Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Led Light Driver compatibility with Fibaro

Ronish

Question

Hi all,

I recently bought a dimmable LED light.

This is a 60W/42V light that comes with a push driver for 220V.

I want to dim it with Fibaro units either Fibaro Switch or Fibaro Dimmer.

I understand i have two options :

1. Replace the Driver with a 60W/42V Triac driver supported by Fibaro Dimmer 2 - Until this moment i couldn't find one. if some one can recommend something i will be glad... i think this is the best way to go. 

2. Use a Fibaro Switch to simulate a momentary switch a work with the Push driver : Short push - Toggle on/of , Long push - Dimming the light  - Still didn't find the way to do that.

Currently i use Fibaro Switch with a Momentry Switch on S1, I Set the Auto Off function to 0. now i can do on/off , i don't know how to do the Long Press in order to dim it.

Since most of dimmable  led lights (in this size)  today are sold with push drivers (at least in my location) it seems odd to me that there is no simple way to support it either with Fibaro Switch or Fibaro Dimmer, or i'm just missing something here (((-;

Any information / assistant in that matter will be much appreciated.

Roni s.

10 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Ronish said:

This is a 60W/42V light that comes with a push driver for 220V.

What do you mean by that. How you dim the light w/o fibaro devices?

Where is the dimmer, is it changes 220V or 42V?

As far as I know, by changing 220V led driver changes output 24-42V.  See below an example.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

• Inquirer
  • 5 hours ago, cag014 said:

What do you mean by that. How you dim the light w/o fibaro devices?

Where is the dimmer, is it changes 220V or 42V?

As far as I know, by changing 220V led driver changes output 24-42V.  See below an example.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Up to this moment this specific LED light i didn't find a way to DIM with Fibaro devices (-; this is what i'm trying to solve.

Push-Dim drivers comes integrated inside the light module itself, on the wall side you have only Regular push button (this is very common  / standard application). So the dimmer is located in the light module as part of the driver.

In my case i'm on 220V/AC net work and the Push-Dim driver output for the LED light it self is 42V/DC , 60W.

Fibaro Dimmer 2 is a Triac Phase-Cut dimmer , meaning the dimmer is on the wall side and the Triac compatible driver (Phase-Cut)  is on the light module side.

This is why Fibaro Dimmer 2 is not suitable here unless i replace the Push-Dim driver or find a way to use a Fibarto Switch as a Push button with my current Push-Dim driver.

The driver in your picture is 40W driver , i need 60W. I'm not sure from the picture if it is Triac Phase-Cut that will work OK with Fibaro Dimmer 2.

if it works for you please tell, maybe i can find one for 60W and replace my Push-Dim driver.

Thanks.

Ron s.

4 hours ago, Ronish said:

In my case i'm on 220V/AC net work and the Push-Dim driver output for the LED light it self is 42V/DC , 60W.

So, what you say,is that the dimmer is in side LED light module, right? How Regular push button  is connected in order to dim the light?

Could you post schematic how exactly it is connected? You can draw schematic by pen and take a snapshot to post here.

• Inquirer
  • 20 hours ago, cag014 said:

So, what you say,is that the dimmer is in side LED light module, right? How Regular push button  is connected in order to dim the light?

Could you post schematic how exactly it is connected? You can draw schematic by pen and take a snapshot to post here.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_02/image.png.c2540cdef587d08102e688d0da3b0404.png" />

Standard push-dim driver scheme.  my specific light unit use a driver that outputs 48V/DC with 60W power (Short button push on/off, Long push - Dim)

So far i couldn't find a Triac phase-cut replacement driver with this spec so i can use the Fibaro Dimmer 2.  

OK, interesting what digital means?  I believe it 220V with variable duty cycle, exactly the same as fibaro dimmer.

Did you try to connect fibaro dimmer directly instead of Push-dim wall switch?

I think it should work.

By the way you said this is LED light, but there is Ballast (for florescent lights). May be the top connection is for ballast only and you can remove the connection.

Edited by cag014

• Inquirer
  • This is indeed a LED light , no mistake about it.

Ballast Meaning "Driver" forgive me for my Diagram typo....

Digital means : Short pulse toggle on/off long pulse Dim's

Fibaro Dimmer 2 won't work with this kind of Driver (i tried it and it is also documented) . Fibaro Dimmer works with Triac compatible Phase-Cut driver , in this case the Fibaro Dimmer fully controls the Dimming from the wall side the Driver only transform the

Power from 220V/AC to 48V/DC with the control limit of the Fibaro Dimmer.

In push Dim-Driver there is nothing but a simple Push-Button on the wall side Power and Dimming is done on the Light side by the Push-Dim Driver.

i can replace the driver with one that is compatible to Fibaro Dimmer 2 this will solve the problem - the thing is no body is willing to sell me Triac Phase-Cut driver for 48V/DC , 60W. can't find one.

this bring me to the solution of using Fibaro Switch in order to simulate the action of a Push-Button with short press and long press. this one i harder then i thought.

Roni s.

• Inquirer
  • Ok,

to sum up the problem using the push-dim driver with Fibaro Switch.

When you connect Momentary Switch to S1 and define it as such (parameter 20) even short press on it won't create short enough pulse for the driver and it will be recognized as dimming action  not toggle on/off.

So you can only Dim but can't toggle on/off.

In order to enable toggle on/off you need to turn on Auto off function with time set to 0. this will create a very short pulse when you press and toggle on/off will work but in this case you you don't have the ability to long press so you

can't Dim.

So you can either Toggle on/off with one set off parameters or Dim with another one but you can't do both !

So i came up with this double switch solution.

This is the solution diagram:

Please login or register to see this link.

Both S1 & S2 Momentary Switch and Parameter 20 (Switch Type) defined accordingly.

On/Off : S1 set with Auto off function , Time parameter set to 0 - To create very fast Click (Short Pulse)

Dim : S2 set to Normal - Press and Hold behavior - To create Long press (Long Pulse)

This is quite a complex and more expansive solution to an issue that i think can easily solved by Fibaro with a simple SW update to the Fibaro Switch, that will enable integrated out off the box

support for push-dim drivers which are very common.

I hope someone form Fibaro support will pick this up and solve this.

if anyone have other ideas regarding this issue will be glad if you share.

Roni s.

• Like 1

At the end it works... somehow... great solution.

thank you a lot.. But i got a problem when i try to use the switches i get communication error. Any suggestions?

Edited by koutkalakis

Well done