Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

ST814 Alternative - Temp Sensor with LCD

RiccardoCanetta

Question

Hi

one of my 6 oldest Everspring ST814 Temperature sensors (from October 2012) is now eating up batteries like crazy and this is an issue because I lose temperature control if the battery dies while I am away.

So I'm looking for a replacement and it seems ST814 is not available anymore - so, what are the best alternatives with LCD screen? I have seen the Danfoss RS-Z and found mixed feedback in the forum... anything else?

Thanks!
Riccardo

10 answers to this question

just wait two months, there are 3 new battery powered thermostates, with Temp/Humidity, Display and ZW700 chip (so running "forever" in compare to ST814) coming, acutally from 3 manufacturers. 

Forget the ancient ST814 or even worse Danfoss RS-Z

Edited by tinman

• Inquirer
  • 17 hours ago, tinman said:

just wait two months, there are 3 new battery powered thermostates, with Temp/Humidity, Display and ZW700 chip (so running "forever" in compare to ST814) coming, acutally from 3 manufacturers. 

Forget the ancient ST814 or even worse Danfoss RS-Z

Hi this looks interesting... any more details you can share? who are the 3 manufacturers? I searched on ZwaveAlliance website and found nothing...

Thanks!
    R

On 1/30/2020 at 5:13 PM, tinman said:

I like the ST814, works good (with association for humidity and fan). But can’t find it for sale. 

Any news on the new battery powered thermostates? 

44 minutes ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

Any news on the new battery powered thermostates? 

sure, there was two candidates, MCO Home decided to remove (after first 1k batch,wtf ...) the battery holder, so it is only external powered. Luckily everything is inside, afaik ever charger for li-?? accu. Hower ... it is still zw500, so i would say, skip that product.

---

The really nice battery powered (FLiRS, with zw700) is Heatit Z-Temp2,

Please login or register to see this link.

works so far with HC3:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_10/image.png.bbb9a39fffa6651b85577c31dab1d1eb.png" />

can send switch on/off (to external relais, if you wish to use it as Thermostate), as well temp reports via multichannel association

image.png.661894b3b92b04ced9146aa645a3ca92.png

So far no issues (no, there is no template), one should only not poll it (it is FLiRS), becuase if you do so, you will get notification about power restore:

image.png.ba4608df250343693e17dfdba24836c5.png

With HC2 one can include it secure to get all things visible, when inscured included humidity sensor is missing (on HC3 no need to include it in secure mode) 

Generally the functionality on HC2 with 4.600 does not satisfy me, i would say "not recommended".

• Thanks 1

it does report by default every 900 seconds both temp and humidity, and if there is change higher than the delta (1° temp and 10% hum by default) immediatelly, so not, no delay. Edit: and yes, there are parameters to set these (and lot of others) things:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_10/image.png.31f2899643deb5829f673b60abbd0f96.png" />

Edited by tinman

Thanks @tinman

I am asking because I am looking for a HC2 solution for my heating.

On the first floor is the workshop and on the second floor the office. I work most of the time on the second floor, heating on the first floor is not nessecary, but the thermostate is on the first floor. 

I (almost) have a MCO Home for the first floor. I need a temperature reading on the second floor to give the thermostate on the first floor a push.

Can it work with a Heatit on the second floor, for example with an association with the MCO Home on the first floor? 

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

I think a scene maybe would be better, because when I am out of the office, I don't need the Heatit on the second floor to push the MCO Home on the first floor to turnOn. Ik can turn on and off the scene if I am in or out of the office. 

That won't be a problem

Edited by SmartHomeEddy