Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

warranty for fibaro double switch 2

adrianu

Question

Hello, i have bought from a store a lot of fibaro double swtiches 2  from which 2 of them got broken after 2-3 days. (melted down)

The seller refuses to exchange them for me for free invoking the reason that i used "wrong types of spot leds" that caused  an overload of high voltage when electricity gets turned on even tho one of the switches that got broken didin't used this type of spot leds.

Each circuit didin't had more than 100w load.

My questions are

1.Does fibaro double switch work fine with the type of spot leds that have an external adaptor to 24v ?

2.Is this a good reason to deny my warranty and ask me to fully pay for new ones ?Is this kind of usage against fibaro manual?

here is what kind of leds i`m talking about , leds that need an external power adapter 

Please login or register to see this image.

Edited by adrianu

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, adrianu said:

Does fibaro double switch work fine with the type of spot leds that have an external adaptor to 24v ?

Is this external adapter(LED driver)  dimmable? I mean by changing 0-220VAC input, the output changes also  0-24v?

If not, this is the reason for meltdown..

Yes, fibaro dimmer can support 100w load, but you must have dimmable (LED driver) power supply.

Edited by cag014

• Inquirer
  • 4 minutes ago, cag014 said:

Is this external adapter dimmable? I mean by changing 0-220VAC input, the output changes also  0-24v?

If not, this is the reason for meltdown..

Yes, fibaro dimmer can support 100w load, but you must have dimmable power supply.

i dont think that the adapter is dimable since the led itself is not dimable, is a simple adapter that connects to 230v to convert it to 24v for the spot led, most spot leds have this kind of external adapter is not uncommon.

why would this be a reason for meltdown and why another double relay who has been powering even more spots leds with the same adaptor has been fine for 3 weeks now that was installed at the same time with the faulty ones 

+ the second relay that has been installed with spot leds with no external adapter has also melted down 2-3 days after instalation and the same model relays that have been replacing the faulty ones now are still working fine.

Oops, sorry my mistake I though we're talking about dimmers. Ignore previous post.

Now, sometimes the inrush current is the problem for such a damage. I mean when you turn lights on the current is very high.

Please an old discussion on that

As you can see it has damage with 20W LED !!!!

By the way what double switch you have. model number like FGS212?

Edited by cag014

• Inquirer
  • FGS-223

ok but this still doesnt answer my question

is the seller obligated to exchange these products for free under warranty or not since they were correctly installed and i didint used heavily power hungry lights ?

Also changing the parameter of the relay to go off on power failure can prevent this kind of problem ?

Edited by adrianu

On 2/18/2020 at 12:52 AM, adrianu said:

is the seller obligated to exchange these products for free under warranty or not since they were correctly installed and i didint used heavily power hungry lights ?

Yes, I do believe seller needs to exchange the failure items. In addition you can open a ticket at fibaro support regarding warranty.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:52 AM, adrianu said:

Also changing the parameter of the relay to go off on power failure can prevent this kind of problem ?

No. It doesn't help.

Edited by cag014

• Inquirer
  • well i found why they burned now on some basic leds that you can find pretty much everywhere...because they have a bad quality and 0 protection against normal stuff that happen in electricity .

that's why my other 3 aeotec swhitces got no problem and and just fibaro double switches were affected so i'm going to get rid of them or at least move them where inductive load is not present before my new house burns down and replace them with aeotec dual switch . You don't find on google anything related with aeotec melding down where there are plenty of cases with fibaro.

Here is the answer from aeotec . 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by adrianu