Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

User access management: new devices

knuth

Question

Whenever I write a new scene or include a new device, it seems that I need to manually update the access control for each user. When I initially set up the users (Configuration -> Access control -> Edit user -> Devices -> Edit access rights) I checked the box for each room. This gives a check mark on all devices in that room at that time, but does not include new devices added to the room at a later date. 

Is there a way to guarantee that a user's access to all devices in a room are maintained when new devices (or scenes) are added? 

4 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • I take the lack of response to my question to indicate that the correct answer is “no, there is no way to give a user access to all devices in a room, including new devices added later”. I will keep editing user access one by one every time I add a device. Very inefficient, but seemingly necessary. 

I use the HC3, so maybe a bit different, but also there you have to add a new scene. 

I don't have that many scenes, so no problem. Also I don't give access to all scenes, only those who are really useful from the Mobile Device. 

With the API for the HC3 you can maintain users, maybe also on the HC2. 

• Inquirer
  • Yes, I can maintain users on the UI for the HC2. I would have liked, however, to be able to grant user access to "everything allocated to a room", even when later devices and scenes are added to that room. My main problem is not with the scenes, but with the occasional new device number (new device or reconfigured old one). To keep the system up-dated, I then have to manually give access to the new numbers for each user in the family. 

I can live with that, but it is an inconvenience which could have been eliminated.

It sounds logical to me, give all also future scenes of a room to a existing user. 

From a security point of view, I also understand that adding a new autorisation should be a conscious choice, not automaticaly. 

And I try to limit the amount of scenes and devices on the mobile. I don’t need them all mobile, some of them just do their work, I don’t have to use them mobile. Less scenes and devices makes the (a bit crappy) mobile app a bit more useable. 

But, he, I am not Fibaro. Its only my (two) opinions. 

BTW I try to recycle my devices and scenes. I don’t delete them, I change them, use them for testing or future use. Especially for testing verry handy to have several types devices or scenes ready to use, not having to add one.