Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Broken HC2, upgrade to HC3 or buy a new HC2

storskogen

Question

I have searched the forum and can´t figure out what will not work HC3 that works on HC2?

*HC2 LUA and VD will not work on HC3? but are there any more drawbacks with switching platform? or should i keep my cash and switch to an OpenSource alternative (I already have an USB Z-wave stick) for now and maybe buy a HC3 in the future?

It seems like the HC3 is the new HC2 v1 fw i started with, many promises but in reality bugs and "not yet working..."

5 answers to this question

hi @storskogen,

that's not easy to answer generally as there are many unknown aspects for the community.

I would decide on something like this:

1. Is your home not functional and you need it up and running as fast as possible?
    a) Buy a HC2 and use a backup to start of were you have been before
    b) or try to fix the HC2, make sure it's nothing simple broken like the USB stick or the power adapter
  2. Is your partner mad at you and you have to sleep on the couch?
    a) Buy a HC2 (maybe used one here in the forum) and get it up and running asap.
    b) Or enjoy your nights on the couch watching netflix (and reprogramming stuff for your new HC3)
  3. You can live without the smarthome functions for some weeks?
    a) get a HC3 and start tinkering again
    b) Or think about it, if you need on at all

No matter what way you choose as long as it has to do with smarthome it will not run out-of-the-box. It will need attention from time to time.

It will break from time to time.

I'm still on my first HC2, will be looking into option 3 if it fails.

BR - kro

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 15 minutes ago, kroeatschge said:

hi @storskogen,

that's not easy to answer generally as there are many unknown aspects for the community.

I would decide on something like this:

1. Is your home not functional and you need it up and running as fast as possible?
      a) Buy a HC2 and use a backup to start of were you have been before
      b) or try to fix the HC2, make sure it's nothing simple broken like the USB stick or the power adapter
    2. Is your partner mad at you and you have to sleep on the couch?
      a) Buy a HC2 (maybe used one here in the forum) and get it up and running asap.
      b) Or enjoy your nights on the couch watching netflix (and reprogramming stuff for your new HC3)
    3. You can live without the smarthome functions for some weeks?
      a) get a HC3 and start tinkering again
      b) Or think about it, if you need on at all

No matter what way you choose as long as it has to do with smarthome it will not run out-of-the-box. It will need attention from time to time.

It will break from time to time.

I'm still on my first HC2, will be looking into option 3 if it fails.

BR - kro

Im a little afraid that the opensource alternativ will take a long time to setup and will not be wife-friendly in the beginning ? and im also afraid that Fibaro will ditch the HC2 and replace it with HC3 so maybe it's time to go for the HC3.

I only have Fibaro switches from 2012 and newer and all of them are supported in HC3, right?

The LUA will be a problem but most of them I can live without for a while.

I actually also have another option, the DSC iotega (cheaper but will come with a monthly cost)

The thing is there isn't a zero-bug-worry-free homeautomation solution.

Probably there will never be.

I would first try to get your HC2 up and running again. If I got it right in your other thread, only the USB stick is broken.

I truly belive the stick doesn't even have a function in HC2 anymore.

What version is your HC2 and whats the issue? Because if its booting without USB stick you should be fine to get it up and running if nothing else is wrong.

3 hours ago, kroeatschge said:

I truly belive the stick doesn't even have a function in HC2 anymore.

I am 100% sure it has no function. To be more precise, since FW 4.5XX it is not used at all. A broken stick can prevent HC2 from booting.

3 hours ago, storskogen said:

Fibaro will ditch the HC2 and replace it with HC3 so maybe it's time to go for the HC3.

It is still for sale and Fibaro posted on this forum it will get updates for at least 2 years. That said, some "new" stuff will only be implemented on HC3. Since the announcement of HC3, Fibaro has kept that promise, HC2 got bug fixes and new device support.

• Inquirer
  • I choose to switch to a new HC3. My only problem now is that it seems like I can´t migrate my HC2 cloudbackup to my new HC3 ?