Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Assign Scene to Room

robw

Question

Hi,

I know I'm old and have bad eyesight... :) But where can I assign a Scene to a Room in the HC3 UI?

Also, please Fibaro, let us use longer names for devices and scenes. 12 characters is really short. Example:

"Upstairs Living Room Ceiling Lamp"

"Downstairs Living Room Ceiling Lamp"

Sure, you can shorten lamps names to "Ceiling Lamp", but if you have 12 ceiling lamps it is a challenge to give them names... Names also that is usable with Siri, Alexa and Google home...

Edited by robw

7 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • 6 hours ago, cag014 said:

It has been rearranged, but it same as you had.

All scene gathering together by click on Scenes. Imagine that is your "System" room with all scenes.

In HC2 you can have scenes in Rooms, which was handy, because you could quickly click on Rooms instead to of scrolling through all the houses scenes. With scene names having a max of 12 characters, it makes it difficult to give a unique readable name in that long list of scenes that does not show where it belongs.

IMHO this is a major drawback.

On HC2 I used  UHAS, so, for instance, I have to Hue lamps in the bedroom, one ceiling lamp and a Hue Go. I set up the VSL (light) scene for those two lamps and assigned it the Upstairs Bedroom room. In that bedrom I also had light switches for the windows. Such light switches I also have in many other rooms on different house levels. For those I only had 1 scene so I put them in the "System" room.

Imagine now having the exact same setup of bedroom lights (a Ceiling Lamp and a Hue Go) in the Downstairs Bedroom, and Childrens Bedroom and Guest Bedroom. I can live without the assigning of Scenes to Rooms, but then I think you should be able to give names to Scenes (and everything else), that is at least 20 characters, so you  can for instance, put a location name before the scene, like "Upstairs Bedroom lights", "Upstairs Living room Cinema start" etc. In that when you scroll through the scene names, you can easily read where that scene is.

Also, you should be able to manually sort the scene order in the HC3 UI.

Hello @robw ,

I do not see option to assign a scene to a room in HC3 UI either.  I assume you mean HC3 not HC2, as you created topic in HC3 section. HC2 is probably just mistype.

It seems like there will not be longer something like "scenes assing to rooms" but only Category for scene, as possibility to filter scenes. I don't know what Fibaro intentions are.

For Google Home, Alexa usage, I have not tested yet, but probably you will have to assign Scenes to rooms manually in apps for Google Home or Alexa.

• Inquirer
  • 6 minutes ago, SmarterHOME said:

Hello @robw ,

I do not see option to assign a scene to a room in HC3 UI either.  I assume you mean HC3 not HC2, as you created topic in HC3 section. HC2 is probably just mistype.

It seems like there will not be longer something like "scenes assing to rooms" but only Category for scene, as possibility to filter scenes. I don't know what Fibaro intentions are.

For Google Home, Alexa usage, I have not tested yet, but probably you will have to assign Scenes to rooms manually in apps for Google Home or Alexa.

Hi, thank you, then I'm not totally blind :) Yes, it was a typo error from me, I meant HC3. Thank you for correcting me, I changed my post now.

Hopefully assigning scenes to rooms will come, because otherwise all scenes will be very difficult to name and find.

4 minutes ago, robw said:

Hi, thank you, then I'm not totally blind :) Yes, it was a typo error from me, I meant HC3. Thank you for correcting me, I changed my post now.

Hopefully assigning scenes to rooms will come, because otherwise all scenes will be very difficult to name and find.

and where do you sort scenes spanning more than one room? ;-) 

• Inquirer
  • 1 minute ago, jgab said:

and where do you sort scenes spanning more than one room? ;-) 

Those I usually put in a separate "System" room :) One could maybe call it a better name, like "House wide scenes" or something like that instead.

7 hours ago, robw said:

Those I usually put in a separate "System" room :) One could maybe call it a better name, like "House wide scenes" or something like that instead.

It has been rearranged, but it same as you had.

All scene gathering together by click on Scenes. Imagine that is your "System" room with all scenes.

Removing the assignment of scenes to rooms is a scandalous act by Fibaro engineers.
    I have had HCL for a year.
    A very important reason why I bought the Fibaro system was the simulation of the presence of people at home, i.e. intelligent switching on and off of the light in a large house.

My scenes look like this:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Scenes are assigned to six rooms.

Each room has seven different scenes for the seven days of the week

For this there is an additional room with scenes defining the variables.

This is another 10 scenes.

Can Gentlemen Engineers from Fibaro explain to me how to transfer these scenes to HC3 without being able to assign them to rooms?