Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmer 2 as remote for two other Dimmer 2 modules

hjd

Question

I have Dimmer2 modules connected to downlights on either end of a kitchen/dining room.  In the middle of the room I have another Dimmer2 connected to two momentary switches.

I want the S1 switch to remotely control the Dining Dimmer2 and the S2 switch to remotely control the Kitchen Dimmer2.

I have managed to configure the associations such that the switch on S1 will turn the Dining Dimmer2 on and off.

I can't for the life of me get the switch on S2 to do the same for the kitchen Dimmer2!

The Middle Dimmer2 is connected with a Bypass as load and is equidistant between the two other Dimmer2s.

Kitchen Spots = Node ID 38

Dining Spots = Node ID 60

Middle = Node ID 91

The Middle Dimmer2 has this association:

- EndPoint 0-Group 2 is a Single Channel Association for ID 60.

All other associations are clear.

I'm not clear on what EndPoint 0 and EndPoint1 represent in this case.

I need S1 to remotely on/off dimmer ID 60, and S2 to do ID 38.

I've read posts here, I've read the Fibaro documents and I've read Vesternet guides - all of which got me tantalisingly close.  Can anyone help get me all the way there?

Thanks,

3 answers to this question

28 minutes ago, hjd said:

I can't for the life of me get the switch on S2 to do the same for the kitchen Dimmer2!

"S TWO", correct? Not "S ONE"?

28 minutes ago, hjd said:

The Middle Dimmer2 has this association:

- EndPoint 0-Group 2 is a Single Channel Association for ID 60.

From the manual Group 2 means:

2nd Association Group „On/Off (S1)” is assigned to switch no. 1.

If you want S2 to control something:

4th Association Group „On/Off (S2)” is assigned to switch no. 2.

5th Association Group „Dimmer (S2)” is assigned to switch no. 2.

32 minutes ago, hjd said:

S2 to do ID 38.

I would put Device 38 in Group 4 of "the middle dimmer" - and remove 38 from other groups on any other device. And check scenes...

• Inquirer
  • 12 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

"S TWO", correct? Not "S ONE"?

Correct - I need the switch attached to S TWO on the middle dimmer to control the Dimmer2 for the kitchen.

13 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I would put Device 38 in Group 4 of "the middle dimmer" - and remove 38 from other groups on any other device. And check scenes...

I've done that now.  EndPoint0 has Group 2 Single -> ID60 and Group 4 Single -> ID38

EndPoints 1 and 2 have no associations.

And now nothing happens when I press either switch!

I'm still really unclear about what the EndPoints represent here.  If I look at associations for the S1 switch, I see EndPoint 0 and 1, the S2 switch shows EndPoint 0 and 2.

And what do you  mean by "check scenes"?  I'm effectively using my Fibaro Home Center 2 as an API->Z-Wave proxy for other systems.  This is my first foray into settings/associations beyond initial setup.

I can factory reset this device and start from scratch if you can advise which settings.

Thanks for your help.

55 minutes ago, hjd said:

And now nothing happens when I press either switch!

I don't own 3 x Dimmer 2 but 1 have 1x Dimmer 2 turning on/off 2 other devices, one using S1 and one using S2 so I am sure it works ;)

Maybe you accidentally removed the working association?

57 minutes ago, hjd said:

I'm effectively using my Fibaro Home Center 2

I have a HC3 and the dialog to set associations has changed considerably... But I can describe what you should have.

There are 3 associations:

Endpoint 0 - Group 1 - Controller Multichannel (that would be the M column on a HC2)

Endpoint 0 - Group 2 - Device 1 I want to control. There is no mention  of "multichannel" in this case so that would be the S column on a HC2.

Endpoint 0 - Group 4 - Device 2 I want to control. ....S column on a HC2.

Did you include any of your devices in "secure" mode by accident? Is there a "padlock icon" on the device (on the home page of your HC2)?

If you want to know what endpoints mean... It relates to the concept of slaves. If you have ever wondered why a devices has more "slaves" than you expect, here is the explanation

If you cannot get associations to work, I'd recommend you enable "Parameter 28. Scene activation functionality" and write a scene to process the events. I selected a random post on the forum for you to get started.

See manual to find out what the numbers  in that "if" statement mean

Please login or register to see this link.