Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Features postponed after 2020

jwi

Question

On Friday I ordered an HC3. More out of curiosity. Yesterday I read that

Fibaro postponed some features until 2021.
It is about this:
▪ ZigBee devices support
▪ Bluetooth Low Energy devices support
▪ Energy management panel
▪ Temperature charts panel
▪ Energy consumption charts panel
▪ Gateway connection with Home Center 2 / Lite

Since I have known Fibaro for years, I am not surprised, but if I had known that on Friday, I would not have ordered it.

15 hours ago, akatar said:

I agree on most of youre parts,

A big problem is that there is no money to make for coders.

If you look at homeseer (yeah yeah again) there is a market for buying plugins and a lot of people buying them.

So the things i miss with fibaro:

(good) plugins / marketplace where people can sell/buy them

An open way to create your own touchscreen, i hate the "daddy knows best mentality

i want to decide what's on my screen

This is also the reason i only use hc3 for a couple of zwave devices and for the rest... it;s homeseer

So the question is if the ability to charge for QAs/Scenes alone will attract good developers (and thus great QAs/Scenes) or if it's something more lacking in the Fibaro platform?

A typical model in open source is that the code is free but you charge for support - that could be a model here too as many people need help to adopt the scenes/QAs to their specific conditions.

I am responsible for this product at Fibaro, I am sorry that you are disappointed, unfortunately, due to the current conditions, we are not able to provide all the functionality this year. I was behind that newsletter for partners because it better know than wait for something we won't work on in the near future. Which of these functionalities was/is most important to you?

14 minutes ago, A.Socha said:

I am responsible for this product at Fibaro, I am sorry that you are disappointed, unfortunately, due to the current conditions, we are not able to provide all the functionality this year. I was behind that newsletter for partners because it better know than wait for something we won't work on in the near future. Which of these functionalities was/is most important to you?

We are some that are still waiting for the hc2 to deliver as promished. 

Important for me?

1) Solve the random lagging.

2) Add templates for devices from other manufacturers (I have send you several templates over the years).

3) Adding support for modern cameras using other containers than MPEG.

4) Adding support for Samsung TVs made after 2012.

and then

5) Adding native voice communication like Siri.

6) Adding support for firmware update of devices not made by Fibaro.

7) Adding native TTS.

9 minutes ago, Thomasn said:

2) Add templates for devices from other manufacturers (I have send you several templates over the years).

3) Adding support for modern cameras using other containers than MPEG.

4) Adding support for Samsung TVs made after 2012.

and then

5) Adding native voice communication like Siri.

6) Adding support for firmware update of devices not made by Fibaro.

7) Adding native TTS.

And finally when HC3 will bring me coffee to my bed at the morning?!

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, A.Socha said:

.... Which of these functionalities was/is most important to you?

May we all give our whishes now ? ?

@A.Socha 1st of thank you so much what you here and answering and helping to using HC3 
another question or proposal, can we help Fibaro devs in development?! No I can’t working a full time as volunteer cuz I am FinTech / banking developer, but may be I can for example sign NDA and can help in some backend (yes I am backend developer with some good skills in front end like react/angular) task here?! Clearing understanding Polska can read / write and can slowly speak in Polska :( 

with BR,

O.

Edited by 10der
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, 10der said:

And finally when HC3 will bring me coffee to my bed at the morning?!

I do not know about coffee but a pint of lager would be nice. ? 

• Thanks 1

If i have a wish right now is having the possibility to use my seconde HC3 because for now it's still off as no master/slave functionnality has not been yet implemented and i was not aware aof that before i've tryed to connect them and see the message UNSUPPORTED FUNCTION ? 

@A.Socha

what about to have possibility to setup some priority for part of your backlog via voting in this forum (2-5 things)

For me ie.:

1. support UDP in QAs

2. same design of right panel and preview (QA) in different browsers

3. support of QAs in Android/Apple devices incl. buttons/sliders/...

4. IP cameras with other protocols

Edited by petrkl12
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@A.Socha  Reading your response, i feel the need to response.

I'm a Fibaro HC3 owner for 1 month now. I'm new in home automation. I cannot say i'm really disappointed in the device but i'm a starter so my needs my be less demanding than the more experiences users. What i do find disappointing is the lack of low level entry documents and use cases. To me it appears that the Fibaro Corporate Communication is somewhere else in the Fibaro building as the developers team who develop code and write manuals. The product is promising and i think has a lot of potential. But the learning curve for first time users is steep, very steep. I would expect a series of uses uses in which the basic automations are shown including good block code or good documented LUA examples. Everybody wants to automate their lights, machines, heating, door, curtains etc. I think i have read al the users manuals, faqs and knowledge base items but this is not really sufficient if you want more than turn your light on when you enter the room.  I found programming in block code promising when i bought the device, but to be honest i expected a lot more possibilities in block code. For me that was the reason sto start programming in LUA, although i'm not a programmer. And when you look at the examples in the LUA manual, you just can't even program that in block code!

That pops up the question: for who is this device developed? `I thinks its just to complex to program for the average user if your not a programmer. I think the basis is ok, but you need to do more to guide the user into more complex scenes which are build upon multiple devices, how to use the system also as an alarm etctetc.

