Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HC3 - Couple of Migration & Best Practice Questions

dcspock

Question

Going through my 8 years of tears and joy with my HC2, I was wondering to get the opinion of other HC3 early adopters - so just a couple of random question that came up yesterday when planning the migration:

GlobalVariables in Scene Conditions/Declarations  

Is it possible to make use of GlobalVariables in the Scene Declarations? Like "only trigger if GlobalVar is 1". 

Example HC2: I used a VD to set the time of a GlobalVariable to something like "16:30" which in turn was used to trigger a Scene at the given time. Making use of @jgab's wonderful time trigger... How could we achive that?

Nice Debug

For a few years now I have used the below Debug function:

Please login or register to see this code.

That was always pretty nice and helpful to have different colors, also with the GlobalValue (or now GlobalVariable) I could switch debugging on/off globally.

Anyone has a new function that works already?

Working Motion Sensor Scene

Anyone got one working already?

HomeTable

Makes still sense, right? Looks a bit odd now, as the "Variables" panel shows the full content of the variable now, so the screen layout gets messe up :-)

Cheers!

7 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, dcspock said:

Going through my 8 years of tears and joy with my HC2, I was wondering to get the opinion of other HC3 early adopters - so just a couple of random question that came up yesterday when planning the migration:

Is it possible to make use of GlobalVariables in the Scene Declarations? Like "only trigger if GlobalVar is 1". 

Example HC2: I used a VD to set the time of a GlobalVariable to something like "16:30" which in turn was used to trigger a Scene at the given time. Making use of @jgab's wonderful time trigger... How could we achive that?

Hi,

I throw in, in short, some answers to your questions:

1. GlobalVariables - set time. You should be able to do that. Personally I'm looking into creating some Profiles for this purpose. @jgab have done a QuickApp to set time for different profiles.

2. Motion sensor. It does not yet work as it used to (yet). You can though trigger a light by motion sensor and set it to be active X amount of minutes, but then the light turns off even if you are in motion. This will be fixed though.

Edited by robw

1 hour ago, dcspock said:

Scenes has something called "conditions" where you can specify time triggers like "16:30" (

Please login or register to see this link.

)

Not as elegant as my Timer %% triggers though ;-) 

I believe we will soon see a lot of scheduler QuickApps or scenes that will make it easy/easier to do these kind of schedules...

Nice Debug

For a few years now I have used the below Debug function:

Please login or register to see this code.

That was always pretty nice and helpful to have different colors, also with the GlobalValue (or now GlobalVariable) I could switch debugging on/off globally.

Anyone has a new function that works already?

The log window doesn't support html tags - so no colors etc. 

I posted a simple and more elaborate debug/print function support

Please login or register to see this link.

Yes, in a Lua scene you can do

HomeTable

Makes still sense, right? Looks a bit odd now, as the "Variables" panel shows the full content of the variable now, so the screen layout gets messe up :-)

Hopefully they will fix the display/layout bug.

It still make sense if you code Lua scenes or quick apps

Cheers!

4 hours ago, robw said:

1. GlobalVariables - set time. You should be able to do that. Personally I'm looking into creating some Profiles for this purpose. @jgab have done a QuickApp to set time for different profiles.

My hack was more an example of a QuickApp UI - would need more work to be really useful

Profiles can be scheduled with block scenes too...

I'm wondering why they didn't provide something like the sprinkler/gardening UI to schedule profiles - or devices in general.

I guess you can create a sprinkler that controls a QuickApp that selects a profile - then you can use the sprinkler scheduler to turn on/off profiles (turning off a profile could revert to the previous I guess)....

21 minutes ago, jgab said:

Profiles can be scheduled with block scenes too...

I did miss that one! *LOL* Can I blame on that I'm old and have glasses? :) I do like your idea of a QuickApp for it, though. Then you can easily on your phone adjust, for instance, a Wakeup Profile time.

• Inquirer
  • 23 hours ago, jgab said:

Scenes has something called "conditions" where you can specify time triggers like "16:30" 

Yes but can we set a time trigger like "fibaro.getGlobalVariable("SaunaStartTime")"? :-) 

23 hours ago, jgab said:

The log window doesn't support html tags - so no colors etc. 

What a pitty... I guess we have to manage with fibaro.warning, debug, trace and error...

Thanks all for your replies...

1 minute ago, dcspock said:

Yes but can we set a time trigger like "fibaro.getGlobalVariable("SaunaStartTime")"? :-) 

No, you can't ( the conditions format is a hack that I do dislike...)

...this and other limitations is why we will see the need for scheduler scenes and QuickApps...

Made a QD that creates proxy QDs for devices residing on the HC2. Only supports binary switch and binary sensor at the moment (ex. wall plugs and motion sensors)

You install a scene on the HC2 and run a QD on the HC3 to create new QDs that acts as proxies.

The proxy QDs can be used as real devices and trigger block scenes or whatever.

This way one can share devices between the HC2 and the HC3 and code some HC3 scripts to start the migration..

If useful it would be possible to extend to more types (multilevel switches/sensors is next on the agenda to support dimmers and temps etc).

Disclaimer. it's the first version and it works for me (switch and sensor) but no guarantees.

If someone tries it out it would be nice to hear if it works for you too ;-)