Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

NodeID without DeviceID

tnesheim

Question

Hi

I have used the Zniffer to look at the z-wave radio traffic, and two devices with NodeID 15 and 18 are quite chatty.

I use a scene script and HC2 Toolkit to find the corresponding DeviceID...but there are no corresponding in the list.

How is that? 

Edited by tnesheim

16 answers to this question

2 hours ago, tnesheim said:

Hi

I have used the Zniffer to look at the z-wave radio traffic, and two devices with NodeID 15 and 18 are quote chatty.

I use a scene script and HC2 Toolkit to find the corresponding DeviceID...but there are no corresponding in the list.

How is that? 

Please login or register to see this code.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for your reply! Should I paste this code into a scene? Or do I need to modify first?

Edited by tnesheim

• Inquirer
  • I tried to set nodeID=18 or 15 and no output. I then tried to insert a nodeID where I know there is a corresponding deviceID and it reported lots of info.

So, I therefore think I have some kind of ghost device...it reports, I have a nodeID but no deviceID....

Edited by tnesheim
    • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tnesheim said:

I tried to set nodeID=18 or 15 and no output. I then tried to insert a nodeID where I know there is a corresponding deviceID and it reported lots of info.

So, I therefore think I have some kind of ghost device...it reports, I have a nodeID but no deviceID....

can you show me screen from ZF?

PS: you can record trace... btw

Edited by 10der

• Inquirer
  • Screen shot from Zniffer:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by tnesheim

ok, last chance

http://hc2/api/devices

ctrl (command) +F

nodeId: "18" <enter>

• Thanks 1

It is rare, but it is possible Node ID 18 is "gone" from the HC2 interface, but still part of your Z-Wave network. If you really don't find "18" in http://your_hc2_ip/api/devices then the only option is (1) connect Zniffer to a laptop and use RSSI signal strength to try to locate it (or at least get a idea of where it is...) (2) Turn of circuit breakers, one by one, to see which circuit it is on.

If you find it, exclude and include will fix it. Yes, "exclude" will work even though you cannot find it on your HC2 (any controller can exclude any device in any state at any time).

• Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • 10 hours ago, 10der said:

ok, last chance

http://hc2/api/devices

ctrl (command) +F

nodeId: "18" <enter>

Hi

No, the device is not there:-( 

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, petergebruers said:

It is rare, but it is possible Node ID 18 is "gone" from the HC2 interface, but still part of your Z-Wave network. If you really don't find "18" in http://your_hc2_ip/api/devices then the only option is (1) connect Zniffer to a laptop and use RSSI signal strength to try to locate it (or at least get a idea of where it is...) (2) Turn of circuit breakers, one by one, to see which circuit it is on.

If you find it, exclude and include will fix it. Yes, "exclude" will work even though you cannot find it on your HC2 (any controller can exclude any device in any state at any time).

Hi

I've submitted a request to Fibaro Support to see what they can do/suggest... I also remembered I have one Fibaro Multisensor in my z-wave-sparebox that might not be excluded, AND still have a battery! I will try to exclude this device first. If not, I'll do the hunt for the ghost device using zniffers signal strength  reading.

Anyway, this doing the exercises to quiet down the radio traffic and reduce CPU-loads are highly recommended. I have a noticable improvement on the scene response!. I therefore think my HC2 still should be able to do the job for many years to come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tnesheim said:

Anyway, this doing the exercises to quiet down the radio traffic and reduce CPU-loads are highly recommended. I have a noticable improvement on the scene response!

That is good news! Another happy user, thanks to Zniffer!

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, tnesheim said:

Hi

I've submitted a request to Fibaro Support to see what they can do/suggest... I also remembered I have one Fibaro Multisensor in my z-wave-sparebox that might not be excluded, AND still have a battery! I will try to exclude this device first. If not, I'll do the hunt for the ghost device using zniffers signal strength  reading.

Anyway, this doing the exercises to quiet down the radio traffic and reduce CPU-loads are highly recommended. I have a noticable improvement on the scene response!. I therefore think my HC2 still should be able to do the job for many years to come.

The ghost devices present in the Z-wave radio but not as a device in the HC2 GUI is most likely devices that have failed in the delete og exclude process. I found one Aeon Multisensor(NodeID 15) that I was able to exclude and one of the ghostdevices disappeared. Fibaro Support could however not help me...apparently not possible to do something with the z-wave database. But I also had a feeling that the operator did not quite understand the nature of the issue.

I can also se that I have a few other ghost devices as well, though not that chatty. The best would be to get rid of them but since there is no really efficient method but the elimination and/or signal strength search I´m not sure it´s worthwhile.

Edited by tnesheim

• Inquirer
  • My device with NodeID 18 is a mystery. To me it seems that there is a burst every 60s consisting of three Meter Reports and 4-5 Multilevel Sensor Reports. Also, my device with NodeID 15 used to be routed through 18. Therefore I think that this device must be a powered device capable of doing routing, and I would guess that no battery powered unit do Meter Reports?

So, could this ghost device be a device I can see in my HC2 GUI but(but lists the wrong NodeID) or a invisible device in the HC2 GUI but present in the Z-wave radio database only?

11 hours ago, tnesheim said:

My device with NodeID 18 is a mystery.

Sure, Z-Wave mysteries do exist and often they do not show up on your HC2 so Fibaro support cannot help you, that's why I started recommending Zniffer.

To me it seems that there is a burst every 60s consisting of three Meter Reports and 4-5 Multilevel Sensor Reports.

So it is mains device with "Power Reporting" eg a Wall Plug

Also, my device with NodeID 15 used to be routed through 18.

That is certainly possible and this means when you find node 18 and exclude and include, your node 15 will have one invalid route in its memory. That may not cause issues because it probably has an alternative, or can do "explorer" then cache that route (also called LWR = Last Working Route). But to clean that up I recommend a "mesh reconfigure" on node 15 after fixing node 18

I would guess that no battery powered unit do Meter Reports?

The Z-Wave spec does not require "meters" to be mains powered. But I cannot think of an example of a battery powered meter...

So, could this ghost device be a device I can see in my HC2 GUI but(but lists the wrong NodeID)

Maybe... but I doubt that. The part that translates "devices" (eg "123") on your HC2 to "nodes" that are stored on your controller chip (eg node ID) is not a Z-Wave standard, it is a piece of software written by Fibaro and it certainly stores data in your db.

It is possible ye did a "backup" then a "restore" at some point and it messed up that database.

BTW your case is not unique... This user also found a device with Zniffer that was no longer visible on his HC2.

• Inquirer
  • Back from vinter holidays.... I tried the elimination method...and I had no luck to "silence" the chatty devices. However, I noe remember that my neighbour is also doing home automation(with at Homey). I guess that the main controller always is Node 1....and my Zniffer would not make a difference between my or my neighbours controller? Any way to see the difference on the ACKs or similar?

Just now, tnesheim said:

I guess that the main controller always is Node 1....and my Zniffer would not make a difference between my or my neighbours controller? Any way to see the difference on the ACKs or similar?

O my god, I did not notice this, but it is very obvious when you know where to look... See column HomeID! Each network has a unique ID. I can see it on that log you have posted! Nioe one! So that is what you see!

• Inquirer
  • ? guess this thing could have driven me into insanity, so good thing going to the mountains refreshing the mind. Filtering the Zniffer on HomeID makes the radio traffic much more relaced...some lines every now and then, silence for 20s, some messages and so one. I can though see the result of my elimination approach cutting the power breakers...I probably need to do a mesh optimisation for some of the devices since I can see several indirect jumps that was not there before. Anyway, case closed. Thanks for the support!