What do i miss: a good support for other non fibaro devices: other camera's, a good sirene/doorbell, support for devices which are being programmed by other uses on the forum (sonos, TTS, door openers like NUKI, doorbels like Ring, more advanced lighting control scenes etc.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, okidoki said:

doorbels like Ring

Btw, my implementation via unofficial Ring API works like a charm, but if Fibaro wants “true implementation” Fibaro should be a Ring partner otherwise a native integration with ring doesn’t work properly cuz ring api closed for developers.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2020_06/image.png.deec8d1bb4fa46d0eeaa57f0cfdc0f8c.png" />

Motion snapshots scene image.png.cd63b47e816ea605b9586f0f1285aef1.png

• Inquirer
  • 12 hours ago, A.Socha said:

I was behind that newsletter for partners because it better know than wait for something we won't work on in the near future.

@A.Socha Thank you, of course I think it's good if you tell in time what will be delayed.
    Other users will also be disappointed by the delay. But it is as it is.
    That the current firmware is not entirely free of errors, and still needs some updates (it was exactly the same with HC2, and now it runs well)

is not so tragic. Software development just takes time. I can live with that.

12 hours ago, A.Socha said:

Which of these functionalities was/is most important to you?

The first two points, ZigBee and Bluetooth, would have interested me the most and certainly also for other users.

My HC 2 has been running stable for months, so I could have waited to buy the HC3, but as I wrote, it was curiosity.

Edited by jwi
    • Like 1

If the use of HC3 as gateway to HC2 was possible, then I would buy a HC3 and had used al features of HC3 of interest moving scenes and VD's one by one from HC2 to HC3.

This will function comfortable if you had the possibility to move devices from HC2 to HC3 one by one without exclude/include.

13 hours ago, A.Socha said:

For me:

▪ Better HUE support (comes with ZigBee below, perhaps).

▪ ZigBee devices support

As for guides, I'd like to see more full real-world working code and block examples for solving common home automation tasks. That will help beginners in home automation, and grow the community, and in the end giving better support to many people.

• Inquirer
  • 14 minutes ago, Rover said:

This will function comfortable if you had the possibility to move devices from HC2 to HC3 one by one without exclude/include.

I think that will never be possible because each gateway, HC2 and HC3 has a different HomeID.
    The HomeID ist stored in every device and have to be changed to the HomeID of the HC3.

Edited by jwi

@jwi

Why is it possible now to migrate all devices from HC2 to HC3 and would it not possible to migrate one or a group of devices?

• Inquirer
  • 5 minutes ago, Rover said:

@jwi

Why is it possible now to migrate all devices from HC2 to HC3 and would it not possible to migrate one or a group of devices?

Because the HC3 takes over the HomeID of the HC2. This is implemented in the ZWave protocol.

@jwi

So if there should be a gateway function from HC3 to HC2 and all devices are in the HC2, it is possible to use scenes and QA's in the HC3?

Later on you could migrate all devices from HC2 to HC3?

12 godzin temu, Tony270570 napisał:

If i have a wish right now is having the possibility to use my seconde HC3 because for now it's still off as no master/slave functionnality has not been yet implemented and i was not aware aof that before i've tryed to connect them and see the message UNSUPPORTED FUNCTION ? 

We will made (finish) connecting Hc3 with Hc3 in this year, we are saying about hc3 with Hc2/HCL is postponed

11 godzin temu, petrkl12 napisał:

@A.Socha

what about to have possibility to setup some priority for part of your backlog via voting in this forum (2-5 things)

For me ie.:

1. support UDP in QAs

2. same design of right panel and preview (QA) in different browsers

3. support of QAs in Android/Apple devices incl. buttons/sliders/...

4. IP cameras with other protocols

ad 1 is on our roadmap

ad 2 not understood, it work now  I tested on safari, chrome, firefox

ad 3 it is on roadmap  in this year

ad 4 that too is on our roadmap

@okidoki have you seen manual?

Please login or register to see this link.

41 minut temu, Rover napisał:

If the use of HC3 as gateway to HC2 was possible, then I would buy a HC3 and had used al features of HC3 of interest moving scenes and VD's one by one from HC2 to HC3.

Using z-wave tool to adding as slave another gateway and migrate status master to second gateway was useless (you will have broken all reporting associations and parameters - that way we made own migration tool to fix that we will need to reconfigured all devices to get list of asociations/ parameters and that will broke a lot of not saying that may took few hours

38 minut temu, robw napisał:

For me:

▪ Better HUE support (comes with ZigBee below, perhaps).

▪ ZigBee devices support

As for guides, I'd like to see more full real-world working code and block examples for solving common home automation tasks. That will help beginners in home automation, and grow the community, and in the end giving better support to many people.

all that will take a lot of time

We can wrote for example driver for zigbee and ble to send frames by LUA but i can bet it is not that you wanted?

energy as it in HC2 is something what I;m not happy to have i want add device like energy meters, photovoltaics and having that with some other changing show on graphs

I want to react to some postponed features from my point of view. I was beta testing HC3 way before it was released, so i see progress made with Home Center.

ZigBee.

• It was originally planned for end of the year, but due to Covid-19 development was sloved, so i accept postoning there.
    • Also ZigBee is mess in terms of interoperability. Some interoperability have ZigBee lighting, but someone want, sensors and other wall plugs and another wants unicorn (yes, sarcasm).

Temperature charts panel:

• Every device showing temperature has chart and in General tab you can download .csv file.

Energy charts panel:

• If it will be like Temperature and Smoke in device, i would be happy.

Gateway connections with HC2 and HCL:

• @A.Socha, please can you add that higher on the list? We really miss this one for big and commercial projects.