Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Controlling heating panel

knuth

Question

I am trying to get my head around the use of Heating Panels in HC2. I am still a little confused, and need your help. Below, based on some testing, are some statements that I believe to be factual, but they may not be. Please confirm or correct any of them. My main concern is the lack of a way to override zone control of individual thermostats, see three statements in italics

For your reference, I have 13 HeatIt Z-trm2 thermostats, divided into three zones. When referring to apps, I mean the iPhone versions.

General

There are three modes: Schedule, Holiday, and Manual:

·         Schedule mode sets a fixed cycle per zone, based on time of day and day of week

·         Holiday mode sets a fixed temperature per zone, no time limit

·         Manual mode is not really “manual”, but a time-limited override of the time schedule (or of holiday mode) for an entire zone

There is no way to control an individual thermostat manually if it has been included in a zone on the heating panel, regardless of the current mode for the zone. To allow individual adjustments, the thermostat needs to be excluded from the zone. The heating panel may not be deactivated without removing all zones and thermostats.

Using the web interface

Choosing Panel – Heating panel – Manage, the interface allows all operations: set or change holiday mode, define manual mode including set point and duration, define calendar and temperatures for schedule mode. Also used to define zones, and to include/exclude thermostats from these zones.

If an individual thermostat device is adjusted while it is included in a heating panel zone, the thermostat responds, but returns to its mode set-point after “some time”.

Using the wall-mounted thermostat display

Local adjustments of an individual thermostat are reset to the mode value (same as for individual adjustments using the web interface)

Using the old app

Mode may be changed to “manual”, to “holiday”, and to “schedule” (by choosing “turn off”). Holiday and manual mode temperature may be set or changed. The schedule times and temperatures may not be adjusted. Individual thermostat set-points may be adjusted, but are reset to the mode value.

Using the new app

Holiday mode temperature may be read, but not changed. Mode may seemingly be changed to “back to schedule” or “manual”, but the latter is not available starting from holiday mode.  The schedule may not be adjusted.

When modes have changed using other apps or the web interface, the new app does not immediately update its list of modes per zone. Individual thermostat set-points are visible, but may not be changed (regardless of the use of heating panel).

3 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • There has been no response to the above summary, which may either indicate that it is accurate or that the topic is not seen as interesting.  I raise the question once again, now that the heating season is getting closer. Any comments from anyone? Any suggestions on how to get around the weaknesses of heating panels?

I dont really understand what you whant to achieve.

But what you have writen seam to be right. 

I control my house with Fibaro climate, i also use Heatit Z-trm2 for the electric floor . And Heatit z-water for the rest. 

I use schema for all the rooms, and only use manual mode when i whant to change the temp for a short amount of time.

• Inquirer
  • 6 hours ago, Jonas bergkvist said:

But what you have writen seam to be right.

That is really my key question. Only by understanding how heating panels work, can I use them appropriately. 

I have tried, for instance, to override the heating panel set point for a single thermostat - only to realize that my setting is quickly reset to the panel value. I also set the whole panel to manual, expecting this to allow manual adjustment of individual thermostats, which is not the case. 

Why do I want to do this? An example: All bedrooms are in the same zone. If I want to keep one or two of them colder or warmer for a while, that can't be done without removing them from the zone. Since my house is a vacation house, there are cases where only one bedroom is used for a weekend, while the whole house is vacant during the week.  

In my view, the heating panel functionality lacks some flexibility. But it is good to know that I have arrived at a correct description of this function. Thanks!