Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Burnt FGS 223

Adrian Mare

Question

Hello,

I have 2 FGS-223 which in a couple of days got to the state in the images. Could you please advice on what could have gone wrong with them?

- Problem seems to have been between Q1 and N.

- The screw connections are clean, meaning the wires were not loose.

- Lights connected were @100 W power.

- The house has new wiring.

- Workers on site, cut off power every evening and turned it on every morning.

Thank you.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

13 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Qubino.. Aeotec... Fibaro... Does not matter, it is the size of the relay used internally, the bulk of the contact, the gap size and the "spring force" (to pull contacts apart).

i disagree with you on this. Fibaro manual says clearly not to use with inductive load while both aeotec and qubino confirmed that their relay works with inductive load too so the company DOES matter .  I got 3 aeotec nano switch too when the one from fibaro melted down and no aeotec was affected 

@adrianu you are a dissatisfied customer and I can say nothing to make you happy, and I am not going to try... The best advice I can give is please keep in touch with your reseller and with Fibaro and try to find a solution, that is much more likely to get results. Or file a complaint (you already did?), but then you are no longer on speaking terms and I am not sure if that is helpful.

All I can do is put things in perspective, try to educate people about things... Like those tiny little relays never will work with an air conditioner... Either because they detect over current or fail soon...

1 hour ago, adrianu said:

Basically the main post is the seller searching for reasons and after days of private conversation he found deep in fibaro manual that i shouldn't have used inductive lights, so if the seller that works in the domain and has technical knowledge didin't know about this, how was i supposed to know as an average joe? is ridiculous

I am nearly 100 % sure those LED drivers are not inductive at all... And I am 100% with you when you say "how am I supposed to know as average Joe". I never, ever said in this topic that it is your fault... I suppose you are an honest person and did nothing wrong, you asked for advice and asked certified electricians to do the job? Then I don't see how they can blame you.

Again, I only post about the technical details because this forum is read by many people and I hope some like to understand why relays aren't simply "working" and have certain limitations.

Edited by petergebruers

I am nearly 100 % sure those LED drivers are not inductive at all.

tell that to the seller who created this thread who keeps nagging this to deny my warranty.

@Adrian Mare can you read what this guy is saying here???

you asked for advice and asked certified electricians to do the job? Then I don't see how they can blame you.

yes, a certificated electrician did this, the seller confirmed the installation was done correctly , but i must say the manual does not come with romanian instructions so is not the electrician's fault he couln't read all warnings, all he did was installing them according to the scheme .

They want me to send the relays to fibaro directly and pay for shipping costs which is ridiculous , i bought from them not fibaro and definitely not at producer's price . Unless they send them to fibaro for an expert analyze they are basically denying my warranty on speculation. We shall wait and see what the buyer protection says about this.

Edited by adrianu

I have LEDS as well behind my FGS 223's. But I take care to keep the consumed power as low as possible.

If you really need to put "high" wattage behind the switch, maybe look into ICP's (inrush current protection/ limiter) 

Please login or register to see this link.

Hope this sheds a light on your problem.

Jim

36 minutes ago, jimicr said:

I have LEDS as well behind my FGS 223's. But I take care to keep the consumed power as low as possible.

If you really need to put "high" wattage behind the switch, maybe look into ICP's (inrush current protection/ limiter) 

Please login or register to see this link.

Hope this sheds a light on your problem.

Jim

no circuit had more than 100 watts per channel and current fibaro double switches that were replaced with the same model are working fine for now

small update on my experience with fibaro. i moved 3 double switches to my heating floor system 

i was shocked to discover how they randomly fail to react at being turned on and off, i would say when turning 4 circuits on or off , 1 out of 5 times at least 1 circuit fails to get turned on or off or even more funny, sometimes it shows as off but in reality it gets turned on 

i can't believe how unreliable fibaro is, i redid all of these tests with aeotec dual switch and from 20-30 tries , not even once they failed.

i've read many are having problems with random fails .

i wont even bother sending them to warranty since the seller is a broke  moron who will just find  same excuses as for the burned ones.

i won't risk using them so that my heater gets turned on while all water circuits are blocked just because some  fibaro double crap doesn't react to my triggers.That's the reason i did so many tests and discovered this as using them with lights is harder to notice the problem.

can't believe how much money, time and energy i wasted because of these products, it took all the fun from enjoying my new automatized house

Edited by adrianu