Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Can I use the Neutral wire of nearby outlet to setup Fibaro single switch?

Ehsan

So I’ve bought a Fibaro single switch HomeKit but there’s no Neutral wire in my switch box although my apartment is built recently. It’s probably a stupid question but I was wondering can I use the Neutral wire of nearby power outlet for that?

27 minutes ago, Ehsan said:

So I’ve bought a Fibaro single switch HomeKit but there’s no Neutral wire in my switch box although my apartment is built recently. It’s probably a stupid question but I was wondering can I use the Neutral wire of nearby power outlet for that?

Hi @Ehsan,

Yes you could if the neutral wire is switched with the same circuit breaker as you're live wire  in the switch box.

The question should also be, Is it allowed in you're country.

Ask a certified electrician if it is allowed. This to avoid any problems in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Ask a certified electrician if it is allowed. This to avoid any problems in the future.

Definitely get an electrician to verify.

In some situations the neutrals from the lighting circuit is kept separate from the neutral s in the socket circuit and using one for the other can be dangerous.

Never take chances.. 

Edited by AutoFrank

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the answers. While I’m trying to find an electrician, is there any other alternative with HomeKit support that could work without the neutral wire?

In my appartment there's also no neutral wires behind the switches. They are in the ceiling fixture boxes.

Luckily I had the space in my lamps, so that's where I installed the fibaro switches. 

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, RonCom said:

They are in the ceiling fixture boxes.

But do you also have a live wire in the ceiling? I only have the switched live wire in the ceiling, so if I install it there then I believe the physical switch will turn the smart switch off as well. I mean, that way if I turn off the physical switch I can’t turn it back on through HomeKit anymore

In my ceiling boxes are neutral, live, earth and switched live wires. 
    Only the earth, neutral and switch wires were pushed through the lamp mounting plate. The live wire was easy to add and push through with the others.
    The lamps can be turned on and or off with either wallswitch or fibaro. The wallswitch activates the fibaroswitch wich turns on the lamp.