Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

IFTTT problem

Guest todor1967

Question

Guest todor1967

Hello, why is there a problem when using the IFTTT platform? The list of scenes and devices comes out very slowly. Even after the list comes out, the scene cannot be saved, or if it is still recorded, it does not work. What is happening?

15 answers to this question

Guest todor1967
  • Inquirer
  • I have HC2 and by the end of April, everything was OK. Then it doesn't work. I wrote to the support, but they did not respond. It sucks. I was thinking of buying HC3, but I think I'll wait because I don't read good reviews.

I have same problem with my HCL.

It's very slow to load scene lists. 

And very often it doesn't work, in the activity logs I get the message: 
    "Trigger failed: The FIBARO service or its API may temporarily be down"

guys really, what do you expect from Cloud to Cloud solution? There i "whole internet" between IFTTT request source -> IFTTT Server, IFTTT Server -> Fibaro Server, Fibaro Server -> your Home .. and of course back.

Fibaro is hosting their services at greywizard.com, when i tested the download speed (i have 10 GBit link, and not capped when i test it with some pr0n and warez servers) i got only 40-50MBit, so definitely the connectivity to/from greywizard ISP is slow (btw, since few days). Having slow connectivity, some Fibaro / C2C Services will timeout.

Don't blame Fibaro for that, I think, as soon Covid-19 is gone, and ISPs stopps capping the speed, the situation will be better.

Edited by tinman

Guest todor1967
  • Inquirer
  • Yes, maybe Covid-19 is to blame for the delay. I use other IFTTT services and there is no problem. Only Fibaro has a problem. Maybe the problem is greywizard.com. However, I am only one user who wants to use the services that are offered without any problems. Not to mention that in HC3 IFTTT is advertised as part of the system. We will wait. I like the Fibaro system and I want it to evolve.

Yes, no problem with other services either. Only Fibaro is slow. 

Let's hope it's only passenger

On 5/12/2020 at 12:35 PM, tinman said:

guys really, what do you expect from Cloud to Cloud solution? There i "whole internet" between IFTTT request source -> IFTTT Server, IFTTT Server -> Fibaro Server, Fibaro Server -> your Home .. and of course back.

Fibaro is hosting their services at greywizard.com, when i tested the download speed (i have 10 GBit link, and not capped when i test it with some pr0n and warez servers) i got only 40-50MBit, so definitely the connectivity to/from greywizard ISP is slow (btw, since few days). Having slow connectivity, some Fibaro / C2C Services will timeout.

Don't blame Fibaro for that, I think, as soon Covid-19 is gone, and ISPs stopps capping the speed, the situation will be better.

@tinman ,

Sorry, but actually I don't care about greywizard.com, ISP's capping speed, 10Gb links and al kinds of other stuff that could be an 'explanation' why something does not work as advertised.  I can only see that I have more than 30 IFTTT applets in which all kinds of other services are involved and they DO work, covid or not. Just Fibaro, again does not deliver on his promises. Tinman, it's not because it's not important for YOU that it can't be important to others. Sure as a 'poweruser' you can make some very clever workaround with HTTP, get, Post, Api, json and whatever nice other terms your hobby has. I don't know what these terms mean and I do not want to know. I just want what I paid for to work. It's as simple as that.

Edited by wienog

I only use IFTTT in combination with Fibaro for leaving and entering a geo zone, and that works (for a long time already). 

On 8/1/2020 at 3:17 PM, wienog said:

@tinman ,

Sorry, but actually I don't care about greywizard.com, ISP's capping speed, 10Gb links and al kinds of other stuff that could be an 'explanation' why something does not work as advertised.  I can only see that I have more than 30 IFTTT applets in which all kinds of other services are involved and they DO work, covid or not. Just Fibaro, again does not deliver on his promises. Tinman, it's not because it's not important for YOU that it can't be important to others. Sure as a 'poweruser' you can make some very clever workaround with HTTP, get, Post, Api, json and whatever nice other terms your hobby has. I don't know what these terms mean and I do not want to know. I just want what I paid for to work. It's as simple as that.

I'm fine with that. Especially since Fibaro announces in its communication the advantage of the connection with IFTTT

It hasn't gotten better since then, and I doubt it's still because of COVID. 

I remain disappointed by Fibaro

Hi,
    I need to use the HC3 IFTTT service in conjunction with Google Calendar. And I can tell it works for a minute exactly. I don't notice any delays. I use it for unimportant services / scenes because I'm convinced that what's at home feels .. and I don't want to be dependent on any clouds.

6 hours ago, Nicfur said:

the advantage of the connection with IFTTT

well, coud based services are never advantage from technical point of view, they only advantage in "easy interconnectivity from user point of view"

It hasn't gotten better since then, and I doubt it's still because of COVID. 

see below, it must be your local problem

sorry, but since some time the greywizard ISP seems to not cap anymore the link,  between germany and poland i have all the time at least Gbit speed (single thread,  to Fibaro cloud server ISP and Fibaro servers). 

