Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Can I update Aeotec devices with the Z stick as a secondary controller

RohitNz

Question

I have a number of Aeotec devices in the system.  And its a pain to remove them from the HC, enroll to Z-Stick, update them and then re-enroll back to the HC.  Plus there is the additional pain of device id changes in the scenes.

It seems that I am able to enroll the Z-stick as a secondary controller (I havent tried yet).  If I do, am I able to update the firmware on the Aeotec devices ?

Edited by RohitNz
spelling

3 answers to this question

yes, this does work generally speaking. Some Aeotec devices do a factory reset after update, so they will be then not available on HC as well, you need to test with your specific device.

Below example (Aeotec Range Externder) of such update, which worked with separate z-wave stickk added prevously as secondary Controller to HC2, where however the device losed Home ID and not available anymore after update (and need to be excluded and re-included again):

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, tinman said:

however the device losed Home ID and not available anymore after update (and need to be excluded and re-included again)

AFAIK same happens if you update MS6, iirc last time I tried was update to fw 1.11 and behaviour is mentioned in the release notes. So you might as well exclude MS6 from HC, include MS6 on jour other network(stick), update fw, add back to HC...

• Like 1

right, that's exact my point, with some devices that extra step is necessary by design, with others one can save some/lot of time with z-wave stick as secondary.