Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Lamps connected in series

supersonic

Question

I have two T8 lamps connected in series in my garage. I have read that Fibaro Switch is not compatible with T8 lights, so I’m looking into replacing these either with LED or the entire lamp. But, can I still have two connected in series? Or is it not supported by Fibaro?

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, supersonic said:

I have two T8 lamps connected in series in my garage. I have read that Fibaro Switch is not compatible with T8 lights, so I’m looking into replacing these either with LED or the entire lamp. But, can I still have two connected in series? Or is it not supported by Fibaro?

Where did you read this?

I have three T8 fluorescent luminaires connected to a Fibaro switch in my garage.
And you probably mean that your T8 luminaires are connected in parallel. You cannot do this in series, regardless of relay.

• Inquirer
  • 6 minutes ago, RH_Dreambox said:

Where did you read this?

I have three T8 fluorescent luminaires connected to a Fibaro switch in my garage.
    And you probably mean that your T8 luminaires are connected in parallel. You cannot do this in series, regardless of relay.

I read this on this page in Norwegian: 

Please login or register to see this link.

It says that Fibaro Switch must not be used on fluorescent or other equipment with igniter. And never mulitple light sources to the same unit.

I think have two T8 connected in series in my garage, but I might be wrong. 

I use FGS-212 and according to the data sheet you can connect up to 10 fluorescent lamps (2x36W max 5A).
    In the data sheet for 213 I can see no warning for fluorescent lamps so I do not understand what the difference is.

With regard to series / parallel coupling, all lighting is connected in parallel. If you connect two lamps in series, they only get half the voltage 115V (Ohm's law) ?

• Inquirer
  • 6 minutes ago, RH_Dreambox said:

I use FGS-212 and according to the data sheet you can connect up to 10 fluorescent lamps (2x36W max 5A).
    In the data sheet for 213 I can see no warning for fluorescent lamps so I do not understand what the difference is.

With regard to series / parallel coupling, all lighting is connected in parallel. If you connect two lamps in series, they only get half the voltage 115V (Ohm's law) ?

That's good news for me ;-) I only use one switch for both, do you know if I can use Single Switch 2? (I already have this one) Or do I need the Double Switch? I haven't checked the spec for these yet, but they are "standard T8 lamps" with single tube