If you buy Ferrari, don't blame them if you can't drive fast in Belgium :) 

@tinman

Come on , Tinman, you know better than that. IFTTT doesn't work with HC3. Full Stop.

If anybody wants to be dependent of the cloud is his or her choice and, frankly, if it "helps interconnectivity" as you say in your post, that's all I want and ask for (and was promised, by the way).

There is absolutely nothing 'local' as a reason for IFTTT not working or it should be global because read the posts here and onther forums: there is no country in the world where IFTTT work together flaxlessly.

I understand hat you are a big fan of HC3, I am too. It's a great machine, e big enhancement to teh HC2.

But acknowledging it's problems will enhance your credibility.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, wienog said:

Come on , Tinman, you know better than that. IFTTT doesn't work with HC3. Full Stop.

honestly because it's you, i installed IFTTT app (i don't use it normally), and ran some tests now. It tooks me something like 138 timeouts and 46 unknown error messages (IFTTT is not really debug friendly), but finally it got saved and works - each every few times. Clearly, timeouts reading devices, timeouts reading gateways, timeouts while saving and re-selecting ...  once selected things not available, then available again.

Honestly no difference between HC2, HCL or HC3, same experience as described above.

If anybody wants to be dependent of the cloud is his or her choice

definitely! i don't want to stop ppl from using it, the dependency on so many factors need to be clear however.

I understand hat you are a big fan of HC3, I am too.

i'm big fan of girls, drugs, cars, did i said girls already? Sure, i like technology, and HC3 is really nice tool ... but i don't see in my test any HC3 related problem (and you trying to say that, while to topic is "IFTTT Problem" and the reported results from other users are mixed).

But acknowledging it's problems 

still, i don't see any HC3 related problem,  i got same bad results with HC2 and HCL.  Lucky me having multiple Fibaro ID accounts and few gateways to test.

If there is any problem on Fibaro side ot the story (no idea - they can check logs, i can't -> i can only measure the link speed - and it is better since days, while as the timeout problem with IFTTT started the link to Poland got really slow, i know it because we tested some implementations in our office with XXX and Fibaro, and things stopped to work or got delayed right after some ISPs told "we need to cap connection speed"), then Fibaro need to check if the way the data is being synched with IFTTT can be optimized (Abode, which is part of Nice group is using it as well, how is the experience there? can be something done better?).

will enhance your credibility.

no worries, my credibility is incontestable, it's like fundamental physical constant.

• Like 1

@tinman

Nice reply  And what's more, I agree with most of it.

Let me rephrase my statement: IFTTT doesn't work with Fibaro. Full Stop. You are right it's not worse than the HC2 (don't know about the HCL, never owned one).

And , yes, as I said in an earlier post, of course there will be 'explanations( for that failure to function (being friendly and not using the word 'excuses' here).

But these 'explanations' don't 'explain' why many many other services DO work flawlessly, every time, every day for years sometimes now already. When I forgot to switch off my heating and keft the house IFTTT will do that for me, automatically.Would I prefer that HC3 did that ? Yes, I would. But sadly it can't. Or better, once in two or three months it will work. I'm repeating myself but that was not what I was promised.

I'm into drones also. I attach the FIRST picture of my hometown I made on my FIRST flight with my new drone, half an hour after the batteries were charged for the first time.

Ok, I'm not. new to drones but I'm not new to domotics either.

If my new drone would have performed as my new HC3 I would now still be trying to find out how to make it fly and how to steer it. I would probably being busy reading the drone-forums to find out how to make a picture and where the settings were. And I would be looking for a 'workaround' to stop it from flying backwards all the time...

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Hello, everyone,

I'm sorry, but IFTTT works very well at home with other services (Netatmo for example). It's clearly a Fibaro problem, it's not a Ferrari problem.

It's almost impossible to configure a scenario in ifttt because there are so many timeouts, or disconnections with Fibaro.

And if by chance the scenario is well configured, it will almost never excel because of the same connection problems. 

It's a bit daring from Fibaro, when you see it's highlighted on the HC3 presentation. As a company providing a service, I find it important that the quality is professional, and this is not the case. We are being sold a service that is not run on an amateur basis.

Especially since I use IFTTT because Fibaro doesn't develop its applications enough (locating smartphones via the app consumes too much hardware, it's unusable, so we have to use ifttt) or the plugins (like the one for Netatmo for example) are not developed enough.

And yes I'm disappointed for the moment:
    - the underinvestment in app and plugin development.
    - the almost non-existent management of ifttt
    - recently my push notifications have been coming in at random. 
    Anyway, while I used to love the Fibaro solution, I'm starting to have strong doubts.