então no interruptor eu tenho somente o canal W (IN4) e o GND.

Como a tradução técnica fica um pouco complicada, o meu interruptor não é o pulsador. É aquele que em uma posição liga e fica parado e para desligar mudo a posição. Não sei se esse é o que chamam de "m omentary switch".

Nesta instalação, quando eu ligo o interruptor, somente o canal W é ligado. Não é ligado nem um outro canal. Portanto, a fita fica branca. Quando eu o desligo, ele é desligado também, não fica nada acesso.

Importante, neste meu tipo de interruptor é necessário modificar na aba avançado (dispositivo controlado - avançado) a chave para "interruptor liga/desliga"

Você disse que quando desliga o seu interruptor o branco é desligado, pois de fato este é o correto, uma vez que o IN4 está vinculado ao interruptor, mas o RGB não deveria estar ligado, ou seja, não deveria permanecer ligado.

Você fez uma ligação direta dos canais IN1, IN2, IN3 diretamente ao GND, sem passar pelo interruptor? Pelo seu relato, parece ser isso, na minha opinião. 

Então, para deixar ligado tão somente o W (ligar e desligar), sem deixar o RGB ligado quando desligar o interruptor, deveria retirar essa ligação dos demais canais ao GND.

Nesta configuração que indiquei, o W irá desligar e ligar. Mas para mudar de cor deverá usar o app.

É aqui que o meu problema começa, o que fez com que eu chegasse ao seu post quando pesquisei por RGBW e Fibaro. 

Embora o W ligue e desligue, nessa configuração que te passei, eu não consigo, pelo APP, modificar as cores. Ou seja, não consigo mudar para azul, vermelho, verde ou uma combinação desses, pois ele não sai do W.

O programa que ele tem configurado (Fireplace, Storm, Rainbow, Aurora, LPD) funcionam quando eu os seleciono, mas não consigo mudar pelo "picker".

Estou achando que é alguma configuração (parâmetro), mas continuo a pesquisar pela internet.

Espero que isso te ajude de alguma forma.

Abraços.

Passing by to provide feedback to anyone who needs it.

- My RGBW is one and I had it for 4 or 5 years, as I said above.

- Updated the firmware. He does it one by one. In other words, one version after another. It doesn't go straight to the latest version.

- My switch is of the "on" and "off" type (Toggle).

- I modified the following parameters:

Parameter 6 - I selected value 3, because with "BRIGHTNESS" and, because my switch only has "W" ("IN4") turned on, I believe that by turning it on you end up controlling the intensity of all channels at the same time. Same time. I believe this is it.

- I modified parameter 14 (I use HC3). I entered the value 21845. How did I find it? You can calculate it at this link here:

Please login or register to see this link.

Just look for parameter 14.

As I have a toggle switch (on/off), I selected the RGBW - TOGGLE (BRIGHTNESS MODE) option on all channels.

It worked out.

Before, if I turned it on and changed the color, I couldn't turn it off at all. It changed the color, but didn't turn off.

With these changes, it started to shut down.

Do not use the table in the manual. See the link I provided, as it will automatically calculate it for you.

- Before I wasn't able to change the color. I managed it only after modifying parameter 14. I have an HC3. Although the Manual says the default is 4369, it was zero (zero - 0). Therefore, it did not send the color change command to the RGBW Controller.

Before I forget. I also changed parameter 71 to zero (0), so when turned on again via the switch or app it will set to white. That is my intention.

I use a lef RGBW tape.

------------- Em português para aqueles que chegarem até aqui ------------- In Portuguese for those who arrive here -------------

Passando para fornecer um feedback para quem precisar.

- O meu RGBW é o um e eu estava com ele há 4 ou 5 anos, conforme disse acima.

- Atualizei o firmware. Ele faz isso um por um. Ou seja, uma versão após a outra. Não vai direto para a última versão.

- O meu interruptor é do tipo "liga" e "desliga" (Toggle).

- Modifiquei os seguintes parâmetros:

Parâmetro 6 - Selecionei o valor 3, pois com o "BRIGHTNESS" e, em razão de o meu interruptor possuir apenas o "W" ("IN4") ligado, acredito que ligando ele você acaba por controlar a intencidade de todos os canais ao mesmo tempo. Eu acredito que seja isso.

- Modifiquei o parâmetro 14 (uso o HC3). Coloquei o valor 21845. Como encontrei? É possível calcular neste link aqui:

Please login or register to see this link.

É só procurar o parâmetro 14. 

Como eu tenho um interruptor do tipo toggle (liga/desliga), selecionei em todos os canais a opção RGBW - TOGGLE (BRIGHTNESS MODE).

Deu certo. 

Antes, se eu ligasse no interruptor e modificasse a cor, eu não conseguia de forma alguma desligar pelo interruptor. Ele mudava a cor, mas não desligava. 

Com essas modificações, passou a desligar.

Não use a tabela do manual. Veja o link que indiquei, pois ele irá calcular  automaticamente para você.

- Antes eu não estava conseguindo mudar a cor. Consegui apenas depois de modificar o parâmetro 14. Eu tenho um HC3. Embora o Manual diga que o padrão é 4369, ele estava zerado (zero - 0). Por isso, não mandava o comando de mudança das cores para o RGBW Controller. 

Antes que eu me esqueça. Também modifiquei o parâmetro 71 para zero (0), pois desta forma ao ligar novamente pelo interruptor ou app ele irá setar para branco. Essa é a minha intenção. 

Uso uma fita lef RGBW.

Edited by Fabio