Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro motion sensor Dead

amatt

Question

Does anyone else have this same issue with the fibaro motion sensor? Did you resolve it, if so how? 

you add the motion sensor to home center and it works for a month then all of a sudden it will not detect motion and becomes a dead. it will not wakeup or respond to any commands in HC2. checked the sensor and has full battery so its not a battery issue. this has happened twice already. supposedly it is "up to date" in terms of software updates. Fibaro please fix this issue!!!

*yes I have re-added it to HC2 but that does not resolve the issue permanently. 

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

Yes, I have one with same behavior... but after reset device it can works 1/2 week again than again stop detection  

• Like 1

How far your sensor from HC2?  Did you move/replace any devices recently?

Try to see if your sensor has direct communication with HC2... use sensor's range test feature.

Dit you try to install a new battery? I had problems with a brand new motion sensor and the battery indicator said full battery. I replaced it with a new one and works flawless. I think the battery indication is bad on Fibaro devices. When my motion detectors get low battery they are going to act weird, like detecting motion when there is none. All my sensors have that. When I replace the batteries on time they work good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Liam17

Yes i am having the same problem, I have 20 of the sensors and they drop like flies. Fibaro support said there was an issue with secure mode so to include these in non secure mode. This hasn't resolved the problem. 

I changed a load of these to be via mains power instead of battery, This didn't solve the problem but did reduce my battery replacement bill, Fibaro support then said this was the issue (it isn't), When asking for an explanation or why it still happens on my battery powered ones they stopped replying and ignored the support ticket. Basically it seems that there is a software/hardware fault with these that fibaro cares very little about resolving. 

Its exactly the same situation in terms of them working for a period of time then just going dead and loosing connection. Its a random period of time and all are different and some don't drop at all, Its not due to range as some of the closest ones even drop and when inspecting the zwave network they are via direct connection not on the mesh 

Edited by Liam17

• Inquirer
  • On 1/19/2020 at 4:05 AM, cag014 said:

How far your sensor from HC2?  Did you move/replace any devices recently?

Try to see if your sensor has direct communication with HC2... use sensor's range test feature.

it is not far at all maybe 20 feet

i add devices all the time

On 1/19/2020 at 4:31 AM, Joep said:

Dit you try to install a new battery? I had problems with a brand new motion sensor and the battery indicator said full battery. I replaced it with a new one and works flawless. I think the battery indication is bad on Fibaro devices. When my motion detectors get low battery they are going to act weird, like detecting motion when there is none. All my sensors have that. When I replace the batteries on time they work good.

i have tried new batteries, did not help. yeah there is something wrong with Fibaro's battery indicators they never seem to work right.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:42 AM, Liam17 said:

Yes i am having the same problem, I have 20 of the sensors and they drop like flies. Fibaro support said there was an issue with secure mode so to include these in non secure mode. This hasn't resolved the problem. 

I changed a load of these to be via mains power instead of battery, This didn't solve the problem but did reduce my battery replacement bill, Fibaro support then said this was the issue (it isn't), When asking for an explanation or why it still happens on my battery powered ones they stopped replying and ignored the support ticket. Basically it seems that there is a software/hardware fault with these that fibaro cares very little about resolving. 

Its exactly the same situation in terms of them working for a period of time then just going dead and loosing connection. Its a random period of time and all are different and some don't drop at all, Its not due to range as some of the closest ones even drop and when inspecting the zwave network they are via direct connection not on the mesh 

i agree with you, i think fibaro is ignoring the "little" issues and needs to resolve them.

• Like 1

I just wanted to post a new thread about motion sensor death, but I see it's not only me facing this issue.

Today I did some reset/restore backup - then I noticed that a motion sensor, connected directly to the HC2 (no repeater) which 99% worked fine (once or twice got stuch in triggered state) stopped responding to motion. I saw it triggered, but it did not light up when I moved in front of it. I took it down from the ceiling and it did not flash like it did before when I moved it...

I replaced battery and it works fine.

Luckily before system restore I saved battery status of devices with a code made by jiwi - and it showed: 

17) Fo, Előszoba mozgás | room Előszoba is at ---- 59 % ✔️

Now with the new battery is 100% of course.

The Z-range analyzer by cag014 shows this:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_01/image.png.97a32e8f45ef4e87884256493373ee26.png" />

So the battery level reporting may be buggy, or maybe some network issue freezes the sensor's FW so that it stops working...

• Like 1

Same here.

Sensors keep dying. I did buy a second sensors, I did buy new batteries.

The first sensor did work for over a year, but since he died the first time, it only works for few hours / days and is going dead again. I stopped reincluding it on and on and on. Currently I am using Hue Motion Sensors in me openHAB setup.

Distance to wired powered fibaro switch 1 is 2 meters.